Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Pocket Video Recorders

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
Pocket Video Recorders

I'm in the market for a pocket video recorder. I know many of you use them to record rides. I've looked at the Kodak's (Z3 &Z5), the Sony's, a JVC (WP10) and the Flips. I think the Flip is out since the support won't be there soon. I think one that is water resistant is a good idea. Don't know if the non changable battery is a good or bad thing. Also ease of downloading and editing is preferable. I know these things aren't perfect and you can't get everything for $200.00 or less. But, I'd like to know what works for you. The good and the bad. Please say if what you have stinks and you wouldn't buy it again.

Thanks as always.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
I have a Kodak Playsport ZX5, its waterproof to 10 feet, batterys are replaceable and inexpensive, records on an SDHC card and shoots in 1080p HD.....not to mention tough as nails...My 1 year old has tossed it a few times! We bought it just to use to record videos of our kid around the house, but now we take it everywhere. Its no bigger than an iphone too. Comes with a HDMI cable to connect to your tv and software editing and a usb cable/charger is included with it. Best 150 bucks we ever spent and well worth it.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I have a GoPro. Everything is shot wide angle. I got it from MotoMonkey - Amazon link-for $299 with the LCD backpack and all mount in the motorsports package. Charges via USB off computer or phone charger. Have used it on the bike, jet ski, kayak. Very cool high quality video and sound.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Gopro. I use it on vacations and while it does take fisheye shots, it is awesome. Maybe not pocket worthy but definitely worth looking into.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Squid

YellowBird is on a distinguished road
The Gopro looks like the way to go for ridged mounting for riding. I do need the pocket ability. Scooter72. Did you mean you have the ZX3? What I see is the 3 has the replaceable batteries and the 5 is fixed.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
My bad, it is the zx3. It is a great camera though, the Gopro is fantastic for a fixed mount, but the Kodak is great for a handheld and the price can't be beat.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Get the new GoPro2 when it comes out. Check their website.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I don't regret getting the Sony for under a buck fifty:
bloggie
Cost was an issue. If it weren't, I would have went w/ GoPro.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:20 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
+1 on the GoPro. I love mine, takes great footage, and very little distortion when mounted on a rumbly superhawk. Waterproof.

The new GoPro Hero2 is out now, which has a lot of added features for $299. Which means the original Hero is only $239 for the motorsports package.

I really want to get another, and the 3D housing so I can shoot 3D track footage. How bad *** would that be!!!!

Here's some video of the Superhawk camera mounted off the side of the tail with the suction mount.

Another vid of one of my WERA races on the FZR
Old 12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I have a REPLAY XD, which I loved except there is no Android app. When I bought it, the Replay company told me there was an app in development, so against my better judgement, I bought it.

I'm not liking my REPLAY XD near as much after waiting a year for the promised android app, and now being told it will only be available on the new camera model.

I was told at CES last year that the android app was in the works, and would be out soon. No mention was made of a new camera model, obviously, since they wanted to sell the model they had on hand. I specifically told them that I had no use for the camera without an android app since it has no viewfinder or LCD screen, and they reiterated that the android app was in the works and would be out soon.

Now, after the fact, REPLAY employees are denying that they ever said there was an android app in the works at all... until I named names of who I talked to at CES.

Then they shifted their story to "you would never been told the app was for the current camera line" which is crap, because they were not talking about the new model in development at all. Only that I should buy the REPLAY XD because it was great and the android app would be out soon.

These guys could become the only player in the market and I'd still never give them another dollar of my money. The way they dealt with me was in bad faith, and I am pretty done with them as a corporation.

Buy a GoPro, or buy anything else. Don't deal with these people.

Last edited by FTL900; 12-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.