General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

For those coming to Deals Gap this week please read

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
For those coming to Deals Gap this week please read

Recently we have had a large number of incidents here involving riders being flown out by lifestar. When coming to Deals Gap please ride within your limits. I understand that all of us have a different skill set when it comes to riding so there is no shame in who gets to the store or the overlook first. Take your time, ride in your limits, and please stay in your lane. For some reason when people get here there is an immediate sense to show who's dick is bigger. The reason I say this is that 3 Fridays ago LifeStar made 5 flights out and EMT also made a handful of trips out. This has been going on every week for a good part of a month now. I want all of us to have a good time, go home and come back again next year. I will be the first to admit that I am far from the fastest one up there and I've been passed quite a bit. If you get passed just let them go it's not worth trying to keep up. Remember we're here just to have fun and make some new friends.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Superstock

Verne
I second this. Everyone needs to remember to ride their own ride and not get caught up with going fast up there.

Verne
Old 06-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
can someone post a link to the thread describing the details of this ride/meet?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
That's it Rock! Inside the lines isn't good enough - inside the turns is.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I am with ya on that one, I have no races to win, nor is there any prize money at the end...That is my favorite saying..."Ride your own Ride"
Old 06-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Hey do you have to pay for LifeStar (Med-Evac in canada) in the states? If the trip is required it's a free chopper flight here

Bet it wouldn't exactly be cheap!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Also remember-
License
Current Registration
Insurance card

Plus, I have a homemade "emergency info" sheet I keep in the vest pocket inside my leathers.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Superstock

Verne
Nope not free. From my home town to Vanderbilt Med. in Nashville, TN which is just under fifty miles it was $12,000 USD. If I had known it was that much and I was going to be in the hospital for 3 months I would have made them circle the lake first.

Verne
Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I've read that emergency personnel are trained to look in your cellphone's address book for 'Emergency' or 'Home'. Program in your next of kin, blood type, and medical info to help them out.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
ouch. I laughed at your joke, then felt bad for laughing. Way to screw with my emotions. That sucks, but I am glad you made it through.. 3 months is tooo long. But I guess you have to wonder if you would have made it (or been in more pain?) without the Helicopter.

On a serious note, whenever I get leathered up and go riding I have a similar system to Brian A, I used to tape it to the inside of my helmet, but then I was told it's usually the last thing to come off in an emergency response, so now I have it on an inside pocket. Hope to think people would look there, anyone else do this and where do you put it.

I am so jealous of the Gap, too far away for me. Stay safe you lucky bastards.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, yeah. You might consider one of those stickers that say not to remove your helmet until the possibilities of head injury are ruled out. You do not want your buddy yanking off your bucket while you're knocked out.

God, this seems so morbid...
but we have to think of this stuff in advance.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips, being away from home this is a good idea...Also, letting folks know where you will be and a route, times ...etc...etc...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Few other comments-

Pretty much forget cell phone coverage anywhere along The Dragon. It is possible in a few spots on a good day, when you hold your mouth just right....
But don't count on it.
I know you can get Verizon coverage about 10 miles before you hit Robbinsville going south on 129.
Coverage is fine all around Robbinsville and I believe pretty good along the Cherohala Skyway and Tellico Plains area.

I have always left the contact info for the store at Deal's Gap in the event I was needed in a family emergency.

And DO BRING AN EXTRA KEY for your bike and your auto, stored on your person or hidden on your bike/auto.

There is a pay phone at the store at Deal's Gap. Prepaid phone cards are way cheaper than calling collect :/
Old 06-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Superstock

Verne
Don't feel bad. If you can't laugh about it what can you laugh at.

The main reason I went in Life Flight was because the were afraid the rought ride in the ambulance would not be good for my broken knees and hip.

Verne
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 AM
Superstock

Verne
I have several friends that are Police, EMT's and Fire Fighters and they all say before one name put "I.C.E." Which stands for In Case of Emergency. So I have it before my emergency contact .

Verne

Originally Posted by Birdoprey
I've read that emergency personnel are trained to look in your cellphone's address book for 'Emergency' or 'Home'. Program in your next of kin, blood type, and medical info to help them out.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Hey guys. Rider mag did an article about Life Flight last month. Apparently it can cost upwards of $25k for a trip. THe article also says that your current insurance policy may or may not cover this cost. There is supplemental insurance available that pays specifically for the airlift. Anyone needing a copy of the article, let me know and I'll get you one, or the details.

Also, as far as emergency contact info, someone sells a little pocket that attaches to the outside of your helmet, which holds a card containing blood type, allergies, etc...I don't remember who right now, but believe I saw it advertised in the back of one of the monthlies.

Also, I am a first responder, and had not heard of the ICE phone thing, so it may be a regional practice. You can bet I'll look for it in the future tho.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Superstock

Verne
I think this is what you are talking about for the pouch. I got this one off the internet some time last year and putting it on the helmet for my trip.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Superstock

Verne
And a buddy of mine did this for me. Kinda funny.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Squid

SD996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
When coming to Deals Gap please ride within your limits. I understand that all of us have a different skill set when it comes to riding so there is no shame in who gets to the store or the overlook first. Take your time, ride in your limits, and please stay in your lane. For some reason when people get here there is an immediate sense to show who's dick is bigger. If you get passed just let them go it's not worth trying to keep up. Remember we're here just to have fun and make some new friends.

I think this is great advice that every rider should make their own...especially new riders. There's a lot of mountain and canyon riding in S Cal. People are constantly getting over their heads. I've done it myself. You just have to back off and ride your own ride. Riding fast in the twisties is not something you can fake!

BTW, if anyone is ever in San Diego and wants to ride, look me up. I don't have an extra bike, but know of a place that rents them. I have a 300 mile loop that I do which is about 75% twisties. Start at sea level up to about 6000'...