General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Question for Jet-Hot customers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 06:27 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Question for Jet-Hot customers

I have a question for those of you who have used the exhaust coating services of Jet-Hot coatings. I am thinking of getting my Akrapovic header coated (inside and out) and was wondering if they take care to not coat the fitment areas (ie. where pipe sections slip into one another). As you may know, Akrapovic joints are all slip-fit (with no collars) and I don`t particularly feel like spending hours sanding and grinding away to get things to fit back together afterwards.

so, anyone?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Technically, they should not knowing this slips on to another. Also, mentionning it to the tech guy who's going to do the job, will help
clear up what you want/need to install back your pipes with no issues.

When I had my parts powder coated, my guy knew where to stop when I expained to him what I wanted. No reason why this should be any different.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Do an internet search on Jet-Hot, and read all the unhappy customer's remarks.

I went with NitroPlate, who was cheaper, and has a much better reputation. They are very friendly, and I was able to speak with the owner on the phone about my system.

Give them a call, it will be well worth your time.

James
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I have a question for those of you who have used the exhaust coating services of Jet-Hot coatings. I am thinking of getting my Akrapovic header coated (inside and out) and was wondering if they take care to not coat the fitment areas (ie. where pipe sections slip into one another). As you may know, Akrapovic joints are all slip-fit (with no collars) and I don`t particularly feel like spending hours sanding and grinding away to get things to fit back together afterwards.

so, anyone?
They will mask off obvious areas not designed for coating (flanges ect) But they will also mask off any other section you ask them to.

Last one I did, I shipped the pipe with painters blue tape covering the areas I did not want coated, took pictures and sent to the guy I was working with along with a text description of what I wanted covered, and what I did not.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM
MotoGP

Far as I know, Jet-Hot was the only spot to offer a coating for the inside (which is what I want). Anyone know of anyone else who also offers it?

In the end, if getting things coated means endless sanding adn grinding, I`ll just paint the damn thing. I had it coated locally a few years back and this is precisely what I ended up haivn to do (no more of that crap for me). Furthermore, the coating has not held up, so p*ss on that.....

I would have though, givne the volume of work that Jet-Hot does, that someone over there would be alert enough to be acquainted with such basic information/procédures. perhaps it`s time to open up my own coating service "Common Sense Coatings".....
Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
They will mask off obvious areas not designed for coating (flanges ect) But they will also mask off any other section you ask them to.

Last one I did, I shipped the pipe with painters blue tape covering the areas I did not want coated, took pictures and sent to the guy I was working with along with a text description of what I wanted covered, and what I did not.
thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 02:32 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Are you doing it for appearance or performance? I'm assuming for appearance since you said you'd just consider painting it. Unless you're going for black why not just polish it? Besides the cost of the materials it's free and once the pipe's been smoothed out it's much easier to keep shiny. Once you run the bike it'll turn this killer golden chrome hue.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Nitroplate coated the inside and outside of my exhaust. They did all the flanges too, and everything still slipped together just fine. The coating is not that thick.

I think mine cost like $9/foot, plus shipping. A very inexpensive and worthwhile upgrade!

James
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thedeatons
Nitroplate coated the inside and outside of my exhaust. They did all the flanges too, and everything still slipped together just fine. The coating is not that thick.

I think mine cost like $9/foot, plus shipping. A very inexpensive and worthwhile upgrade!

James
Did they market it to you as just a protective coating? Or a thermal barrier as well?
Old 01-15-2014, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

I want to do partially for appearance, also to protect the header. The main reason, however, is to keep heat in the pipe. Roger Ditchfield, who developed the VTRs (for HRC and Moriwaki) that were raced in BSB reported a 4 hp gain from heat-wrapping the pipes (all the way to the cans)..... Granted, this is on a race-tuned bike (making in excess of 150 bhp), but I can`t see it not being beneficial on my Stage 1 tuned VTR......
Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
I want to do partially for appearance, also to protect the header. The main reason, however, is to keep heat in the pipe. Roger Ditchfield, who developed the VTRs (for HRC and Moriwaki) that were raced in BSB reported a 4 hp gain from heat-wrapping the pipes (all the way to the cans)..... Granted, this is on a race-tuned bike (making in excess of 150 bhp), but I can`t see it not being beneficial on my Stage 1 tuned VTR......
As well as keeping heat away from radiators (front header pipe) Shock (rear header pipe and collector)
Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
As well as keeping heat away from radiators (front header pipe) Shock (rear header pipe and collector)
and the sump.....
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

This is what I got.

High Performance Ceramic Header Coatings - Nitroplate
Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thedeatons
Thanks..
I'll call um (as they suggest) and talk to the tech folks about the thermal barrier properties of all 4 coatings they market.

My primary want for coating the header on the SH is finding the best thermal barrier coating.
Secondly; Fit and finish..

I've not personally had bad coating issues from Jet Hot, nor seen it in person.. Yes you can find reports of it on the internet... But heck you can find reports of people claiming to be God on the internet as well....

And Jet Hot and HPC have many more color finish options than Nitroplate .. so there is that to consider..

Still, always up for something new and better
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Yep, I hear ya... I just had a great over the phone experience with the owner, and the secretary, and there is a lot to be said for customer service.

The return packaging was amazing as well.

James