General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Questioning purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:59 PM
Squid

ESwan is on a distinguished road
Questioning purchase

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. I used to own a hawk a few years back (regret ever selling it). I now have an opportunity to buy another from a co-worker. He has dropped it a few times so most of the plastics are off. However, he does have all the replacement eBay parts for it.

I went to his place to check it out. It needs manual ccts (still had stock ones on at 50k miles), new front fork seals and a valve stem for the rear tire. I wasnt able to start it up since it had a dead battery. He started it up the next morning and took a video of it for me. Which leads me to my main question:

Is this engine noise typical?

It's been a while since I owned one and wasnt sure if it was something to be concerned about. I am planning on taking it to a bike performance shop and have them diagnose it before I buy it. However I was watching some Superhawk videos on YouTube and they sounded about the same.

Anyone here willing to share their two cents on the sound of the engine in this video? I know it's not the best video/audio, but I thought it would be with a shot to either put my mind at ease or be able to further diagnose myself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dfstkfA2u2KpnQtx6

One thing I've missed most about owning a Superhawk is staying up to date on this forum. Thanks for any input.

God bless,
Erik
Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Random question but, does it have the filter and air box cover in place?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Squid

Yes, air filter and box cover are in place.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
It's hard to tell from the audio, but I don't recognize the pulsing sound.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:59 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah a little hard to tell and I've been breathing in old gas fumes all day. Exhaust leak?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:44 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Sounds okay but there's a 'ticking' pulsing sound - which could be as simple as an airleak in the exhaust system. (Failed graphite gasket between header & link pipe / crush copper gasket in the manifold)?? CCTs failure is binary dependent on the ickle spring in the mechanism breaking - it either works or it doesn't.

Looks pretty standard - but from what yo say sounds unridden and neglected of late so get it cheap, service it (easy to work on and lots of knowledge here) address the obvious issues and get it back into ship shape.

Last edited by Wicky; 05-12-2019 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:37 AM
Squid

Thank for the input. My plan was to fix the valve stem, replace the front fork seals, install manual ccts and change oil/filter.

Are there any other maintenance items that should be addressed if the bike hasn't been ridden in a year and a half?
Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Doesn't sound typical to me. That ticking noise is concerning. I'd definitely want to know what it was before I bought the bike. Like said, it's hard to pinpoint from that poor quality vid.

Welcome back btw.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sounds good buy it.

These motors sound weird recorded since they are mostly bass in person. It idles smoothly and has no vtr hiccup so I say its fine.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ESwan
Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here. I used to own a hawk a few years back (regret ever selling it). I now have an opportunity to buy another from a co-worker. He has dropped it a few times so most of the plastics are off. However, he does have all the replacement eBay parts for it.

I went to his place to check it out. It needs manual ccts (still had stock ones on at 50k miles), new front fork seals and a valve stem for the rear tire. I wasnt able to start it up since it had a dead battery. He started it up the next morning and took a video of it for me. Which leads me to my main question:

Is this engine noise typical?

It's been a while since I owned one and wasnt sure if it was something to be concerned about. I am planning on taking it to a bike performance shop and have them diagnose it before I buy it. However I was watching some Superhawk videos on YouTube and they sounded about the same.

Anyone here willing to share their two cents on the sound of the engine in this video? I know it's not the best video/audio, but I thought it would be with a shot to either put my mind at ease or be able to further diagnose myself.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dfstkfA2u2KpnQtx6

One thing I've missed most about owning a Superhawk is staying up to date on this forum. Thanks for any input.

God bless,
Erik
Could be as simple as a crank case vent hose off, pair valve hose leak, air box on but no filter or more.

But it at a price you can recover for parts you can see