General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

stock bulb

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:32 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
stock bulb

is it something i can grab at pep boys/ auto zone/ napa, etcc?

i evetually want to upgrade to something better but my bulb is on its last leg and id rather not pay for shipping if i dont have to. thanks.

P.S. i searched around but couldnt find anything besides talk of uprgraded LED's and HID conversions.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Any H4 bulb will do.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
H4 or 9003 Common item at any Auto parts store.

Best Ive found at the Auto parts store is the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra
About $29 or less on sale
Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA Halogen Headlight 9003 SU: Buy best Daytime Running Lamp at Advance Auto Parts
Old 01-16-2014, 07:41 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
H4 or 9003 Common item at any Auto parts store.

Best Ive found at the Auto parts store is the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra
About $29 or less on sale
Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA Halogen Headlight 9003 SU: Buy best Daytime Running Lamp at Advance Auto Parts
this is the bulb i use at the moment,and is very good at doing its job.
will help some if you adjust the headlight.there is screws behind the head light that will allow you to pitch it up and down,left and right.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I agree that the sylvania is very good. Get a pair, it stinks to have no spare.. And dont touch it with fingers (oil) or it will die a quick death. Wear nitrile gloves.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:51 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I agree that the sylvania is very good. Get a pair, it stinks to have no spare.. And dont touch it with fingers (oil) or it will die a quick death. Wear nitrile gloves.

I agree,if at all,just dont touch the bulb at all and you will be good.
I didnt like spending the money,but after a year and half,i can see thru the turns at night,just watch out for wild life"at night" lol they dont care what light you have
every and any animal has those eyes like deer in head lights look
Old 01-17-2014, 01:33 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
The old saying opinions are like a**holes...
I have personally popped 2 or 3 Silverstars in a short amount of time which makes me recommend against getting them (I am meticulous in not touching the bulb), YMMV. My Piaa's have lasted almost 10 years in my car, I just had a Phillips X-treme Vision go out in my truck after about 5, the Hella that I'm using on the Hawk as lasted 2 or 3 seasons now. Like I said, just my .02
Old 01-17-2014, 05:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
I have personally popped 2 or 3 Silverstars in a short amount of time which makes me recommend against getting them (I am meticulous in not touching the bulb), YMMV. My Piaa's have lasted almost 10 years in my car, I just had a Phillips X-treme Vision go out in my truck after about 5, the Hella that I'm using on the Hawk as lasted 2 or 3 seasons now. Like I said, just my .02
Actually I agree.. But PIAA and Hella are not what i see in Auto parts stores around here... And He said
Originally Posted by jscobey
is it something i can grab at pep boys/ auto zone/ napa, etcc?
But Ya, longevity is not great with the Silverstar Ultra.. That is what made me start looking at non Halogen options again.

I refuse to do the HID bulb in a standard reflector..(lots of light, but scattered everywhere)

And was not ready to spend $165 on the DIY HID projector kit..

I Run PIAA bulbs in both my Mustang GT and GT500.. Headlight and driving light for GT.. Headlight in Gt500 uses PIAA bulbs and PIAA driving lights replaced the OEM ones. So I know what they will do and like um..

jscobey if you can find Hella or PIAA bulbs locally, go with those over the Silverstar Ultra
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

Amazingly, the same "I don't care" attitude of the bambis, also applies to city pedestrians.

Even when it snows here you can see hit peds all over since of course cars cant stop.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:20 AM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
i picked up a philips 9003. its a 67/60W. is that to much for the stock wiring?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jscobey
i picked up a philips 9003. its a 67/60W. is that to much for the stock wiring?
Likely no issue at all.. but keep in mind every bike and what it has seen for use, maintenance, riding conditions is different.

Using a digital Volt Ohm meter, get a key on, motor running voltage reading on your headlight socket, high and low beam.. Should be very close to same conditions at the battery. If not you would benefit from a relay set up.
Check Ohm between the ground connector in the headlight socket and the neg battery post.. No resistance is the goal (not likely) but high resistance is bad

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-17-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, no matter what a relay setup will drasticly brighten the light output. Eastern beaver makes great kits Wiring Kits
Old 01-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Yeah, no matter what a relay setup will drasticly brighten the light output. Eastern beaver makes great kits Wiring Kits
Have you measured voltage Key on, motor running on your SH at the head light socket? If so, what was the voltage difference ?

It's common to find a voltage drop at the headlight socket, has been on every bike I have owned, and all my cars, trucks.. BUT this SH I have now.. had full battery voltage at the socket.. .. Strange I know, but I have to wounder what other SH are like?
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
I have personally popped 2 or 3 Silverstars in a short amount of time which makes me recommend against getting them (I am meticulous in not touching the bulb),
If you read the back of the package of the silverstars they actually tell you (in fine print of course) that their bulbs are not meant to last as long as others and that they sacrifice bulb life for brightness.

I read it as we are charging you more for an inferior product but we are coming up with a good story to make you think your getting something better
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

But voltage reading is not the whole story. Its wire resistance under load (or something like that)

Same reason my cheap crappy jumper cables failed to jump start my buddies truck but my good thick ones turned it right over.

Also the same reason battery voltage is a half truth. Thats why load testers put it under load of a heating element.

The huge, low resistance lines of the relay system means much brighter light from the same bulb. I noticed a substantial difference and I am a real sceptic.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:04 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

But voltage reading is not the whole story. Its wire resistance under load (or something like that)

Same reason my cheap crappy jumper cables failed to jump start my buddies truck but my good thick ones turned it right over.

Also the same reason battery voltage is a half truth. Thats why load testers put it under load of a heating element.

The huge, low resistance lines of the relay system means much brighter light from the same bulb. I noticed a substantial difference and I am a real sceptic.
Bottom line, if you have full battery voltage at the socket, key on motor running.. and very low resistance in the ground wire at the socket to battery ground.. your good and will gain nothing from increasing from working perfectly to working perfect plus more

At 12-14.8vdc .. and only 60 watts being drawn.. unless something is wrong with the wiring (which will show up in the other two tests) ,, pulling 60 watts is not going to cause significant increase in resistance.

But hey, Im just some guy on the internet,,,,, And BTW, Im not saying yours, his, most SH will not benefit from a headlight relay system, all but one of my bikes, cars, trucks did in the last few dozen years... Im just saying,, Check before you spend time and money... it's easy, and should be done before and after the install anyway...

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-18-2014 at 06:17 AM.