General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New to Forum looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Squid

vib_guy is on a distinguished road
New to Forum looking for help

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and will probably be looking for a fair bit of help over the next little while. You see I have moved to Cayman Is. and have shipped my bike here, should have it early next week. Now here is the reason for the needed help. I have not yet heard of any good mechanics here on Island. My bike is a 2001 firestorm (Canadain eh!). I resently had the engine completely rebuilt with the following add ons:

JE high comp pistons
Gas flow heads
Custom Cams from Web Cams after market springs (Stage 2 maybe a little better, match head work).
Adjustable cam sprokets
APE Adjustable CCT
Dyno Jet
Full Akap Exhaust, Carbon fibre Cans

No chance to dyno tune before bike was shipped. I have about 3500 KM on the motor. It was set up a little rich for breakin, I also think the Can Chains tensioners might be a little loose.

My first question is adjusting the CCT without pulling the valve covers and checking deflection of chains. I have read briefly about doing the adjustment while the motor is running. Any comments advice?

Oh yeah, Yes the bike goes like mad!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road

Your biggest problem is finding a tuner that can help you set the bike up. That's prob going to take some digging. The other guys will chime in about the CCT's but it's easy to do and should be done with the bike warm and running.

Good Luck!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Squid

vib_guy is on a distinguished road
Tech Help

Thanks Nuhawk,

It does sound pretty staight forward, but always a little cautious when making an adjustment I haven't done before. Does APE have a proceedure anywhere? I couldn't find anything on their Web Site.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
what is the jetting set up, and how does it run now? I have a similar setup, and maybe some help. 8541hawk on the site has tons of experience with built up motors too.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You give me too much credit Bill...... But I'll do what I can to help. To adjust the CCTs you need to warm up the bike, loosen the lock nut and back out the center bolt untill the cam chain starts to rattle. Turn the center bolt in untill the rattle stops and it smooths out a bit. Hold the center bolt and tighten the lock nut. Thats all there is too it. Just remember to do both of them. As for the jetting, do you know what jet kit was put in it, if any? Do you have the stock air filter or aftermarket? Is the air box stock? Also what sizes mains and pilot jets are you running?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard!