General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Firestorm Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Squid

Mudkicker is on a distinguished road
New Firestorm Owner

I purchased a 1998 Firestorm with 35 000 KM on Saturday. On Sunday I took it for an 8 hour journey to Lake Placid NY.

Here is the email that I sent my riding buddies this morning.

"The VTR 1000 was very good. Compared to my '94 ZX7, there was no upper body pain and no leg pain...I am happy about that. However, the Corbin seat is just aweful. It is as hard as a plank of wood. It was pretty much unbearable. I will take it apart and add 1/4'' hi density foam and hopefully it will improve.

The bike is the polar opposite of what I am used to. Big power at low RPM. No need to shift like crazy. Very nimble and forgiving. Feels a lot lighter than the '94 ZX7. I like everything about it except for one thing...vibrations. I feel constant vibration in the handlebars, seat and foot pegs.
It's not that bad but I am definatley not used to that. It's worse when I accelerate hard at low RMP.

The fun factor of the bike is the amout of torque you get when you hit the throttle, it's a blast when acceletating out of a curve.

That's about all I can think of."
Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've had my VTR for 11 years and more than 116,000 km. I suppose there are some things about the bike that I've stopped noticing. If I were troubled by vibration, I'd check carb balance and make sure the motor mounts, subframe bolts and swingarm nut were tight (although I've never read of any of them becoming loose if properly tightened initially). I once did a 6 to 8 hour long highway run with a fractured vibration damper in the left stock clipon. My ring finger, pinky and the outer edge of my left hand stopped being numb after about a week.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by comedo
I've had my VTR for 11 years and more than 116,000 km. I suppose there are some things about the bike that I've stopped noticing. If I were troubled by vibration, I'd check carb balance and make sure the motor mounts, subframe bolts and swingarm nut were tight (although I've never read of any of them becoming loose if properly tightened initially). I once did a 6 to 8 hour long highway run with a fractured vibration damper in the left stock clipon. My ring finger, pinky and the outer edge of my left hand stopped being numb after about a week.
Thanks for the reply. I will have my mechanic look into the things that you mentioned. Do you have any other general tips for me?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Check the knowledge base section for general mechanical tips. esp. CCTs and R/R

Its two 500cc pistons bouncing around so expect a bit more vibes than an IL4. As mentioned make sure the bar weights are both in and carbs are balanced. Try not to lug the motor at low rpm low speed "It's worse when I accelerate hard at low RMP" Try a lower gear?. Check condition of c&s and cush drive. Try not to grip bars to tight or rest your top half weight weight on bars - Strengthen abs ;-)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Squid

I understand this is a different animal that what I am used to. So far though, I love it.

Generally, how easy is it to procure a 19litre tank from later models?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mudkicker

Generally, how easy is it to procure a 19litre tank from later models?
Rare as....

Old 09-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Mud, if your willing to come in my neck of the woods, I can check the bike for you....and sinc your carbs if you wish.