General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

cv carbs

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 AM
Squid

wheels is on a distinguished road
cv carbs

Well guys the vtr is now running with manual cam chain tensioners ,sound great thanks every one (theft recover bike) .now idles great but front cv carb doesn't want to raise vacuum slide off idle ,? go back and reclean carb these were cleaned over night in carb dip they looked clean blew through all ports . I am a European car tech . thanks for everyone's help.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:47 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
maybe the slide diagphram has a hole in it?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:59 AM
Squid

going to check tonight ,or there is a restriction in a vacuum circuit .just relieved it started and sounded okay , again thanks for everyone's input
Old 05-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Might not have a good seal on the top. Its tricky to get it just right at times. To check you can blow into the small fat rubber hose on the side of the carb. If it rises then its ok, if not you do not have a good seal.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Squid

little section of upper diaphragm rolled on me live and learn
Old 05-07-2019, 05:28 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
Yup, its happened to me a few times.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:44 AM
Squid

more questions

does anyone know what main jet size will work in Texas with carbs rejetted and adj needles and stock air box ? it has 190s in it now
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wheels
does anyone know what main jet size will work in Texas with carbs rejetted and adj needles and stock air box ? it has 190s in it now
"Adj needles" runs a whole big range.
Best to start a thread with some specifics, air cleaner, airbox or stack mods, jet kit brand and model, needle clip position now, main, pilot, fuel screw settings now..
What is it doing you dislike, what do you want from it.

There is no perfect jetting for every bike, folks can give you a starting point and even that makes assumptions
Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Squid

jetting in tx

bike idles okay sputters of idle .carbs have been cleaned 2 times they are clean.2.5 turns out on fuel mixture,45 pilots (rear cylinder 190 main) unknown jet kit :silver needles with allen bolts on bowls just trying to fit a basic starting point.or possible another issue?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Squid

possible a factory pro kit

because of allen bolts in float bowls ?
Old 05-08-2019, 07:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

bike idles okay sputters of idle .carbs have been cleaned 2 times they are clean.2.5 turns out on fuel mixture,45 pilots (rear cylinder 190 main) unknown jet kit :silver needles with allen bolts on bowls just trying to fit a basic starting point.or possible another issue?
Carbs cleaned... no disrespect intended, but "carbs cleaned" means a lot of different things.

From carb assemblies sprayed with brake clean, to them being damaged when "dipped" in carb cleaner, to disassembled to the individual part level, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...eshment-35163/
every passage and port cleaned and flow checked, every service item, rubber and otherwise replaced. Bodies checked for vacuum leaks at the throttle shafts, choke valves.

And lots of other ways in between

So where on the scale of carb clean do you feel your at?

Id guess the most common carb kit is the DynoJet. A search here will find a pic of the DJ needles...perhaps you could compare to yours? The DJ kits has the installer add a lift hole to one vacuum valve..does yours have the single stock hole or 2?
If it has the 2 lift holes, Id say download the DJ install instructions, and use their suggested setup as a starting point.

I never did get the DJ kit to work as I wanted. I found a modified OEM needle set up that works well in Central Texas on my bike, and am about to do a HRC Stack and modified Factory Pro jet kit setup

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-08-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Squid

carb clean

well sorry about that like I mentioned I'm a European car tech ,to me carb cleaning means completely disassemble and clean blow through all passages they need to be clean enough to eat off of lol
Old 05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Oh and have you adjusted the TPS? Did you Sync the carbs?
Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Squid

carb set up

I will keep your suggestion on carbs ,in mind
thank you guys
Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

well sorry about that like I mentioned I'm a European car tech ,to me carb cleaning means completely disassemble and clean blow through all passages they need to be clean enough to eat off of lol
Good, well done.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
How do you know it's not moving? Are you checking sitting still in neutral? If so, mine never move in that situation. You have to be riding it, and I can't imagine how you would know that was happening.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Squid

tp sensor

found the tread will adjust and also read about tank vacuum valve causing problems
Old 05-09-2019, 06:12 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
How do you know it's not moving? Are you checking sitting still in neutral? If so, mine never move in that situation. You have to be riding it, and I can't imagine how you would know that was happening.
Now you got me curious

Id assume if you twisted the throttle Revs rose quickly the slides would have to move an easily observable amount? But darned if I've ever had a VTR running with the intake tract off except for carbs.

I test the seal and confirm vacuum valve is working with a little air pressure before I install them...

But you do have me curious, I have some new Dr Honda Stacks to install along with a newer version Factory Pro Carb kit, fuel, coolant vac line quick disconnects in a few weeks, I'll look to see if I can observe carb vacuum valves moving on my bike..
Old 05-10-2019, 05:14 AM
Squid

update

after researching they must have dj kits in them 50 pilot ,5 position needle 190 mains front and rear .so I believe I will start with 48 pilots picked up local .slides are 2 hole still . it also seems the 190s are pretty big for a stock bike with slip on earlier in the post when running the bike one slide would not lift when increasing throttle. that's when I found diaphragm rolled .the other was visible working. again thanks for everyone's help.I am still on fence about the mains to start with?
Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

STart with the install instructions for the Kit you think you have http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1185.pdf

Of note "slides are 2 hole still" Slides OEM were single hole, only the DJ Kit far as I remember has you drill the second hole.

