General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

PVM wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
PVM wheels

Just a quick update regarding the PVM (cast magnesium) wheels I had picked up last fall on eBay. While getting them stripped to have them powder coated (at low temp of 300 deg. as it`s magnesium and not aluminum), the shop moticed the front was a bit dinged up. I just it straightened and and all is back in order to get them finished up (am getting them done in fire-engine red, he he). I found some info about the wheel weights (http://www.rc51.org/wheel.htm, my wheels are the PVM`s pictured together, gold coloured ones). Although the weight of the VTR wheels are not listed, they should be close to the RC`s. It should be looking forward to about 5 lbs off the rear and 1.5 of the front. Hopefully it will make a noticeable difference in acceleration (although likely less so in handling, especially due to the more minor weight diff. in the front. The only other issue will be to deal with teh issue of spacers and such to make them fit. That`s all for now, will keep you posted.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Mikstr,

Remember that it's not so much the amount of weight that you lose on the front wheel, but where you lose that weight that counts. I can assure you that the difference in handling will be noticed.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:02 AM
MotoGP

In the fateful words of Ed McMahon "you are correct sir". I may look into the possibility of having the front rotors re-worked a bit (more holes) to reduce weight further yet. While the rear rim is a 6", I will be mounting a 180/55 on it as I have a 190/50 on the stock rim at the moment and don't much care for the slowed down handling it gives the bike (plus the 180 will be lighter too). I must confess I am looking forward to taking it out for a ride with the new goodies.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
What modifications are necessary to get RC51 wheels to work with the VTR? There is a set of mag PVM wheels for the RC on ebay that ends in 3 days and the buy it now is a mere 1500.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Your biggest problem would be making the front wheel work. It's a can of worms, becasue of brake rotor configurations. the VTR and RC51 front wheels are highly incompatible. RC51 forks make it a slam-dunk. Like I said, can of worms.

The rear wheels should be similar, but the RC51 rim is 6 inches wide, the VTR rim is 5.5. I believe you would need different spacers. Chain line is probably close. Not sure about brake rotor position.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
SO the PVM wheels for the VTR1000 just slide right on/in?
Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
MotoGP

Not sure yet but based on what I have read about these very wheels being used on other models I would expect them to fit using the stock spacers and all. I'll know soon (am waiting for my radial MC and Helibars to come in then everything gets installed). I'll report back then.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:43 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Bocker
What modifications are necessary to get RC51 wheels to work with the VTR? There is a set of mag PVM wheels for the RC on ebay that ends in 3 days and the buy it now is a mere 1500.
rc51 rear wheel is just to wide to work with shawk swingarm.
check out my build thread to find how to make rc wheels to fit .
Old 10-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Squid

gazza is on a distinguished road
i can get a set of mavric pvm wheels secondhand for a blackbird for R5000 (abt $500). can anyone tell me if they will fit my hawk? searched on here and found one thread stating that both blackbird wheels are interchangable with the hawk, but i'm not sure if that's true. please can someone help this mod addicted noob????