General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Harley Sport Bike For the Future!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:18 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
New Harley Sport Bike For the Future!

The XR1200X is the new AMAZING sport machine from Harley Davidson. Pumping out an earth shaking 75 horspower at the wheel! And keep in mind this bike has been lightend by the top engineers at Harley to weigh only 575 pounds! You wanted the replacement for Buell? You got it! Blazing through the 1/4 mile in the neigborhood of 13 seconds it will destroy any other sportbike on the road(under 250cc). And in a top speed run you will hit 125 mph on this bike. Beating a Ford Focus with a few mph to spare. Can you handle the new Harley XR1200X?
Attached Thumbnails New Harley Sport Bike For the Future!-harley-sport-bike.jpg  
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
lol nice write up. I rode an xr1200 at Americade in NY, goes pretty good I even had the front wheel off the ground for a second or two ;0
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang, you must work in advertising; I'm sold!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
LOL!

Good lord, how did they add so much weight to the bike? I think the 883 is like 490lbs. I tell you, they do things differently at HD.

Tell you what, though: I had an older M2 (Cyclone) for a bit and it was actually a pretty versatile machine. The engine performance was the least of my worries. Had the thing stayed together, I probably would have kept it, even though it literally burned the hair off my right leg. It was one of the most fun bikes I’ve ever rode.

CR
Old 07-02-2010, 06:33 AM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
????? 575 pounds ????? LMAO. Is that wet or dry?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Does it really matter, wet or dry?

Rex
Old 07-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Superstock

Please keep in mind that weight does not include all the cool chrome accessories you can buy from the Screaming Eagle Catalog! These parts will increase downhill acceleration!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
lol nice write up. I rode an xr1200 at Americade in NY, goes pretty good I even had the front wheel off the ground for a second or two ;0
Funny, I was pulling out of a parking lot at Americade and thought for a second that I saw a White Superhawk go by. Then I thought, " Nah can't be, white is pretty rare".
Old 07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
But its a great bike to ride with a lady friend. All that vibration has to be good for something.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
Name:  33w49dz.gif
Views: 139
Size:  2.76 MB
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I'm probably being nastalgic, but I like what HD has done. it won't be the fastest, for sure, but I'm glad they did something besides cruisers for a change. The old XR750s were the one thing they did right. I'd kinda like getting involved with the XR1200 racing that AMA is starting up.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Superstock

I think it is a good looking bike but it is still an under engineered attempt at getting younger buyers without offering any real performance. Harley always does as little as possible. They gave it a decent fork but didn't put any effort into weight reduction. 75-80hp would be satisfactory if the bike weighed 100 pounds less. also all that weight makes the suspension upgrades redundant.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:27 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
The old XR750s were the one thing they did right. I'd kinda like getting involved with the XR1200 racing that AMA is starting up.
I have to admit, Flat Track is pretty exciting. Kind of like Speedway on steroids.

As for the AMA XR1200 roadracing series...I think it's planned mostly to get guys in black T-shirts that say "Harley Davidson" on the back out to the races. That plus beer sales at the concession stands would quadruple.

Maybe they could get Jay Springsteen out of retirement. That would be a good thing.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

By the way, I've seen a couple XR1200's out at Cooks Corner, and they look quite large up close. That stock exhaust looks like it weighs about 100 pounds. Perhaps a full Supertrapp system would lighten it up and improve looks.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I think it looks pretty good, especially with that big ol' motor in plain view...that said, 75 hp pushin' 600 lbs wet ain't cuttin' it for me...
Old 07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
One of the best looking bikes the motor company has ever built. They do look really good in person. The back seat is useless though. I wouldn't own one, but I do like it.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I completely understand your point, and without getting into a whole conversation about how and why Harley management does what they do, I've seen Mort's in person and he's already done some mods like custom supertrapp exhaust and ohlins shocks and the bike is pretty badass. While it may not be as fast as a Hayabusa it's just as cool as one & it's certainly a step in the right direction for Harley. He just bought an '05 superhawk as well, and hopefully he chimes in here.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
XR1200 Harley