The issue is, you have no idea if you have a full DJ kit, some other needle swapped in, DJ sized jets or some other sized jet.

Likely you can do trial and error testing/ parts swapping till it runs ok..... But with the time it takes to swap jets, change needles......Id toss what is in there, epoxy up one lift hole and start with a new fresh Factory Pro jet kit
Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Squid

oh sorry the bowls have allens and a 5 position needle which is what factory pro uses . I think they are f pro
Old 05-10-2019, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
STart with the install instructions for the Kit you think you have http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1185.pdf

Of note "slides are 2 hole still" Slides OEM were single hole, only the DJ Kit far as I remember has you drill the second hole.

The issue is, you have no idea if you have a full DJ kit, some other needle swapped in, DJ sized jets or some other sized jet.

Likely you can do trial and error testing/ parts swapping till it runs ok..... But with the time it takes to swap jets, change needles......Id toss what is in there, epoxy up one lift hole and start with a new fresh Factory Pro jet kit
Correction, stock slides have 2 lift holes (HRC jet kit slides only have one) and the DJ kit has you drill a third one. FWIW, VTR guru Roger Ditchfield does not recommend drilling the extra lift hole for street use.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
Correction, stock slides have 2 lift holes (HRC jet kit slides only have one) and the DJ kit has you drill a third one. FWIW, VTR guru Roger Ditchfield does not recommend drilling the extra lift hole for street use.
THANK YOU.....

You are absolutely correct....its that third offset hole....DJ has you drill......
I remembered repairing one hole from an old DJ install. .....and did the 2 - 1 thing...not remembering it was a 3rd hole..

Nice catch..
Old 05-13-2019, 05:52 AM
Squid

so now after running it awhile set up 48 pilots ,mixture screws f 21/4 rear 2.5 turns, front slide 1 lift hole rear slide strock,factory pro kit needles at 3 postion out of 5,frt needle shimmed .030 rear shimmed .040 .main 185 frt and rear 190 .will change mains when they come in ,mixture screw will need to be turned in very rich at idle .ps already checked fuel shut off valve, any comments?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:22 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
Adjust the tps if you haven't done it yet . I have 3 sets of carbs, #1 Dynojet kit. #2 Factory Pro. On this set I ran 45 pilots, 2.5 turns out on both carbs,needles 4th groove from top using only the .010 oem shim,178 main on front carb and 180 main on rear carb. It ran good with a K&N filter,better with a stock filter. I ran this setup for 10 years,then bought set # 3. This set is 45 pilots, 2.5 turns out on both carbs,stock needles shimmed with oem .010 shim plus .020 shim, 178 mains front and rear. I only use Keihin jets. It runs the best with this setup,great throttle response from bottom to top. I am the original owner of this 98 with 87,000 smiles. I use an oem air filter and it has the original Two Bros. pipes I installed at 35 miles.

Last edited by ascothawk; 05-13-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ascothawk
Adjust the tps if you haven't done it yet . I have 3 sets of carbs, #1 Dynojet kit. #2 Factory Pro. On this set I ran 45 pilots, 2.5 turns out on both carbs,needles 4th groove from top using only the .010 oem shim,178 main on front carb and 180 main on rear carb. It ran good with a K&N filter,better with a stock filter. I ran this setup for 10 years,then bought set # 3. This set is 45 pilots, 2.5 turns out on both carbs,stock needles shimmed with oem .010 shim plus .020 shim, 178 mains front and rear. I only use Keihin jets. It runs the best with this setup,great throttle response from bottom to top. I am the original owner of this 98 with 87,000 smiles
Which factory pro kit? There are three currently.
And some changes from old kits to current offerings, so how old is your FP kit, or better did it come with emulsion tubes or not (that the change, no longer to..Speaking with FP, they did not feel the tubes made a difference over stock, they were provided so the installer was not having to clean the holes in the OEM ones, (and what I was as told was installers were NOT cleaning them or using the wrong tool and enlarging the holes leading to tuning issues)

Last edited by E.Marquez; 05-13-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Squid

because it was a used bike have no idea what kit I have but the emulsion tubes were in the right cylinders checked . Factory pro guy said to set the needles at 2 or 3rd position .
Old 05-13-2019, 04:31 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
The kit I used was CRB-H77-1.0 Config 10 I bought this on 9/23/99. I may be wrong, but I believe at this time their only other option was a pro kit with titanium needles.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Squid

set the tps right off, thanks for jetting info wheres the best place to purchase kehin jets 178 ?

Last edited by wheels; 05-14-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Squid

test drive

finally the long awaited 1st ride,,ran great what a wheelie monster lol my thanks to everyone for there help