General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

PVM wheels arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
PVM wheels arrived!

I finally received the cast magnesium six-spoke PVM racing wheels I picked up on eBay yesterday. I will be getting new bearings (c3 grade with low-friction seals) prior to installing them. My only issue now is that the previous owner had painted them (front is yellow, rear is silver) so now I have to see how I go about stripping that paint off, or re-painting them. I am quite looking forward to mounting them on the bike
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Wanna See Them!!!!

As for the paint... you might wanna check around to find out about stripping them since they are magnesium... and youd hate to damage them...
You can try/search Eastwood forums... I'm on there alot checking powder coating/painting/polishing info... you can probably find what you'll need there in the powder coat section... since they have to strip stuff to PC anyway...

J.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Mikstr, if you have to replace the bearings, remove them and send them out to be powder coated. The finish is far better then painting and they will have to sand blast the old paint to have a surface to coat. They will realy look good.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:14 AM
MotoGP

thanks guys

My only concern (after some preliminary research) relates to stripping the old paint (using chemical strippers anyhow) and the heat involved in powder coating. Magnesium is a lot more reactive and has a significantly lower melting point than aluminium and I would have to mess things up. I have a call out to a local powder coating shop in regards to this.....

I can tell you that the front rim is really light! Should make for some light steering and side to side transitions
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 AM
SuperSport

I checked a few sights as well... some say powdercoating the mag rim will be just fine as long as you dont grind or use a powersander to clean the wheel up... I guess the mag dust is very flamable!!!

I'd say use your best judgement.... I've read countless threads/articles that powder coating ANY aluminum rim should be avoided... yet there are thousands of rims coated out there and I havent' heard one tale of a failure do to coating methods/heat....

What color you gonna go with????

J.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
MotoGP

I too have come across conflicting info on the topic. While failure of a valve cover or something of the sort is unfortunate, it won't put your life in peril as will an exploding rim so I may opt for painting.

I am still toying with the wheel colour though. Black would be a safe bet but the dark blue (as on the bike) may be an option, as would a silver (akin to the colour of aluminium). Suggestions are welcome

cheers
Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Clear coated natural finish. mmmmm......
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeah

+1 with Superbling. Sometimes true bling requires one to be subtle.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 AM
SuperSport

If you don't go "Natural"... I'd look at something in the gunmetal, charcoal grey range.... this way there's a bit of a color difference between the rim and tire...

If you do go the "stripping route".... I've taken the paint of the stock rims real easily with aluminum aircraft stripper... you can buy it in any autostore... or I've used the Eastwood paint/PC dissolver... expensive and you might have to "dip" the rims in... but worked great as well.

J.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

The rims' "natural" colour was gold, not sure how that was applied though. I would have no problems with bringing them back to that if that's possible, or a sober silver would also do the trick. My fear with using chemical stippers is that magnesium is quite reactive; it would be a real shame to have the rims dissolve in the process of cleaning them
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Squid

JesseW.
media blast them with something soft like walnut shells, then degrease them and polish
Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
MotoGP

thanks
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM
MotoGP

I called around to various places around Montreal and found a place that offered to strip them and powdercoat them for me. The shop owner said they work with some high-tech castings fairly frequently (including Mg) and he could do it for me. He stressed taking a very patient and cautious approach and seemd to know his stuff so I brought my sheels to him. I am having them done in a silver/grey finish btw. Will keep you guys posted.

cheers
Old 08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Cheers, Micky! I think this is an excellent choice. Interesting color combo and will be interested to see it on the bike. I'm about to send out a set to be done - 99 rr rear and a stock (kinda) front. I've got the new bearings on the shelf but I may hold the rotors on the stockers and go to waves on the new set. I like the color combo of wet-look black for the spokes and silver edges - cleared over everything. I thought about flat but the stockers are matte and I think that look is really ho-hum. Some of the local PC guys have some really good looking stuff on their websites. I think you did the right thing by meeting with the shop owner. That way you know exactly what is going to happen to your wheels and who to hold responsible.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

Thanks I am really looking forward to getting them back, trust me! Will post pics ASAP.

On the issue of bearings, I just picked up some brand new ones for the PVM's as well. Based on information I had received some years ago from a snowmobile grass drag racer, I only use C3 grade bearings now, as well as low-friction seals (same as the ones I am running on my current wheels, have had them in there for three years now and they spin very nicely). They cost a bit more but extra friction serves no positive purpose at all and the small gains (ie. reduced friction) help every facet of the bike's performance. Take it for what it's worth.