General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?

So, bias aside....I'm looking at a Ducati Sport Classic 1000. $10,500 for an 06. This is the retro bike, based on the 73 GT750 (I believe)...

Anyone ridden / owned one of these bikes? Any opinions? Reliability? Performance? Views?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
I have not ridden one but I did a little research so here is my 2 cents. They are completely different purpose bikes. The Classic is a great retro looking bike. If you like the older look that is a beautiful bike. The faster bike, by a noticable margin is the hawk. Sport Rider rated the Classic at 78 hp at the wheel where as the Superhawk has been dyno'd at just over 100hp at the wheel. Just by looking at both companies records the Honda is going to be more reliable and cheaper to service. I am not biased, I bought my hawk for one reason. It was an AFFORDABLE sport bike. So It depends what you are looking for in a bike.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
That seems steep $-wise to me, but I understand that you live in Canada, and unfortunately, pay a premium for bikes up there, even though your $ is almost the same as ours. I assume that must translate to used bikes as well? As far as the bike, is this the one with the front fairing or the naked one? ...
Like this?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcy/1816122165.html

You'll be down a few ponies on the SH, and I think the riding position will likely be a fair bit more aggressive than the hawk too, but it's got loads of character. I'd just have a hard time getting past the price.

-R
Old 06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
$10,500 for an 06.
I have a friend who has one and he loves it...that said, $10,500 for a bike whose MSRP was $10,995 4 years ago is just too much in my opinion...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
Price seems a little steep to me, but... if ya got the money and really want one, go for it! I've even recommended a Harley to a friend of mine who's always wanted one. I never criticize people for their tastes in bikes. The important thing is to ride what ya like. It's way more fun that way
Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Mister obvious here: But the SH weighs 480lbs and the Classic comes in at around 440lbs, I think, so the difference in power is somewhat negligible. The Classics are really equivalent to top-tiered Monsters and are supposedly wicked fun machines. The Ducati probably runs mid- to low-11s, maybe a tick slower than a VTR.

Other than that, the Classic will have better suspension parts out of the box. I think I read somewhere that the handlebar orientation is a bit radical, but the seat is supposedly good and the brakes are better than a stock SH’s.

Here’s a side-by-side:

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/2853/6942/

Ignore the weight specs as they’re the claimed weight.

Very different machines in a lot of ways, but I love both of them, too. I’ve always thought the SH in stock shape is very much like a ST2. If you lose the bodywork, relocate the rad under the seat, upgrade to a RC51 front end, get Oz rims (or whatever)… You start seeing a different retro / café racer / streetfighter bike that might have been.

The Classic is very possibly the best retro out there, a machine with the performance of a sportbike, but the good looks of a café racer. In a lot of ways, that’s a very sweet spot, but I don’t think sales have been that great and – in some ways – you would want to consider a Street Triple (http://www.motorbikes.be/en/compare/7009/6942/) or even a Verseys before going with an 11k Duck.

All this said, you can get a SH for 2.5k. I don’t think 11k for a new Ducati is too out there – I think the Triumph Thruxton is 9k – but you get more bang for your buck out of the Honda.

CR

Last edited by Crashrat; 06-30-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:11 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
The classic is miserable to ride. Then again, I think the same thing of the Hawk, but it's not as bad.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
+100. That thing looks painful! The bars are ridiculous low.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
last time I was in the duc dealer they said it was one of their best selling models. That was a few years ago. Honestly for me these bike are ugly... in pictures for some reason then you see one in person and they are beautiful. I don't know why that is?
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Squid

ZTurtle is on a distinguished road
The biggest thing to keep in mind about Ducatis is the maintenance. It's the whole reason that I sold my 748SP back in the day.
Yes, the interval for the service on the desmodromic valves is longer, but still. $800 or so at a pop around here.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The Hawk will absolutely smoke any of the retro classic air cooled Ducatis in any contest of straight line speed, but that's not what either bike is about, and the Ducatis are plenty powerful for sane street riding.
Bang for the buck goes to the Super Hawk.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Back Marker

Thanks guys - great advice and much appreciated...
Here's my rationale;
I love the VTR for it's value, fun and character.
But I also love the looks of the Sport Classic...it's the old Cafe Racer style from the 70's. At that time, a buddy of mine had a Rickman Metisse Bonneville Cafe Racer and I just drooled over that bloody bike! Could not afford it at the time, as a 18 year old mechanic. It's now 2010, and guess what - the Rickman is now $35,000 so still can't afford it....
The downsides and my resistance to the Ducati is the maintenance, together with a bunch of reliability issues. I'm not so worried about the performance - around 100 brake is enough for any sane street riding - and the ergo's...well, the VTR gives me no problems so should be OK with the Duc.
Bur $800 for a valve shim job....oooerrr!

