General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Pilot powers rock!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Pilot powers rock!

Just in case you didn't know. My front Battlax was due for a replacement, and I decided to go with a pilot power because I have a tendency to get aggresive on the street. All I can say is......wow!!! You can hardly tell paintedlines from the road! My battlax's would cause the bike to slip so to speak every time my tires would hit a yellow/white line. It's hard to explain, it just made the whole front end seem rock solid. I cannot WAIT for my rear battlax to wear out, so I can get a power on the rear! With the pilot up front, I can now feel the back tire wanting to break traction. I had an awesome run today, just awesome. Did about 300 miles total.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Don't get overconfident. That rear Bridgestone could come around on you any time. I've never been a fan of them, btw. Suggestion: Get a new Pilot rear, get your camera, do a big smoky burnout, and post pics on the forum.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
+1

Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Suggestion #2: whatever tire you run it's best to stay off the center & fog line

tim
Old 08-27-2007, 08:44 AM
oh no not another new guy
Squid

tbone is on a distinguished road
The shop I frequent kindly refer to the battelax tires as battelbricks

I hated mine on my old CBR, when I swapped over to dunlops, it was a night ans day difference.

tom
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps the prejudice against Bridgestones stems from the past when they weren't as good as some other tires performance wise. The modern Bridgestones are just fine. The last set of Bridgestones I ran were as good as anything I've ever used, with the exception of the Pilot Powers that are on the hawk now.
Casey Stoner likes 'em.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 AM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
I just bought some pilot powers about 2 weeks ago, but i'm waiting to put them on. It's good to hear that they are that good. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Ha,,,he said Stoner...
Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I recently put a battelax on as a rear... I dont like it... good thing I got a deal on it.. was running PPs Front and rear.. now just front. I was cornering the other day, hit a small set of cuts in the road.. 2-3 maybe.. I felt it slide a little.. my PPs never did that.. (same spot, speed, temp, distance ran)... and the BB tends to build a funny compound when it heats up... mixture of road debris and tire pieces... and when you scrape it off cold, it's like tar... center of the tread.. I'm going back to my PPs...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i ran a set of OEM 014's this past winter / spring. they sucked. i even did a trackday on them

i never had them brake loose but there is just ZERO feedback, so i never pushed them.

it was heaven to get the corsa dragons back on her !

tim
Old 08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280
Perhaps the prejudice against Bridgestones stems from the past when they weren't as good as some other tires performance wise. The modern Bridgestones are just fine. The last set of Bridgestones I ran were as good as anything I've ever used, with the exception of the Pilot Powers that are on the hawk now.
Casey Stoner likes 'em.
I've ran 3 battlax's on my hawk so far (Just this year). One front, and two rears. Unless the past counts includes March of '07 and on...they still can't hold a candle to pilot powers. The difference is just incredible. I can take each turn at least 5 mph faster than I previously could, and that's still running a battlax on the rear!

I'm just wondering if the Pierelli coursa III's are good enough better than the powers to justfiy the extra cost? And the wear issue. A friend of mine has Corsa III's on his 1098, and he's done a few track days with them. Just not sure if they can match the mileage of the PP's. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
One of the guy's I work with has a CBR1000RR with the Corsa III's and used to swear by them until he rode the SH with the PP's. He went this weekend and bought PP's. Got to see the Pirelli get smoked real good before hand too.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
I've ran 3 battlax's on my hawk so far (Just this year). One front, and two rears. Unless the past counts includes March of '07 and on...they still can't hold a candle to pilot powers. The difference is just incredible. I can take each turn at least 5 mph faster than I previously could, and that's still running a battlax on the rear!

