General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ear Plugs and Ear buds Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Ear Plugs and Ear buds Questions?

I see alot of you guys post you wear ear plugs while riding, and some of you even wear ear buds with music i take it?

Do any of you guys who wear either one of these options while riding street have any issues hearing like ambulences or have you noticed losing any spacial awerness of your surroundings by getting lost in your own head with no surrounding sounds coming at you? or rocking out to the tunes and losing focus on the safety of your ride?

I mostly am interested in the ear buds options, as i miss hearing music while riding and the wind in my helmet and sound of my bike is very fun to hear for the first hour or so, but after that my ears are screaming for no more wind noise.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:20 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I wear them on trips over 30 miles, sometimes on shorter trips. I have never had problems hearing, especially after the ride The benefits are lower fatigue levels, saving your hearing, and additional safety due to not being drained or fatigued.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
almost always use ear plugs. big benefit in terms of less fatigue and no ringing after the ride which leads to hearing loss over time. No problem hearing horns, sirens etc.
I have tried some ear bud options but can't ignore that its a distraction - just something else going on, or changing songs, volume, or one bud shifts and you get more wind noise and then have to adjust volume etc etc - but on a long boring ride I have used them.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I use earbuds on my infrequent longer trips and enjoy them very much. I am VERY attentive to what's going on, so I haven't found that I lose awareness.
When I'm doing serious curvy road scratching I ditch the earbuds for earplugs.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:56 PM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
I use a chatterbox, i know here in washington as strange as it sounds but ear bud headphones are illegal but it is ok to wear earbud or ear plugs as long as no music is being played. Here the white cord hanging out of your helmet gets you pulled over, check your state laws first. It is legal to wire your HELMET for sound , as long as it is attached to the helmet.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i began wearing earplugs while driving my semi years ago. Once you become acclimated to the noise reduction, there's no going back. You simply know it's a marked improvement.

You can concentrate better and longer, your focus is sharper, your bike even sounds better, and it basically enhances the whole riding experience. You can buy a whole container of them at walmart for about 10.00 and they work well. you can dispose of them or wash them, but it is impotant to take the time to learn to install them correctly or the sound of a leaking earplug is annoying enough to make you stop and reinsert it. For example, to get mine in, I need to pull my earlobe down and back to get the one in. Sometimes I need to wet it slightly with saliva to get it to go in the whole way. Wear them correctly for a week and you'll be a convert.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I used to wear ear buds,,,, but switched to speakers. much more comfy.

And no I have no trouble hearing outside noises. I mostly only turn the music on for longer trips down the slab. Listening to the motor on spirited rides, and listening for cars in town.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
As a note, I run earplugs with my comm speakers in my helmet. The noises that plugs are eliminating are not the ones you want to listen to. Mainly the wind buffeting, which is the main cause of helmet noise.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I allways wear ear plugs when I ride. It helps to minimize the wind noise. As previously said it will help you concentrate more, with less distractions. I enjoy the sound of the engine, so thats all that I need. I have not had any problems hearing any emergency vehicles.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the responce. i am thinking about getting a box of the wal mart ones suggested by Nath. there is a set i saw online of eaplug spreakers for about 99 bucks. i am leaning towards those for the longer not in town short runs and just carry a pair or two of ear plugs in my bags for just in case.

i read the rules last night on music in cali. one ear only is ok. but i still think i will use the music just play it on low and the wind noise will be gone with or with out the music on.

seems win win to me.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 AM
MotoGP

Not entered on thread so I dragged the post below from my email notification:

Petebenner has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Ear Plugs and Ear buds Questions? - in the General Discussion forum of SuperHawk Forum.

