General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Im New and have just purchased a firestorm,

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Squid

nick.p0306 is on a distinguished road
Im New and have just purchased a firestorm,

Hi all, im fairly new to biking and recently noticed the gears on bike have a little clunk, i.e not like geared cars, my first bike was a suzuki bandit 600 this had the same, but when i got the firestorm, i couldn't help noticing the gear shifting has a slight clunk,

Is this normal? i know that 1st to 2nd is renowned for it but even that sometimes goes in smoothly, but other times it doesnt, simalair with the othe gears.

thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Good oil.. do a search, find all 10,000 recommendations and then choose one, try it, chose another, make up your own mind on what a good oil is.. cuz no matter who you ask your going to get a ton of replies,

And Yes, the SH is clunky shifting.
At the no cast level is reminding you to shift with authority,, not harshly, but you cannot glide it in to gear…make a decision to shift and do so.

Next up would be the oil recommendation above.
After that two other things I found that add up to some very nice shifting.
Custom shifter and linkage from Jamie here on this list, look in the classifieds and you’ll see his post on the billet shifter he has available.
And you can improve upon it even more with the Factory Pro complete shift kit.

All told.. Quality synthetic 100% ester based oil, Jamie’s shifter and the Kit from Factory Pro makes for a slick shifting Super Hawk
Old 11-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
yeah +1 to txsuperchicken's suggestions. quality full synthetic will make a night and day difference with shifting (just remember to compare warm before complaining :P) haha j/k hell even fresh conventional oil will make shifting feel better albeit only for a limited time.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Squid

Nice one cheers,

Forgive me in sounding thick though, what your saying is by changing the engine oil would potentially solve my issues with this?
Old 11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
no, the superhawk has a tendancy of shifting hard from first into second. having good oil can make the problem a little better, but its not a total fix. that's just the way the bike is. it wants to be shifted with authority. right around 4.5-5k rpm. that's what works for me. you'll get used to it. nothing to worry about. if you are worried about the initial clunk when you put it in first from neutral, that's also nothing to worry about. the hawk has a heavy duty clutch, and alot of momentum spinning before you put it into gear. its normal. inline 4 bikes like your bandit don't make as much torque so don't need such a heavy duty clutch. put some mobil 1 15W-50 and you'll be fine.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Hey, consider yourself lucky! I've just bought a Firestorm this week and rode it for the first time today. Lovely bike, and the gears feel just like they should.
I also have a Buell, and putting that thing in gear is like you don't even have the clutch pulled in...it grinds and coughs into gear like an old cultivator! And neutral? LOL! Good luck with that on a Buell!
The Storms feels great...enjoy...
Old 11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
My 98 works great, shifts smooth, no clunk , clunk die or any thing else I read about on this forum, and oh yeah, I use dino oil!! Go figure!!
Old 11-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Back Marker

superbikemike
And another thing, over 20K and original CCT!! Take that!! Rant over.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
In case you didn't know, the engine oil is the transmission oil. It's all part of the same lubrication system. And in case you didn't know, like I didn't, not all car oils can be used in motorcycles. Some of them have some slippery additive in them, and they will make your clutch slip and wear out prematurely.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 PM
Squid

Nice one guys, just spoke to guy down the road who has an XL 1000 varadero, same engine, he says its normal too, maybe the revs need not be completely taken off fully when pulling in the clutch. well thats what he said!! lol
Bizarre thing is, i live in the uk so its probably not going to be used anyhow until spring, typical british crappy rainy days, sorry ranting on (dry weather biker myself)
Old 11-15-2009, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My VTR shifts wonderfully and I am using much of what TX says. Here is my set-up:
- Jamie D shifter (machined to accept a needle bearing, works very very well!!!!)
- replaced stock linkage ends with Heim joints (no slack at all)
- move shifter arm so that it gets as close to 90 degrees to linkage as posible (can go two splines; it's all about geometry)
- recently installed a FP detent arm

While it still clunks a bit on the 1st -2nd shift, the throes are short, postitive and remarkably light, there is zero play (either vertically or laterally) in the mechanism and it now shifts as well as anything I have ever ridden.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Back Marker

Mikstr, I like the sound of your mods to the gear shift. Can you guide me to the suppliers? My 'new' 2000 VTR has a bent shift lever, and rather than replace with a stock item, I might as well upgrade over the winter. P.S. I like the mods to your bike in general...sounds like a real nice bike.

Nick,
I lived in West Yorkshire before we moved to Canada...so I know what you mean about the wet British winters! LOL

John
Old 11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Back Marker

Mikstr,
No worries - I found Jamie's link further up the string...I'm ordering a lever right now...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the kind words John and yes my bike runs real well. TO be honest, short of getting the set of OS high-comp JE pistons I have sitting around installed, it is pretty well modded out (nothing really left to fix or improve without reaching deep into the wallet). If I can be of any help or provide advice in any way with your VTR let me know.

cheers
Micky
Old 11-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Back Marker

Thanks Micky - you can be sure that as I get in to the mods I'll be e mailing you!

Cheers
John
Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Squid

bcwood is on a distinguished road
Bike transmissions differ from cars - they need to be shifted deliberately. The hawk definitely has a loud sound to the shift as well, esp. in the lower gears. I run full synthetic oil, I don't believe it changes the behavior or experience.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Squid

Superclean09 is on a distinguished road
Pre-weight the shifter before you pull in the clutch. As soon as the clutch is in far enough the shifter will click up into 2nd. Not smooth like buttah but better than the alternative.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 PM
Squid

Nice One all<

Took the bike out for serious ride re evaluation on sunday, the sun was out yipeee!
I tried to shift with keeping a little gas on and it has done the trick, maybe it was me being over zellous when changing.
Need to do some tinkering now bit of subframe rusty paint needs sorting as with the mirrors as the paint has come off, other than that might change oil and filter asn give the girl a good clean ready for xmas.