Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Squid

Hoop is on a distinguished road
New guy

I'll be trolling for good info.

I'm coming off an 83 Nighthawk 650, still 75hp, but the wrong bike for me!

I'm currently torn between the VTR and a 3rd gen VFR. I guess my motorcycling blood runs Honda red....lol.

Both are awesome bike, both are drop dead sexy and both seem honda reliable.

What are ins costs like? I'm 24 with a spotless record. Oh, I'm 6'3" and all of 170lbs dripping wet, what will I be expecting for fitment?

The only other bikes I'm looking at that are non Honda are Kawasaki ZR7s and SV650s....I'm not all for "holy crap" speed, just a comfortable mount for a person of lurch stature. The only two in the mix that are remotely quick are the VT and VF...lol
Old 01-06-2007, 10:55 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! Nice to have a real person on board, and not just another troll.

Insurance varies widely - anywhere from $100 to $2000 a year depending on your carrier. Call many different places.

Both bikes will be just a little bit short for you, but not uncomfortably so. You would just have to do more "pretzeling" to tuck in under the bubble (if you wanted to tuck in).
Old 01-06-2007, 11:04 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
That Nighthawk was my first street bike!! It was like riding a bucking bronco in the corners. I'm a short guy at 5'8" and I thought the sv was a little small and well not that exciting to ride but I've been riding since I was 9 yrs old. It's a terrific first bike and great for racing and handles nice but it left something to be desired for me. I've owned my SH since Nov. of 2000 and have no plans to sell it so as you can tell I like the bike.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I also had a nighthawk as my first bike, wouldn't mind picking up another one. Best advise I could give is to ride both bikes and see which one you will be happier with.. Although it's hard to beat the sound of a V-Twin once it's fired up.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:13 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Cool, my first bike was an '80 CB650C. Welcome aboard. Yeah if you have the means ride them both and see which you like better. Probably can't go wrong either way.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
V Twin sound my friend..... V Twin sound.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:37 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum... My first was a '73 Honda CB500 4 cyl but it normally ran well. Before the SH I had a '92 Nighthawk 750 which was a nice ride - I like SH better!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Squid

windaddiction is on a distinguished road
I'm 6'4" and Ive ridden both and own a VTR... I found the VFR was less leaned over but my knees and legs hurt after short rides... it was too cramped. My VTR I can ride all day, my back and arms get a little sore but my legs and knees never hurt. You can always get higher clip-ons or put some bar risers on ( search the threads) The VTR soudns awesome, and chicks dig teh rumble
Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The characters of the VTR and the VFR are so different this should be an easy decision. The VFR, great bike that it is, has never appealed to me. It's a better tourer than the VTR and has, I guess, better fuel range, but the VTR is much sportier and rougher around the edges from a character standpoint.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:38 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I didn't find that decision easy, Killer!
Old 01-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Squid

Hoop is on a distinguished road
Honestly, I love the way the VFR sounds more, but the VTR is a VERY close second. It just sounds choppy and mean for a twin.

I need to find one to sit on. In the last six months, one has come up for sale around me.....lol

I thought of one other bike I wouldn't mind last night as well. For whatever reason, I have a soft spot for CBR600F2s...lol

