General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Pilot Pwr 2CT or Pilot Road 2CT

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Pilot Pwr 2CT or Pilot Road 2CT

I won an e-bay auction for a new Pilot Road 2CT for $140. I recieved a tire yesterday but it was the Pilot Power 2CT. I was wanting the road because of the higher mileage. I am a little confused on the tread compounds though.

Does the Pwr 2CT have the normal Pwr center tread and softer sides or harder compound in the center and normal sides?

I WANT the same compound as a normal Pwr on the sides with the compound of a normal Road in the center for advanced mileage but great cornering grip.

Should I insist on getting the Pilot Road 2CT? Does that sound like what I am searching for or should I just keep the Pilot Pwr 2CT and be happy with it?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 AM
Squid

hymey is on a distinguished road
Power is a soft compound. You wont get half the life of the road. But if its cheap put them on see how they go
Old 10-26-2007, 05:33 AM
MotoGP

i forgot to mention but it is a rear tire that I am talking about.

I have normal Pilot Powers on it now and like them but I would love more mileage. I commute with my bike so the center is worn out completley and the sides about 1/2 worn out.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
You didn't get what was advertised - you should contact the seller and either demand your money back, get the proper tire, or negotiate a discount/credit for getting the wrong tire. He'll probably want to negotiate so he doesn't have to pay for shipping, relisting, etc. If he doesn't play ball, then leave negative feedback. BTW, I run the Diablo Strada in the rear and regular Diablo up front....price is $126 (rear) on

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

and wear well for my highway runs to the mountains here in NY.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The compounds in Pilot Power 2CT is in no way equal (side or center) to the compound in Pilot Power... Different tires, different compounds... Same goes for Road and Road2...

I WANT the same compound as a normal Pwr on the sides with the compound of a normal Road in the center for advanced mileage but great cornering grip.
The closest match would be Road2... Great allround tire...

I have normal Pilot Powers on it now and like them but I would love more mileage. I commute with my bike so the center is worn out completley and the sides about 1/2 worn out.
Well I'm running commutes now on PP 2CT's and I'm happy with the milage... about the same as normal PP's...

I'm probably biased thoo, last summer I ran my commute on Pilot Power Race Medium (also dual compound) and that ate up the tires...

It was great fun in the twisties thoo... Insane amounts of grip...
Old 10-26-2007, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

To clarify... Notice that the Power is named 2CT, the Road is just named Road2 from Michelin to avoid confusion...

The center compound of the 2CT is harder than PP, side is softer... this means that the side wears faster, giving shorter live than the PP, in practice thoo it comes out about the same, because you will be unable to use the PP's last milage because at his point you have a severe flatspot...
Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blokeontheend
You didn't get what was advertised - you should contact the seller and either demand your money back, get the proper tire, or negotiate a discount/credit for getting the wrong tire. He'll probably want to negotiate so he doesn't have to pay for shipping, relisting, etc. If he doesn't play ball, then leave negative feedback. BTW, I run the Diablo Strada in the rear and regular Diablo up front....price is $126 (rear) on

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

and wear well for my highway runs to the mountains here in NY.
I contacted the seller this AM and he stated that it was his screw up and he would exchange tires no problem. He did not mention shipping costs but he was extremely apoligetic so I feel it will not be a big deal to him to cover them.

I am just trying to figure out if I should try to keep this one or trade.

My next set of tires I will probably switch to something else but my front Pilot Power is not worn hardly any and I did not want to run mismatched sets.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
The closest match would be Road2... Great allround tire...
That is what I thought. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:48 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
You may also want to check if the tire you received was one that had been recalled - see today's New Posts for the thread Nath981 started in June or do a search on Michelin Recall.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by blokeontheend
You may also want to check if the tire you received was one that had been recalled - see today's New Posts for the thread Nath981 started in June or do a search on Michelin Recall.
Thanks for the heads up but everything that I can find talks about the Front tires being recalled. I got a rear.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't worry about mismatched tires. Lots of guys run a sport tire on the front & a touring tire on the rear. I've mixed brands quite a bit with no problems, too.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
Don't worry about mismatched tires. Lots of guys run a sport tire on the front & a touring tire on the rear. I've mixed brands quite a bit with no problems, too.
I knew somebody would tell me that. LOL..
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM
MotoGP

He contacted me back and Fed-ex is going to pick the tire up from my front porch Monday AM for free. Can't beat that for service: well unless of course, they had sent the correct tire in the first place.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I ran a pilot power 2ct and loved the tire and got 4k miles on it so I was pretty happy with it. then i put the cycle gear deal (pirelli diablos) and i can't wait to wear that tier out. It's hard and has no grip at all.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:28 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I agree Josh, the Diablo is a harder tire than is required by the Superhawk but works great on my VFR. PP is the road right now for me. These things are just stupid sticky.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 05xman
I ran a pilot power 2ct and loved the tire and got 4k miles on it so I was pretty happy with it. then i put the cycle gear deal (pirelli diablos) and i can't wait to wear that tier out. It's hard and has no grip at all.
I currently run standard Pilot Powers on my rear and after 2000 miles, I'm already down to the wear tabs and I just finished paying the sucker off! How did you get 4k miles on 2ct?

Like to hear more about the Road 2 vs the Pilot Sport if anybody has first hand experience with either. The Pilot Sport was designed for bikes like the Hayabusa and Michelin talks up it's performance and higher mileage. I passed on the Pilot sport several months ago as it was $75 more than the Pilot Power; however I may just spend the extra dough now.

Last edited by hawkbill; 10-28-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawkbill
I currently run standard Pilot Powers on my rear and after 2000 miles, I'm already down to the wear tabs and I just finished paying the sucker off! How did you get 4k miles on 2ct?

Like to hear more about the Road 2 vs the Pilot Sport if anybody has first hand experience with either. The Pilot Sport was designed for bikes like the Hayabusa and Michelin talks up it's performance and higher mileage. I passed on the Pilot sport several months ago as it was $75 more than the Pilot Power; however I may just spend the extra dough now.
Trust me it had cords coming thru.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:20 AM
MotoGP

I'd opt for the Road2 instead of the Pilot Sport... I haven't had that much experience with the Road2 myself yet... tried it on a couple of mates bike's (one of wich is a VTR) and it's very similar to the Road wich I have tried, just more cornering grip (Road vs Road2 is kinda like PP's vs 2CT's)

On the other hand, I have tried the Sport... and in my opinion it's just a harder, less grippy Pilot Power, less sticky, less grip, slower transition into corners (the PP's are known for "falling into" corners... I like it, some don't...)

And as for wet grip... No-oh... no thank you... It dind't feel at all confident... I'd take the 2CT's any day... and on a wet race track, me on 2CT's and my mate with Road2 on his VTR... He was running circles around me...

So basicly Road2 is a good choice for road use... Doh...

My main gripe with the Sport is that it's "middle of the road", well it's supposed to... but it's to much...

It's not grippy enough for track at all... barely enough for playing on a twisty road at legal (?) speeds... And it hasn't got the mileage to be a touring tire... So it end's up being to much of a compromise doing nothing good anough... The PP's is grippy, but gets OK mileage, the 2CT's are fun and gets decent mileage, the Road (old) are a great touring tire but crap in the corners... The Road2 is en equaly good tourer, but good enough in the corners to be fun...

Last edited by Tweety; 10-30-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Great feed back Tweey, thanks for the feedback!