General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New guy here -

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Squid

BatmanX is on a distinguished road
New guy here -

Looking to buy a SH.

One in my sights: 2002 with 6200 miles at a dealership. But it is red . I figure offer them 4,000 for it (asking 4500) ride it until winter, then have someone refinish the parts and tank.
Tires look decent, very clean.
Has Yosh pipes on it.
Tires look ok - probably need new ones next Spring.

Thoughts?

Look forward to hanging around!
Lots of great info here.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:12 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

I've bought many cars and bikes that had a color other than what I was looking for. I've found that in the end they always grow on you.

The price sounds fair, 4000 I mean, I wouldn't go much above that. Offer them maybe 4250 out the door. (tax, tag, title)

Hope it works out for you and you can decide to join us here, lots of smart people who are always wiling to help.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Squid

Steve30v is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the SH world. I just got mine in may (Red) and I LOVE it. I'd ride it everyday if I could. $4000 is decent price, but if you feel comfortable buying from private parties, I see quite a few SHs on auction sites and in classifieds that are priced well too. As for the color, do a few searches and you'll see that red is the fastest color.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:20 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard.... Red is a nice color
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Red will grow on you - I commute with a tank bag that covers the Honda tank logos and when people hear the rumble they often ask what kind of bike it is. I ride with alot of Ducati owners and when I mention painting it they freak since red is their flagship color.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road

Red is the default color of the bike but not what is "current." I think the black fad (especially flat black) is not only ugly it's dangerous. Hi-gloss black looks good on the Superhawk because of the red decals and the accent of the frame but on other bikes it's not nearly as visible.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Squid

Woohoo! Found one more to my liking locally.
A BLACK 04 with 8,000 miles.

Asking 6500. I will offer 6,000.
This is the one I was looking for.

Red is not my color - if there was a yellow one, I would take that (had a 00 CBR 600 F4 Black/Yellow).

You know, I have been thinking about it - so many motos with so few miles....what is wrong with people?

I averaged 9,000/yr on my CBR. Why spend all of that money and let it sit? Posers? sheesh.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We looked at an 04 with 5500 miles, black and priced at $5300. It had been sitting and when the owner started it it stuttered while cold but never ran smooth. He advertised it as perfect but someone had used an eraser wheel to take the wings off the gas tank and completely messed up the finish. The high-mounts were also corroded telling me the bike was outside for some time. I offered him $4300 because I was going to gut the bike for parts anyway. Turns out he had a loan on the bike and was already upside down and I think I hurt his feelings.

Look the bike over very carefully. Bring a blanket or old rug that you can throw down to look at the bike from the bottom side. Bring a flashlight. Make sure he's got the title and isn't ashamed to show it to you. Look for missing fasteners - at $3-4 each at the dealership these can mount up. After everything looks good - start it. Run it until the temp shows up into the low temp zone (150) - regardless of how it started it should be clean by now and idling smoothly. The fan should come on about 190 (I think). The fan (usually always reliable) is not a required test - may make the owner uncomfortable as well because it does get hot.

Good luck and I hope you find your dream machine! If not, buy one that you can build into "that" bike.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Fan should come on at 210 IIRC.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Squid

thanks for the info -

Awesome replies - thanks everyone.

I will use this info as well as the other threads titled similar to "what to look for".

After having the CBR - I am having a hard time leaving the Honda team, they just ride better and the sound is second to none with the right pipe. (I had a CF Two Brothers Oval)
Old 07-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Squid

Igmortis is on a distinguished road
Welcome.....My Red one gets plentyolooks.....had a chick in Austin at the ROT Rally stop and take a pic of my scooter and it was surrounded by a lot of really nice hogs!! On top of that red just goes faster!!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum - i just bought a used SH this year ('99 w/ 4ooo miles..) - but I purchased it through a dealer w/ a warranty. The bike (so far) is dependable as hell, runs good and has no problems. If you get into mods, defenitely listen to these guys, they know their sh_t and can be helpful. Don't listen to them on the colour though, we all know the black ones are a heap of alot faster......
Old 07-29-2007, 10:01 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
the only down side to red is it attracts more attention. wanted and unwanted. but when you're a bad *** motorcycle hero, you're not afraid of drawing attention. you dare your enemies to challenge you! perfect example: Manfred Von Richtoffen. I'm out. (drops the microphone and walks away)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Welcome.

Where are you from?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:19 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Welcome. These guys are full of useful information.. beware oif the smart asses, though.

Now to business. Yellow is the fastest, this has been proven.. don't question it. Done. Oil is important. Need to make sure you run the right one. Done. Tires.. good luck.. Pilot Powers.. I got 6K miles out of a set. Done. Fuel.. 130 miles max before RLOD.. Cleve-out.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Squid

Minneapolis, MN.
Sorry - updated profile now.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
I am going to paint my hawk black this winter. I think it looks great with the aluminum frame.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Welcome! My Supahawk is a Red 2002 and it's fast baby! I don't like the attention it gets from our friendly local & state law enforcers due to the color but to change the color is to drop the value...most folks looking at resale can attest original paint gets better resale value than repainted most times.

If you want Black, buy the Black year bike and enjoy the torque of the twins that your previous 4 banger couldn't muster even at 14K RPMS
Old 07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Squid

Tucknroll is on a distinguished road
I have two bros on my hawk and love em, sound great!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Some of the best information available for the SH's is on this forum. What the heck was that? Nevermindjust a red superhawk passing everybody else.