I have had the XR1200 for over a year now. It has lost about 50 lbs due to exhaust change, etc. and tuned properly with the right exhaust is good for 90 hp @ 7,000rpm and 85 lbs torque(@ 4000 rpm). It essentially comes with a Buell top end. I have the upgraded Showa BPF fork and Ohlins rear shocks and it handles great. It is no Superhawk though- I just got my 2005 Superhawk a month ago (had a yellow one in 2000) and I love it. The XR is a great handling comfortable "sit up" bike and sounds great, but I sure enjoy the Superhawk when I want to go faster, especially around corners!!!!! I am enjoying working through my mods on the Superhawk and appreciate the help I have received from several members on the forum-It was entertaining to get a waive from Captaincaos one day and then meet him here on the forum when I joined soon after getting my hawk-Mort
Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
MotoGP

I haven't seen an XR1200 with Supertrapp exhaust yet, but I'm sure it looks much better than that stock unit. That even outdoes the stock VTR exhaust for looking heavy. I wanted to put a Supertrapp on my VTR when I got it 5 years ago, but found out they are mostly catering to Harleys now.

In '86, when I'd put 600 miles on my new CB700SC Nighthawk, I put a full stainless Supertrapp 4 into 1 on it. I didn't weigh it , but I'm sure I saved close to 30 pounds.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM
SuperSport

I wonder who exactly the bike does appeal to... I mean, is this HD's aim at the Ducati Classics, Guzzi V7 and Bonnie Thruxton? In some way it's a lot more bike than a lot of these machines -- it certainly tries harder than the Triumph -- but in some ways it just misses the point.

That niche is fairly small -- mostly young Boomers between the age of, say, 45 and 52 who still can't quite get into cruisers because of the horrid image older boomers left on that type of machine, but don't want something ordinary like a Triumph Speed Triple or a (yawn) Ducati Monster. They like the status associated with HD, but they're not suckers; they know that cruisers suck.

There is no way someone under 30 will fall for these types of bikes, especially not when there are LOTS of cheap, well-built middleweight bikes like the SV out there. These types of bikes just are never going to resonate with young people... Most people under 30 don't even know what flat track is and have never heard of Eval Knievel.

Gen Xers will do a lot of spec-sheet racing and get something used like the SH. Our idea of retro is a Nighthawk and although we like the idea of something quirky and different, we hate the HD brand. (Generality alert, of course.) Hardly killed Buell and although few of us actually owned Buells, we were oddly drawn to the machines. But besides that, we see HD as an anti-status symbol. Owning a Harley means you're an fniggin idiot.

(Mort excluded, of course, but he owns a SH too. )

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see a market. And that's too bad since this is the only interesting machine they've made in my lifetime. I think a 'Guzzi Nevada probably does everything this bike does and lives in a similar universe for many thousands of dollars less.

It doesn't have the fake flat-track stuff going on, but I'm not sure that's enough. The Scrambler (slightly different market) and Buell TT (just a bad idea) didn't cash in on that look. I'm not sure this bike will, either.

CR

Last edited by Crashrat; 07-02-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Superstock

And like I said I think it is one of the best looking Harleys I've seen but it just doesnt hit the mark. All I'm able to see is a cruiser that they stuck a Showa fork on and some different exhaust.

And refering to my comment that I accidentaly posted on another thread. Has anyone here raced a V-Rod in a straight line? If so how did the hawk hold up?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
And refering to my comment that I accidentaly posted on another thread. Has anyone here raced a V-Rod in a straight line? If so how did the hawk hold up?
Yes and it was like he was standing still. Think about it, not quite the same HP with 200+ extra lbs.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 AM
SuperSport

A well set-up HD will surprise sportbikes stoplight to stoplight. Those bikes can be fast zero to 30. But WTF? Who buys a sportbike to go straight? People in Florida? The SH in particular is a curve carver, not a drag racer.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Squid

georgedombeck is on a distinguished road
A 600 lb. flattracker? Thats just dumb. Its a posing machine. Its no Buell.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Legendary motorcycles. Name:  scooter.gif
Views: 37
Size:  1.5 KB

Harley-Ferguson: leading innovators in retro-styling...and retro-technology.

Last edited by storm_rider; 07-04-2010 at 03:20 PM.