Any Northeast Kansas/northwest Missouri member want to let me sit on their superhawk...lol?? The problem I'm having is that most of the bikes I like are few and far between by me.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by nuhawk
I didn't find that decision easy, Killer!
Well, I guess I was just speaking for myself and the kind of riding I do.-) I have nothing against the VFR, but the personalities of the bikes are vastly different. I have a buddy who had a VFR identical to yours and I logged many miles on it. Very nice bike and superior to the Hawk in many ways for the long haul, but no match for the VTR for really sporty riding. Honestly, I haven't ever considered for a moment buying a VFR.
The VFR incarnation after the one you have is sportier, isn't it? And the newest version is a porker? Those are my impressions, but I really haven't kept up with the evolution of the VFR.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by killer5280
Well, I guess I was just speaking for myself and the kind of riding I do.-) I have nothing against the VFR, but the personalities of the bikes are vastly different. I have a buddy who had a VFR identical to yours and I logged many miles on it. Very nice bike and superior to the Hawk in many ways for the long haul, but no match for the VTR for really sporty riding. Honestly, I haven't ever considered for a moment buying a VFR.
The VFR incarnation after the one you have is sportier, isn't it? And the newest version is a porker? Those are my impressions, but I really haven't kept up with the evolution of the VFR.
Both of the VFR versions newer than his are all porkier. Not just sportier looking but heavier. And you are correct when you say that the VFR and the VFR have very different personalities. But you are in my opinion wrong about the VFR no comparing to the VTR in sporty riding conditions and circumstances. I own both bikes and actually two VTR's, a VFR, plus a Hawk GT. The VFR when in the right hands can hold its own quite respectfully with the VTR. Believe it or not the little Hawk GT will out handle the VTR and the VFR on really tight roads. http://www.scpmc.net/cpg148/index.php?cat=10311 Here's a link to pics of my small collection of Hondas.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I was having trouble uploading that picture. . . had written two responses only to have to bail because the pic wouldn't load. Now my real thoughts about the two. The Superhawk came first. Every time I sit on the seat it's just like being home. The VFR is a very special machine and I agree with you guys that there hasn't been a VFR worth owning since 2001. The Superhawk is my passion for motorcycles - the VFR is like desert! I got a very special deal on the VFR otherwise I would not have it. Now that I have it - I CANNOT tell you which one is my favorite. There are lots of bikes out there like the VFR - there are lots of copy cat VTR's now but in it's day it was ( and still is today) the one and only.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Lifttruck
Both of the VFR versions newer than his are all porkier. Not just sportier looking but heavier. And you are correct when you say that the VFR and the VFR have very different personalities. But you are in my opinion wrong about the VFR no comparing to the VTR in sporty riding conditions and circumstances. I own both bikes and actually two VTR's, a VFR, plus a Hawk GT. The VFR when in the right hands can hold its own quite respectfully with the VTR. Believe it or not the little Hawk GT will out handle the VTR and the VFR on really tight roads. http://www.scpmc.net/cpg148/index.php?cat=10311 Here's a link to pics of my small collection of Hondas.

The 1994-97 VFR was slightly heavier than the 1998-01 model. The latest one is heavier than either of the earlier versions.
We'll never settle the question of which bike can be ridden faster down a piece of curvy road; I'll just say that my opinion is that the Super Hawk has a rawer, sportier character to go with its less weight and more power.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Back Marker

Lifttruck is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by killer5280
The 1994-97 VFR was slightly heavier than the 1998-01 model. The latest one is heavier than either of the earlier versions.
We'll never settle the question of which bike can be ridden faster down a piece of curvy road; I'll just say that my opinion is that the Super Hawk has a rawer, sportier character to go with its less weight and more power.
Funny you should mention weight and power comparing the bikes. In reality the '98-'01 VFR and all of the VTR's are about the same hp. The VTR has more torque. 0 mph to 60 mph the VTR has it all over the 5th gen. VFR but the VFR 'WILL' catch and pass the VTR on the big end in the quarter mile. Now on twisty roads I'll give the handling nod to the VTR over the VFR but only slightly. They both handle like trucks compared to the most modern day sportbike offerings out there. What I like in the twistys with the VTR is it's engine braking characteristics. It's very easy to get into a rhythm and not need to use the brakes as much or as aggressively to be quick in the twistys. None of the 4's inline or "V" engine brakes as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
Dude, don't get an SV650S. I had one. No power at all. You'll be bored off you *** in a week. The forks are soft and crappy. The ergos are terrible. If you want to be in pain for an hour, just take an pilates class or something. The SV650S is much more painful. The brakes are grabby, which goes nice with the spongy bob front fork. Decent to look at once you get the full lower fairing, unless you prefer the disembodied chicken head look.

Get a Super Hawk, a VFR, etc. If you must have an SV. . . sorry if I offended.