General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hi, considering a VTR

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:53 AM
Squid

dwardu is on a distinguished road
Hi, considering a VTR

Hi everyone, I am currently thinking about purchasing a 2000 VTR1000F Firestorm and was wondering if I could get some tips.

Last Saturday I checked out the bike and went for a very short ride. I am about 1.75 meters tall, and weigh about 110KG.

The first thing I noted on the VFR is the lower fork bridge which has some corrosion, and just beneath it, both forks had some corrosion too. The bike doesn't start unless the throttle is opened a bit (in fact I didn't manage to start it right away) and the owner told me it is normal; wanted to check if this is true or the carbs need some tuning. The riding position is not what I am used to; legs were slightly crammed on the pegs but my mates told me that just needs getting used to. The front end felt a bit soft too. Bike has less than 20K kms and seems to be in a good shape. I love v-twins and Hondas; the VTR would be ideal to me but I am concerned about the riding position. If there are any tips on what I should look out for when checking the bike, please let me know.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Should start on choke from cold without any throttle. From warm again no throttle.

Soft Front end is normal for a stocj bike. Check to see if Regulator/Rectifier is early unfinned version, if so replace with later upgraded finned version or cobble together a Yamaha one.

Check Cam Chain tensioners replace with APE manual ones as OEM have a bad habit of imploding causing head damage.

Rear shock linkage can dry out - make sure its greased or it can seize

Starter motor - check under the rubber hood where the power lead goes in for corrosion
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
dwardu: welcome to the circus.

Wicky: thanks for the info on the shock linkage and the starter leads. Tweety never told me about 'em...
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nekkid
dwardu: welcome to the circus.

Wicky: thanks for the info on the shock linkage and the starter leads. Tweety never told me about 'em...
The shock link is old news... Plenty of old threads on the forum about that... But since I have a non-stock one I really don't care...

And corroded starter leads kind of fall under the general instruction to use an ohm meter on anything on the bike that looks like a wire... If you choose to ignore selective wires, that's not my problem...

BTW, I was laughing my *** of at your comment, so don't worry, I interpreted it as a joke...