General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New To The Forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
New To The Forum

Thursday I spotted a SuperHawk on the local CL for a pretty cheep price. After making arrangements to see it Friday a.m., I found the forum and started looking into why it wouldn't run for the guy. Based on his description of the symptoms and what info I found here, I figured that the reg/rect had gone belly up.

Yesterday I bought the bike and drug it home. Today I got into the wiring and sure enough, the reg/rect is hurtin', as is the harness connector. All else checks out OK (the battery is junk, but that's no big deal), so a new reg/rect and harness repair is on the agenda.

Based on scribblings on the back pages of the Owner's Manual, there is a DynoJet kit in the carbs, Gold Valves and stouter springs in the forks and possibly tapered roller bearings in the steering head. There are some funky stainless brake lines on the front, but the rear and the clutch are OEM rubber.

Having already tried to make a VFR comfortable for my Ol' Geezer body, I'm planning on putting a set of bar mounts on the upper triple clamp and a set of Superbike bend bars. This rig should keep me occupied through the oncoming winter, there's a bit of previous owners messin' with thaat needs to be straightened out.

Here's a pic of the bike after unloading it from my van.........it's a 50 footer!

Name:  Hawk01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  126.4 KB

Mmmmmm, toasty!

Name:  toasty.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  34.4 KB

Rex
Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Welcome from another new member, keep us posted with lotsa pic's.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome.

I have stock bars, but adding a Sargent seat 1 1/2 years ago sure made my 62 year old butt happy.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Welcome!!
Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site!
Old 10-03-2009, 08:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard! Projects rule. Especially when they're superhawks
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.

I spy an undertail and possibly upgraded front calipers? And stock CCTs :/ How many miles and what year?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The connector under the seat on my bike just cratered like that. As is written on other parts of the forum. I soldered the wires across the connector and made sure the shrink wrap was as tight as possible. Stator was fine, fukt up little cheapie r/r was fine. Over engineered Japanese Motorcycle - adapted.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

Originally Posted by Syclone

I spy an undertail and possibly upgraded front calipers? And stock CCTs :/ How many miles and what year?

It's a '98 with a bit over 28K miles. According to the records in the owner's manual, it has had fairly regular service intervals, and the previous owner(s) used moto-synthetic oil. I pulled the rear cam cover for a look-see at the innards, and everything looks very clean. I was hoping that there would be a K&N filter in the air box, but a semi-clean OEM filter was found instead.

I didn't think the calipers were the original. The OEM calipers were gold, from what I've seen. What is the reason for changing to CBR, or whatever, calipers? Are the piston sizes different? Are the bodies more rigid??

An undertail and a hugger have been fitted. It also has a Hyperpro steering damper, which is going to come off as soon as I round up a 30mm socket for the top steering stem nut. The rider pegs have been changed to pre-beveled aftermarket aluminum bits. Myself, I'd rather have the rubber covered OEM pegs.

Oh well, I knew this bike was gonna be a project. The first order of business is getting the electrical system squared away. Once the queertrons have been eradicated I can move on to comfort and cosmetic issues.

Here's a pic of the Hyperpro damper. It's for sale or trade if anyone is interested.

Rex
Old 10-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum. That's a big plus on converting to superbike bars. Just did mine & makes a world of difference. Good Luck!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
I didn't think the calipers were the original. The OEM calipers were gold, from what I've seen. What is the reason for changing to CBR, or whatever, calipers? Are the piston sizes different? Are the bodies more rigid??
The pistons are considerably larger, if the M/C is the stock VTR, consider swapping it too a CBR one and you will get considerably more bite and feel, the stock one is a bit wimpy and matched to a CBR caliper you will get a looooong pull...
Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
From the glimpse of the M/C I got in that one picture it looks like it has been changed. You might be doing alright depending what it is. If you can give close up's of the calipers and M/C or maybe some numbers off of them we might be able to tell you what you working with.

The stock front brakes on these bikes are pure garbage, upgrading them is a common mod.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
From the look I would guess those are F4i calipers (good choice) but not sure on the MC as a F4i MC would have an integrates Res.

Oh, and welcome!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

Originally Posted by lazn
From the look I would guess those are F4i calipers (good choice) but not sure on the MC as a F4i MC would have an integrates Res.

I think the front master cylinder is the stock bit. I put an F4i master cylinder on my Tiger 1050 to be rid of the standard "urine sample cup" Triumph fitted.

I find the sample cup style units are pretty hard to look at when they're hangin' out in the breeze on regular handle bars.

Rex

CBR master cylinder on Tiger.

Name:  cbrrez.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  78.0 KB
Old 10-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Welcome.....
Old 10-06-2009, 10:07 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Welcome aboard.

Planty of good mods you can do to the VTR.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum, whereabout are you from i see north eastern ohio im from the chagrin falls area and was just curious.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Welcome.