This thread is located at: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...4&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
The ultimate in earplug comfort, Mack's silicone putty molds to the unique contours of any ear.
Doctor recommended to:

* Seal out water
* Help prevent swimmer's ear
* Provide protection after surgeries
* Help relieve flying discomfort
* Protect hearing from loud noises
* Provide non-toxic, non-allergenic protection
* Provides a better, more comfortable fit and seal than custom ear plugs

Image: http://www.macksearplugs.com/image.p...pg&w=350&h=350
Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
Not entered on thread so I dragged the post below from my email notification:

Petebenner has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Ear Plugs and Ear buds Questions? - in the General Discussion forum of SuperHawk Forum.

This thread is located at: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...4&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
The ultimate in earplug comfort, Mack's silicone putty molds to the unique contours of any ear.
Doctor recommended to:

* Seal out water
* Help prevent swimmer's ear
* Provide protection after surgeries
* Help relieve flying discomfort
* Protect hearing from loud noises
* Provide non-toxic, non-allergenic protection
* Provides a better, more comfortable fit and seal than custom ear plugs

Image: http://www.macksearplugs.com/image.p...pg&w=350&h=350
Nath, it was a spammer... So I guess he was deleted...
Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 AM
MotoGP

well thanks tweety. So, I guess this makes me a spammer by proxy then. haha Wait til my wife finds this out.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Just to add my two cents..........
I have tried the "industrial" 33 decibel variety and they cut out way too much noise. I moved on to a set that cut 25 decibels and they are better but in my opinion they still cut too much out as well. I have settled on ones that cut 18 decibels called "Wind Tamers". They are expensive at $10 a pair but I used one pair all riding season. They are washable of course and they cut just enough noise to protect your hearing but not too much so you're riding deaf. No matter what brand I recommend ones that cut around 18 decibels. Enjoy the ride!
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/wimoearpl.html

Last edited by NH-Raptor; 12-13-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
I love having my ear buds in on longer rides, i frequently drive 2 hrs one way from school to home and on the ride that i have done tons of times its nice to have music to jam too, i use Skull Canty Ti-tans extremely good sound and noise canceling but not so much that i cant hear sirens. But other than pretty long trips... i LOVE the sound of my twin so i go with nothing
Old 12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
MotoGP

I like the exhaust/engine sounds much better with earplugs and rides are much more enjoyable, intense and less enervating.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Squid

jnsmith0123 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, wearing earplugs whilst riding motorcycles can make your ride much more enjoyable; if you've never worn them, you won't believe how much less stressful it is to ride without wind noise drumming in your brain.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NH-Raptor
Just to add my two cents..........
I have tried the "industrial" 33 decibel variety and they cut out way too much noise. I moved on to a set that cut 25 decibels and they are better but in my opinion they still cut too much out as well. I have settled on ones that cut 18 decibels called "Wind Tamers". They are expensive at $10 a pair but I used one pair all riding season. They are washable of course and they cut just enough noise to protect your hearing but not too much so you're riding deaf. No matter what brand I recommend ones that cut around 18 decibels. Enjoy the ride!
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/wimoearpl.html
now that i think about it, this is an interesting idea. I'm gonna give that a try. Maybe it'll drown out some of the tinnitus. haha
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Squid

Woody42181 is on a distinguished road
I use the AO Safety Blockade earplug/headphones. They are very good earplugs and allow you to listen to your music at a low volume. You can still hear the surroundings and block out teh wind noise as long as you dont crack up the tunes too loud. also great for on the garden tractor.
You can get them cheap on ebay. ~$20.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Woody42181
I use the AO Safety Blockade earplug/headphones. They are very good earplugs and allow you to listen to your music at a low volume. You can still hear the surroundings and block out teh wind noise as long as you dont crack up the tunes too loud. also great for on the garden tractor.
You can get them cheap on ebay. ~$20.
that'll work woody. I sing to myself, but i don't think anyone else would want to listen to my off key repetitions of one or two musical phrases over and over and over again. But i like it.haha
Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
that'll work woody. I sing to myself, but i don't think anyone else would want to listen to my off key repetitions of one or two musical phrases over and over and over again. But i like it.haha
nath,
That wouldn't be "Ina Godda Da Vida" would it?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
nath,
That wouldn't be "Ina Godda Da Vida" would it?
That would be good but not likely because, i can only sing in english.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That would be good but not likely because, i can only sing in english.
No problem...just as long as it's not "It's a Small World".