I'm just wondering if the Pierelli coursa III's are good enough better than the powers to justfiy the extra cost? And the wear issue. A friend of mine has Corsa III's on his 1098, and he's done a few track days with them. Just not sure if they can match the mileage of the PP's. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Which Battlax? Bridgestone makes about half a dozen or more tires they call Battlax.
I just don't like sweeping generalizations about tires or tire brands, that's all. In my experience, they're not valid; These days all the manufacturers make tires that are more than adequate for street riding. They all have somewhat different feel, wear and grip characteristics, and Tire M may give you more confidence than Tire B, but blanket statements like "Bridgestones suck" aren't valid.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by trinc
i ran a set of OEM 014's this past winter / spring. they sucked. i even did a trackday on them

i never had them brake loose but there is just ZERO feedback, so i never pushed them.

it was heaven to get the corsa dragons back on her !

tim
At least you never had to deal with the fine 204 they had in the first few years..... all I can say about them is
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Damn, and all I said was that I wasn't a fan of them.....

What did I start?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawk9807
One of the guy's I work with has a CBR1000RR with the Corsa III's and used to swear by them until he rode the SH with the PP's. He went this weekend and bought PP's. Got to see the Pirelli get smoked real good before hand too.
Are you kidding me!? I know expert CCS and WERA racers that use the corsa III and there's no way the PP can hold a candle to them.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
i love my corsa III's that i just put on this season. they totally changed the bike and for the better. the cofidence they give me when entering a corner... trailing the brakes in hard... damn they are just great. made the bike steer faster too compaired to my old metzler m1.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280
Which Battlax? Bridgestone makes about half a dozen or more tires they call Battlax.
I just don't like sweeping generalizations about tires or tire brands, that's all. In my experience, they're not valid; These days all the manufacturers make tires that are more than adequate for street riding. They all have somewhat different feel, wear and grip characteristics, and Tire M may give you more confidence than Tire B, but blanket statements like "Bridgestones suck" aren't valid.

Battlax BT-021's
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

No wonder, you went from a sport touring tire to a true sport tire, apples and oranges, a more fair comparison would be pilot road tires to the 021.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Are you kidding me!? I know expert CCS and WERA racers that use the corsa III and there's no way the PP can hold a candle to them.
I didn't agree with him either, after riding his bike with the Corsa III's I am considering them for the next set. Tried to talk him out of it, but he was dead set on the PP's. I also have good friends that run in WERA and they told him he was an idiot. I guess to each his own though.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

That's the thing about stuff like tires and oil......ask 5 people get 7 opinions.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
The Corsa's MAYBE better than the Pilots, but you need to ask yourself, for the riding you do, how much more performance do I need? That said, I'm a Power fiend and would only consider the Pirelli's if they were on sale for the same price.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

IMHO After trying the CorsaIII's there was definitely more feedback from them than the PP's. I have a tendency to get agressive on the backroads from time to time, but for the most part more sensible riding. i have no complaint on the PP's, but was amazed at the difference in feel with the CorsaIII's. Probably stick with the PP's for a while simply cause I am used to them and the economics as well.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by hawkbill
The Corsa's MAYBE better than the Pilots, but you need to ask yourself, for the riding you do, how much more performance do I need? That said, I'm a Power fiend and would only consider the Pirelli's if they were on sale for the same price.
Don't get me wrong a PP is a great tire for street and even intermediate level track day but if you're pushing it REALLY hard I'd rather use the Corsa III.

As long as we're talking tires I actually used the Conti Hypersport tires at my last track weekend and was very impressed with them. Great feedback no sliding and they wore really well. Usually I'll kill a set of tires in 2 days at the track but it looks like I'll be able to get 2 more out of them. I tried them out because I read about them when they used them in the Master Bike shoot out glad I did.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I love my PP, though I can't seem to get the air pressure set right, one time they feel great, then another time they feel slippery, not really sure, temps changed back and forth on me so much...ah, whatever... and I am sure the oil I am running in the bike plays a role in how the tires feel...right? LOL
Old 08-28-2007, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

Of course and don't forget to change you're blinker fluids too!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Of course and don't forget to change you're blinker fluids too!
I remembered that, I just keep for getting the power grip fluid...it's so annoying...