I'll let you know what happens, but please do keep those opinions a comin' as I do take notice of your advice.
Cheers!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Love the look, hated the ride. Just not a comfortable bike.
Might want to consider one of the newer Triumph Bonnies as a second bike. Been looking that them for a while. Granted not the fastest thing out there, but still fun to ride, relaible, ton of aftermarket trinkets, cheaper than a Duc...
Old 06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Superstock

Dry weight for the Duc is 400lb and 426lb for the hawk. Power at the crank for the Classic is 91 and 110 for the hawk. The ducati has 4.38 pounds for each unit horsepower to carry around the Hawk only has 3.87 pounds per horsepower. Looking at numbers alone the hawk is a faster bike. If you look at rear wheel horse power 78 for the Duc and 101 for the hawk the gap widens. the 5.13lb per hp vs 4.22 for the hawk. That is almost a whole pound per horsepower difference. I think power is very relevant here.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Superstock

I was just trying to prove a point. These are two very different bikes. The ducati is definitely an attention grabber. You will get tons of compliments on it for sure. Just dont expect to beat a competant rider on a superhawk in a drag race.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
SuperSport

Them are claimed weights, PW. The only manufacturer who doesn't lie on their advertising is HD because no one cares.

Sportbike and Motorcyclist both publish actual weights under their "performance data" online. Motorcyclist used to do this in print, but it became stupid when their reviews -- obviously advertorials -- didn't match.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pe...lts/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/performanc...ers/index.html

http://www.sportrider.com/weights_me...nts/index.html

I've seen plenty of VERY fast riders on ac Ducatis. Neither of these bikes is for drag racing as Killer says, but I bet quarter-mile times are closer than you'd think and the Ducati is the better handling machine. Reliability is no question, though I've had friends w/ Monsters that weren't an issue. It probably depends on what you can do yourself.

I bow to folks who have ridden the bikes about comfort, and a lot of that is subjective. My old GB had clubman bars that were just silly and high rear sets, but somehow it worked.

I would be tempted if I had the cash burning a hole in my pocket.

CR
Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Superstock

Thanks for that link Crashrat that is pretty cool. There were a couple things that surprised me on there but most of all is how varied the 1/4 times were for the same bike. That is the slowest magazine 1/4 mile time ive seen for the hawk. 11.46 is kind of dissapointing. They did get 11.17 for the 97 hawk though. It really shows you that quarter mile times are not a good measurement for a motorcycle. I saw something interesting though. If you scroll down to their Harley section they have a Harley rated at 674 hp! INSANE, i want one of those.

at the same time if you think about how the hawk compairs to a lot of cars I will never afford 11.46 is smokin!

Last edited by pwshadow; 06-30-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
SuperSport

The legendary 04 Sportster Roadster -- my White Whale! Someday I'll get yer, cursed beast! Arg!

Hey, CANADAVTR, didn't you have a Buell? You have nothing to fear in a Ducati.

I like the looks of the new Bonnies, but you're talking HD 883-lvl performance, several steps back from a 90s Nighthawk or Magna.

Last edited by Crashrat; 06-30-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Crashrat
The legendary 04 Sportster Roadster -- my White Whale! Someday I'll get yer, cursed beast! Arg!

Hey, CANADAVTR, didn't you have a Buell? You have nothing to fear in a Ducati.

