Engine Hanger Bolt Torque

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Engine Hanger Bolt Torque

Getting ready to install my T-Rex frame sliders and am confused about the proper torque settings for the left and right center hanger bolts.

According to my manual, it appears that the torque setting for these bolts is 29 ft/lbs, but a search on this forum comes up with values ranging from 47 to 64 ft/lbs, supposebly from the manual...can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, the manual describes an involved procedure for tightening/torquing the engine hanger bolts/nuts...does removing and replacing the center hanger bolts require that this procedure be redone?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I don't have any experience with T-Rex frame sliders but I have installed LSL frame sliders. When I removed the right centre hanger bolt there was a fair bit of resistance. The bolt came out but took with it a bit of aluminum. I made sure to put anti-seize on the replacement bolt that came with the LSL kit. I torqued it to 29 ft-lbs per the shop manual. Same thing with the left centre hanger bolt. I would think that as long as the left centre adjusting bolt and lock nut were undisturbed, there's no need to go through the whole tightening sequence.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:29 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by comedo
I don't have any experience with T-Rex frame sliders but I have installed LSL frame sliders. When I removed the right centre hanger bolt there was a fair bit of resistance. The bolt came out but took with it a bit of aluminum. I made sure to put anti-seize on the replacement bolt that came with the LSL kit. I torqued it to 29 ft-lbs per the shop manual. Same thing with the left centre hanger bolt. I would think that as long as the left centre adjusting bolt and lock nut were undisturbed, there's no need to go through the whole tightening sequence.
okay, thanks...
Old 02-24-2008, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Ya' know if there ever was a perfect place for the superhawk, it's got to Oahu.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superbling
Ya' know if there ever was a perfect place for the superhawk, it's got to Oahu.
you got it!!...but ya gotta ride early on the weekend, otherwise you're stuck in traffic...
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Getting ready to install my T-Rex frame sliders and am confused about the proper torque settings for the left and right center hanger bolts.

According to my manual, it appears that the torque setting for these bolts is 29 ft/lbs, but a search on this forum comes up with values ranging from 47 to 64 ft/lbs, supposebly from the manual...can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, the manual describes an involved procedure for tightening/torquing the engine hanger bolts/nuts...does removing and replacing the center hanger bolts require that this procedure be redone?

*********DEAD THREAD REVIVAL WARNING*********

OK it's ancient history but I am about to follow in this guy's footsteps and have the same uncertainty. Is there any special precaution I should take before touching any engine hanger bolts?

I don't want to accidentally nuts up the frame/engine mounting tension if it will involve any requirement for special tools or procedures.

Last edited by CrankenFine; 02-10-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
IMHO the front and rear mounts are the ones to be careful with.

Now I don't run sliders and haven't done it, but you should be able to loosen and re-torque the center bolts with no real issues. Well as long as you don't ride the bike with them loose.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thank you!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 AM
frequent flier
Squid

redbird is on a distinguished road
I've installed T Rex sliders on two Hawks. On both occasions I used the factory specified 29 lb-ft torque spec, along with blue Loctite. No problems with retention or alignment. Beware: the instruction sheet that comes with these sliders provides a vague, non-specific reference to some generic torque specs, but they are not in agreement with the Honda manual torque specs.