General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Regular or Premium in the Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
My religion is better than your religion! Oh sorry wrong argument.
No, its " My Islamic clip-style master link hates your christian press-on masterlink because you use the wrong gas and oil "

Old 06-08-2009, 03:54 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
there I think I'm done now.

Last edited by superhawk22; 06-08-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Squid

khanawalt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
No, its " My Islamic clip-style master link hates your christian press-on masterlink because you use the wrong gas and oil "

Well, there is no mention of octane or motorcycles in the Koran, but in the Bible there is at least the mention of a Honda. New Testament. "The disciples were all in one Accord..." Very crowded for an Accord.

Also, one of the kings of Israel was into British bikes. "The roar of David's Triumph was heard throughout the land."

Moses was a little rev-happy, apparently, as he threw a rod in the desert... some argue that he converted to a Shelby guy, since the rod turned into a snake, but that's up for interpretation.

God was a Mopar guy. "The Lord drove Adam and Eve out of the garden in his Fury."
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
If I may. While I realise the VTR is a four-stroke, years ago, when the Ski-Doo MXZ700 twin cylinder two-stroke snowmobile came out (Rotax engine, 2000), the mfr called for 87 octane (this was an engine putting out 122 hp out of 699 cc). Dyno tests (same dyno, same day) showed that running 91 octane (as opposed to 87) resulted in a 2 hp loss (not major but significant nonetheless). Barring detonation issues (which I have never experienced), I am not certain I want to pay more money for less performance.

I also recall reading in one of the dirt bike rags (Dirt Bike or Motocross Action) they did a comparo of 87, 89 and 91 octane. The ran the bikes for some time on each type and tore the engines apart to look at the insides. They found the 91 resulted in residue on various parts, the best being the 89 octane. Not sure how relevant this still is but it made for an interesting read.

Last point. I recall from my time working in the petroleum industry that the profit margins for premium were MUCH higher (cost to produce was higher by 1.5-2 cents per litre but price at teh pump was 12 cents higher, the spread being.... profit). Any wonder they heavily promote premium as being the cure-all for engines? Food for thought.
I find it interesting that this whole argument seems to be revolving around the octane rating of fuel, and not the quality of the fuel. Octane rating and energy output are not the same thing. Octane prevents detonation and energy produces power. Two fuels of the same octane rating can produce different power outputs. You can buy an ethanol blended fuel that gives the same octane rating as a non-blended fuel, but the energy output will not be the same because of the ethanol, which has a lower energy yield.

In Australia the better quality fuels, that have the best chemical blend, also happen to be the higher octane fuels. Do we need higher octane? No. But better quality fuel giver better power output and burn cleaner in your engine.

This was explained to me by a chemical engineer that worked for one of the largest fuel companies in Australia. He was a car and bike enthusiast and owned a VTR.

I could tell the difference between ethanol blended and non-blended fuels in my Suzuki when I tried it. It was not as smooth with the ethanol in it. No doubt about it. Both of them were 95 octane fuels, so the octane rating was not a factor. I won't use ethanol blended fuels now after that experiment.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:02 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm, I have preemo in there currently, and there are some carb stutters on decel, I'll have to try 89 next and note differences, then 87...
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Ethanol is **** fuel, on top of being a money scam to push up corn prices.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Here is the experiment we did to resolve this conundrum in my head once and for all. I encourage you all to try it if you are interested but it answered the question in my head for my specific bike.

A buddy took my bike to the gas station near the corner of my house to fill it up every time. Once there, he was to ask the first person he saw to randomly choose which octane would go in the tank. After he filled it up, he would record the octane used, current mileage, reset the odometer and return to my house. Not knowing what octane I was running, I would then take back the bike and we went for a ride until the tank was nearly empty. At this point I would critique how I felt the bike performed. The process was started all over again until all octane’s had been used.

