General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Regular or Premium in the Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Regular or Premium in the Hawk?

Hi guys, I don't know if this was ever covered, I tried searching, honest.
Will Regular gas (89 Octane) be ok for VTR or does it require Premium (91 and up)?
Stock filter (plastic flap cut), stock exhaust (hole or two in the baffle).

Thanks much
Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Regular's good for me, and the bike is fine with it.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
regular only (unless your bike is runnng hi-comp pistons). Save money and enjoy better performance.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
High compression Moriwaki pistons and cams here. Experimented with brands and grades and tested milage while at it. Tolerates 89 octane just fine, very slight knock on 87, pulls like a motivated mule on 91/92.

Can't stand Conoco gas, milage goes away 30%, other national brands don't seem to differentiate themselves. 'Course I've seen generic trucks refilling cross brand storage tanks.

Anyone out there experiment with octane booster?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
MotoGP

stay away from Octane booster as many rely on methanol and the stuff will attack the rubber diaphragm in the petcock. Don't ask me how I know.....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Irun 87 octane without issues.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:38 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I've always run 93 in every bike I've owned, burns slower and cleaner. Worth the .20 a gallon IMO
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

I've read that burning hi-test in lower compression engines leads to deposits.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
used to run 93 in her; read the posts - ran 87, didn't care for it; 89 is fine for my stock drivetrain
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
My VTR runs fine on 87.

Question for anybody who knows.

If I install the FactoryPro 4 degree ignition advance rotor, is 87 still OK?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, I'll go down to 89.
Just got so used to using 93 in my 86 Gixxer, didn't even give it a second thought whe got the Hawk.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
If it has a stock engine, it will run just fine on 87 octane.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
87 works the same as 92 did for me before so I don't see any need for the pricier stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
I use 93 in all my motorcycle, dirt bikes and four wheelers.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Like others have said: Unless you have high comp pistons & cam work, run regular 87 or 89 in it, that's all it needs.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
The higher octane ratings are for fuels that resist combustion more. High compression engines need more resistance to prevent detonation or predetonation aka pinging. Putting high octane fuel in a low compression engine like the SH will result in the fuel burning slower and later in the compression stroke. That will reduce power and efficiency thus resulting in poor fuel mileage although the power loss may not be significant enough to notice. Because of the low compression engine in the 'Hawk 87 is recommended. But I'm sure the oil companies don't mind you donating a couple extra dollars every time you fill up.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:59 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
A fuel engineer I used to know changed my mind on this subject. When it comes to octane there is no argument - a low compression engine does not need high octane fuel to prevent detonation.

BUT, he advised using the high octane stuff from a known refinery anyway. His reason was that in Australia the higher octane fuels also have a better blend, and whilst the higher octane is not needed you are getting a better fuel. It will burn cleaner, and will contain more energy to give you more power. Octane rating and energy level is not the same thing. Ethanol is a good example of this, as it has a high octane rating but is low in energy compared to a normal fuel.

So fuel quality is the issue, and in Australia the better fuels are the higher octane fuels.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
this is sounding like a "refined" oil thread...
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
SuperSport

I run pure nitromethane in my bike. It's expensive at $60 per gallon, but well, only the best for my baby.

Your bike is designed to run on regular. Premium isn't better gas, its different gas. But Abdullah thanks you for buying into the misconception.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Back Marker

Malice is on a distinguished road
I run 91 octane in mine.
________
Arizona Medical Marijuana Dispensary

Last edited by Malice; 05-01-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Regular is fine. I run midgrade at sea level.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I run 91 in mine. I honestly don't know if there's a benefit to it. and I don't care. I can afford it, and even if the higher octane doesn't run cleaner, you can bet that the 87 doesn't run the cleanest between the 2. so 91. maybe it helps maybe not.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
My VTR runs fine on 87.

Question for anybody who knows.

If I install the FactoryPro 4 degree ignition advance rotor, is 87 still OK?
Over advanced timing is the number one cause of detonation on cars with adjustable ignition timing, so if you're bumping it up 4 degrees, you should bump up the octane as well.

I run Chevron mid grade, 89 octane, in my bikes. My 4x4 Toyotas get 87. I put a lot more acceleration load on my bikes.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by swordfish
even if the higher octane doesn't run cleaner, you can bet that the 87 doesn't run the cleanest between the 2. so 91. maybe it helps maybe not.
That used to be the case with some brands, but not any more. So yeah, it really doesn't help.

There's no possible way to justify putting premium in a stock Superhawk. The only truthful explanation left is, "I like paying extra for zero benefit."
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why people can't get it! I have been building engines for over 25 years. Carb'ed, fuel injected, aircraft, cars, motorcycle, jets, etc... The simple truth is low compression engines will not burn high octane fuels as efficiently as a low octain fuel! Low compression engines can not compress (thus heat) the fuel enough to properly ignite the fuel, period! No matter what you do to the timing it will still not properly ignite the fuel.