Ha! Gotcha! Now you'll have that stupid song going through your head for the next few days.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM
MotoGP

haha. if you hear that I ran into the woods/off the road in an 80 mph sweeper, you'll know i was stuck on "it's a small world" and just drifted off.........in which case, you can consider yourself personally responsible. The truth be known, my self-inflicted hummings are more on the order of little Bunny Fu Fu, the wheels on the bus, and one of my favorites, the dora the explorer song, it's a map it's a map, it's a map, it's a map...............see, there i go again.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I need to wet it slightly with saliva to get it to go in the whole way.
A very useful skill...

I've got a pair of the expensive ear buds for music and I use them 90% of the time. The only times I don't are when the ride will be mostly in town/congested areas (and I stay far away from these places if I can help it) and morning commutes so I can hear the tires screeching behind me. Loud music is great but I keep it turned down just enough that it doesn't distract me. On some good roads I wouldn't even be able to tell what the last 5 songs were.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

haha. if you hear that I ran into the woods/off the road in an 80 mph sweeper, you'll know i was stuck on "it's a small world" and just drifted off.........in which case, you can consider yourself personally responsible. The truth be known, my self-inflicted hummings are more on the order of little Bunny Fu Fu, the wheels on the bus, and one of my favorites, the dora the explorer song, it's a map it's a map, it's a map, it's a map...............see, there i go again.
Oi wei, don't remind me... I had my girls niece over the other day... I love the little rug-rat dearly, but the music makes me want to kill myself...
Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM
MotoGP

Sometimes I need to wet it slightly with saliva to get it to go in the whole way.
Originally Posted by Hotbrakes
A very useful skill....
i was gonna say that sometimes I need to use a tweezers to pull it out, but seeing where your minds at, I'm glad i didn't.haha
Old 01-06-2011, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Oi wei, don't remind me... I had my girls niece over the other day... I love the little rug-rat dearly, but the music makes me want to kill myself...
haha, I know exactly how you feel, but i'm getting worried. The other day I caught myself watching sponge bob after my grandson left. WTF! That's a crazy *** program though. If i start singing "he lives in a pineapple under the sea"........I'll know for certain that I crossed over the border for the last time.haha
Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
MotoGP

haha, I know exactly how you feel, but i'm getting worried. The other day I caught myself watching sponge bob after my grandson left. WTF! That's a crazy *** program though. If i start singing "he lives in a pineapple under the sea"........I'll know for certain that I crossed over the border for the last time.haha
Ah... Watching the shows with them is one thing... When you start watching them on your own you know you have a problem...

I'm pretty sure there are therapy available...

The thing is, I'm not laughing too hard, since I'm under constant threat that the next rug-rat will be a permanent resident in this house... Then what is left of my brain will be washed away by sweet and happy tunes...

Oh, well... I'm pretty sure I won't miss my mind that much...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Ah... Watching the shows with them is one thing... When you start watching them on your own you know you have a problem...

I'm pretty sure there are therapy available...

The thing is, I'm not laughing too hard, since I'm under constant threat that the next rug-rat will be a permanent resident in this house... Then what is left of my brain will be washed away by sweet and happy tunes...

Oh, well... I'm pretty sure I won't miss my mind that much...
i don't know about washed away, but they may force you to open up a few doors you never knew were there before. We had 4 kids and 11 grandchildren so you know I can't be right. haha

as far as therapy goes, it's only effective for those who know they have a problem and want help with it. I know I got a problem, but i'm not the one who has to suffer for it. So let those that do get the therapy, huh>

Quick Reply: Ear Plugs and Ear buds Questions?