In the end, I found I could not tell the difference performance wise however I did get slightly better mileage with, believe it or not, mid grade octane. Keep in mind though these results are specific to my bike using gas from the station near my house.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I keep typing and then realizing that I really don't care what someone thinks their joe rocket boots feel like while riding with 87,91,93,95, etc octane. Who cares?! use whatever the hell gives you wood.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Remember that mid grade is many times a mix of the two other grades.
And in many formulations, and i dont know why, mixing unleaded and super made a blend that ran better in our motocross race bikes when we didnt use racing gas.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Squid

Gorwin64 is on a distinguished road
fuel type

Well after reading all this stuff I tired to check it out myself and put regular in the 'hawk for a change. I feel like the engine is smoother revving on regular for the most part, but I did notice a lot more "pings" when tooling around town. Im going to finish the tank out before I make my decision but I have a feeling my next tank will be premium.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gorwin64
... but I have a feeling my next tank will be premium.

Amen Brother, amen.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Do we need a moment of silence now? lol
Old 06-17-2009, 09:09 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
Remember that mid grade is many times a mix of the two other grades.
And in many formulations, and i dont know why, mixing unleaded and super made a blend that ran better in our motocross race bikes when we didnt use racing gas.

Also remember that low grade has the highest turn over at whatever gas station you go to = fresher fuel. Who knows how long the premium has been in their tanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by khanawalt
God was a HONDA guy. "The Lord drove Adam and Eve out of the garden while riding his Fury."
Fixed it for you!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Old 03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Back Marker

steve29 is on a distinguished road
So what grade does Honda recommend? Have no owners manual with my bike.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Squid

Type T is on a distinguished road
I see the thread is old now but....WOW !! 87, 89, 91, 92... how many types of gas do you guys have in the United states?? Here in Bulgaria (and in whole europe as general) we have 95 and 100 octanes only!!! It is unnecessary high octane for the Hawk and expensive as ***** I "google calculator"-ed a little and calculated price here is $5.70 per gallon. Wish I lived there......

Last edited by Type T; 04-20-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve29
So what grade does Honda recommend? Have no owners manual with my bike.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Type T
I see the thread is old now but....WOW !! 87, 89, 91, 92... how many types of gas do you guys have in the United states?? Here in Bulgaria (and in whole europe as general) we have 95 and 100 octanes only!!! It is unnecessary high octane for the Hawk and expensive as ***** I "google calculator"-ed a little and calculated price here is $5.70 per gallon. Wish I lived there......
Europe uses the RON octane rating, while the US uses the AKI octane rating..

So your 95 is about the same as our 91.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old 04-20-2010, 11:50 AM
98' SH stock
Squid

Moehawk005 is on a distinguished road
mime always get 91 and she pulls better
Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Rocket fuel. try it.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
I drink alot of whiskey and then just **** in my tank. Pulls the wheel at 25mph in 5th gear... You guys are funny
Old 04-20-2010, 03:33 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fuzzuki
Honda made the damn bike.
If they say 87 or higher. I think they would know best.
If you run anything over 87, you're waisting your money.
Unless you have modified your bike..
Old 04-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Unless you have modified your bike..
Lazn is right. I would run 91 (or equivalent) on a modified bike. I have run one tank each of 87, 89, 91. Bike definitely start and runs best on 91 and get the best gas mileage as well, ~32 city, ~42 highway.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I've often wondered why Honda gave the VTR such a low conservative compression ratio.

The only reason I can think of is that they intended it to run on regular gas for convenience.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RequestTheOverhead
Lazn is right. I would run 91 (or equivalent) on a modified bike. I have run one tank each of 87, 89, 91. Bike definitely start and runs best on 91 and get the best gas mileage as well, ~32 city, ~42 highway.
Makes sense. I used to run 87 octane, but after modding the windscreen, I've had to run premium.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Going Mach Chicken
Squid

RequestTheOverhead is on a distinguished road
Ok maybe not a wind screen.... I was implying engine modifications. Touche.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Squid

Rockysv is on a distinguished road
Well i have only put one tank of fuel into my 99-SH and was looking for some advice on fuel grade-- i'll try Reg grade - but my question is - will the grade of fuel - smooth out low speed response - my SH is a bit rough at 2500

just a note - i have a 2000 Dodge van and i always ran 86 in it and about 50,000 mi it started pinging so i went to 89 , and it went away - and about 70k it started pinging again so i went to 93 , and it runs fine -- the Dodge dealer said it needed new injectors , and de carbon the heads -- how much ? 800-1000$ well reg gas is 2,60 and 93 is 20cents more --$10 a tank more--
thats 80 tank fulls --