It has always made me laugh when someone puts a race gas in a stock engine and they think that they somehow they gained HP just by adding gas. All they did was loose power and somehow this excites them.

Your (stock) Hawk will run its best on 87 octane fuel, if it pings you may want to have your timing checked.

My hawk is running 12.5:1 compression and just loves 104 VP and 100LL avgas.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by k-d-williams
I don't understand why people can't get it! I have been building engines for over 25 years. Carb'ed, fuel injected, aircraft, cars, motorcycle, jets, etc... The simple truth is low compression engines will not burn high octane fuels as efficiently as a low octain fuel! Low compression engines can not compress (thus heat) the fuel enough to properly ignite the fuel, period! No matter what you do to the timing it will still not properly ignite the fuel.

It has always made me laugh when someone puts a race gas in a stock engine and they think that they somehow they gained HP just by adding gas. All they did was loose power and somehow this excites them.

Your (stock) Hawk will run its best on 87 octane fuel, if it pings you may want to have your timing checked.
Is your bike a Diesel? Gasoline engines do not use compression to ignite the air/fuel mixture, they use an ignition spark. Heat of compression is used to complete the vaporization process, thereby burning more of the fuel when it is ignited by the spark.

Tetraethyl Lead was added to gas, back in the early thirties I believe, to prevent detonation in the newer high compression engines (1929 Model A Fords had 4:1 compression and ran fine on 60 to 70 octane).

In my 34 years of teaching Vocational Automotives, I often had students ask if running higher octane improves performance. I always told them NO. Higher octane prevents detonation in higher compression engines. But that doesn't even hold true with some new engines with Direct Injection that can run on Regular at up to 12:1 or more.

The reason I've always run Mid Grade 89 in my bikes is that I like to ride the twisties, and here in California that usually means going up a mountain. I accelerate hard coming out of uphill corners, which puts more load on the engine making it more prone to detonation.

An extra 30 cents per fill-up is worth it to me for the insurance against blowing a hole in a piston.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:43 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I run 87. I have a theory on this which some may consider. High octane fuel sucks in this bike. If its better, run 110 and try to break 7k rpm or 120mph. You have to tune your bike for the fuel you are running. You could run the 110 octane if tuned properly, but you would be going down just a few jet sizes.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Is your bike a Diesel? Gasoline engines do not use compression to ignite the air/fuel mixture, they use an ignition spark. Heat of compression is used to complete the vaporization process, thereby burning more of the fuel when it is ignited by the spark.

Tetraethyl Lead was added to gas, back in the early thirties I believe, to prevent detonation in the newer high compression engines (1929 Model A Fords had 4:1 compression and ran fine on 60 to 70 octane).

In my 34 years of teaching Vocational Automotives, I often had students ask if running higher octane improves performance. I always told them NO. Higher octane prevents detonation in higher compression engines. But that doesn't even hold true with some new engines with Direct Injection that can run on Regular at up to 12:1 or more.

The reason I've always run Mid Grade 89 in my bikes is that I like to ride the twisties, and here in California that usually means going up a mountain. I accelerate hard coming out of uphill corners, which puts more load on the engine making it more prone to detonation.

An extra 30 cents per fill-up is worth it to me for the insurance against blowing a hole in a piston.

OK, maybe i should have elaborated a bit more. You get absolutely no benefit in running a higher octane gas than what the manufacturer suggest unless you are getting a knock or pinging sound, then step up to the next higher octane.

I was just making the statement that for some they think that adding a higher octane increases hp or performance, only a increase of compression will result in added hp (when speaking of the compression chamber and not the rest of the engine)!

No my bike is not a diesel! My thought process was a high compression ratio is desirable for high octane fuel because it allows an engine to extract more mechanical energy from a given mass of air-fuel mixture due to its higher thermal efficiency. High ratios place the available oxygen and fuel molecules into a reduced space along with the adiabatic heat of compression - causing better mixing and evaporation of the fuel droplets. Thus they allow increased power at the moment of ignition and the extraction of more useful work from that power by expanding the hot gas to a greater degree.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Over advanced timing is the number one cause of detonation on cars with adjustable ignition timing, so if you're bumping it up 4 degrees, you should bump up the octane as well.

I run Chevron mid grade, 89 octane, in my bikes. My 4x4 Toyotas get 87. I put a lot more acceleration load on my bikes.
Thanks surfer. I'm thinking the same way, just don't know if four more degrees of advance would cause trouble on 87. But unless I hear otherwise from several guys who have been running long term on regular with the advance change, I'll go higher octane when I get around to installing the rotor.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
SuperBike

After reading what I wrote, it never crossed my mind that someone would think i was using compression to ignite the fuel such as a diesel. I just assumed everyone knew there was a spark involved. My bad, sorry!

Quick Reply: Regular or Premium in the Hawk?