I like the looks of the new Bonnies, but you're talking HD 883-lvl performance, several steps back from a 90s Nighthawk or Magna.
Hey Crashrat...yep, I still have the Buell and the VTR. I certainly can't afford an additional, third bike (and the wife would never allow it!)...so that's the dilemma..one or both of the boys would have to go.
I was in the garage tonight, polishing the stainless pipes on the VTR...the Buell sat next to it..and thought "look man, how much fun do you really need?" So, having reviewed the posts and the advice from you folks - decison made - the boys are staying and the Duc will, I'm sure, find another caring owner!
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?-p1020266.jpg   Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?-p1010786.jpg   Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?-p1010791.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I found this real interesting.....

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/pe...lts/index.html

the top gear roll on from 60-80.....
'97 2.78 sec with 104 hp @ 8500 rpm with 68.5 ft\lbs @6750
'00 5.00 sec with 100 hp @ 8250 rpm with 67 ft\lbs @ 6250

Which sounds like a change in cam specs.

Guess that settles which is the fastest color as the bikes built in '97 were all red.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 06-30-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I think their dyno was out of calibration in 2000

....says the owner of an '05.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I think their dyno was out of calibration in 2000

....says the owner of an '05.
What about the extra 2.25 sec of roll on time from 60-80???
Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
2.5 seconds!!? can that be right? I have a red 98 so it doesn't hurt my feelings but that's crazy.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Superstock

That is quite a difference that 00 hawk was having a bad day. I would maybe understand if it was an 01 they tested because that is when they changed it but a 2000 should be the same bike.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by pwshadow
That is quite a difference that 00 hawk was having a bad day. I would maybe understand if it was an 01 they tested because that is when they changed it but a 2000 should be the same bike.
Not really as if you recall in '00 they came out with the RC51 so..... I still believe the put a little bigger cam in the first two years.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
I have an '05 SuperSport 1000 which has the same engine as the Sport Classic except the Sport Classic engine is slightly de-tuned.

No reliability issues to report. Regarding the valve clearance adjustments and timing belt changes, consider it DIY. It ain't that difficult.

The Duc has a much more refined suspension that gives it a much more stable feel at speed compared to my VTR. The Brembo brakes provide incredible stopping power. The dry clutch has a relatively wide friction zone and provides a nice feel.

The fuel-injected 2V 1000DS engine is an absolute gem.

Last edited by storm_rider; 07-01-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Mike might be right, it would explain why it seems like my bike isn't as powerful as I've heard described.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:01 AM
SuperSport

I do think the Buell and the Classic would compete against each other in some ways, but lord what a friggin' great choice to have to make in the morning

The VTR is a station wagon in comparison. A fast, cool station wagon, but a station wagon none the less. Of course there are lots of people here who have hardened them up. What's your durect experience of the two bikes side-by-side, Stormrider?

A lot of the reviews had problems with the hydraulic clutch slipping during hard launches. I have one of those motorcycle reports of the bike so I can track down the 00 review. I'd rub the genie lamp and see if Tweety will chime in about the cams, but I don't recall any changes through the years.

CR
Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
VTR vs. Ducati SS1000:

- better fuel economy because it has EFI, higher compression and dual spark plugs.

- the Duc feels a lot lighter and turns easier without the added weight of the side mounted radiators.

- deeper exhaust note.

- better ergonomics, more comfy.

- I mentioned the dry clutch feel and the stronger Brembo brakes (not sure if the Sport Classic has a dry clutch, if it has a wet clutch than Ducati messed up).

- the Ohlins shock is a nice touch as well as the inverted Showa adjustable forks, very stable at high speed.

- tops out 10mph less compared to my VTR, less air resistance with its full fairing and less rolling friction because of its lighter weight.

- it out-classes most any bike I pull up to.

Last edited by storm_rider; 07-01-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by storm_rider
VTR vs. Ducati SS1000:

- better fuel economy because it has EFI, higher compression and dual spark plugs.

- deeper exhaust note.

- better ergonomics, more comfy.

- I mentioned the dry clutch feel and the stronger Brembo brakes.

- the Ohlins shock is a nice touch as well as the inverted Showa adjustable forks, very stable at high speed.

- tops out 10mph less compared to my VTR, less air resistance with its full fairing and less rolling friction because of its lighter weight.

- it out-classes most any bike I pull up to.
You've got to be kidding me, the SC is a torture rack, unless you're 5'0

Quick Reply: Ducati Sport Classic 1000 or VTR?