General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

My Superhawk not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
mau
Squid

mau is on a distinguished road
Unhappy My Superhawk not start

hola! my name is Mau and I have a superhawk996 but I have a problem, my bike will not start, just "click" when I start the engine, this will be the relay next to the battery on the red wire? Thanks for your answers!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Pull the connector off the top of the starter relay. Make sure the terminals are not corroded.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM
mau
Squid

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Pull the connector off the top of the starter relay. Make sure the terminals are not corroded.
Thank`s man!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
do you have a volt meter to check the battery? it should read 12.6 to 12.8 volts at rest if it's fully charged.

If it's not, you can either charge the battery or jump start it. Either way, check the voltage again while it is running to see if you are getting a good charge to your battery. it should read approximately 13.8 volts while running. even as high as 14.1 is ok.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Also check the starter motor connector bolt and cable where it attaches under the rubber boot for corrosion. If water gets in through the seals it can damage the SM and/or if the cable gets knackered. keep it greased up!

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../STARTER_MOTOR
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
And for the blatantly obvious... Check that the killswitch is in the correct position... It wouldn't be the first time someone forgot that...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
And for the blatantly obvious... Check that the killswitch is in the correct position... It wouldn't be the first time someone forgot that...
I only do that at stoplights, in the middle of rush-hour traffic...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
To add to to Tweet's obvious... If your sidestand switch is faulty/broken it won't start unless you've got the clutch pulled in... or are in neutral
Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I only do that at stoplights, in the middle of rush-hour traffic...
I have once nearly ended up getting the bike on a trailer after a stop at a gas station... I was at my wits end, and about to call when I finally remembered to check the switch...

Talk about embarassed... But the bystanders got a big scare when the bike decided to burn off the excess fuel I had pumped into it trying the starter... The backfire and resulting flame scared the crap out of them... And me...
Old 12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Talk about embarassed... But the bystanders got a big scare when the bike decided to burn off the excess fuel I had pumped into it trying the starter... The backfire and resulting flame scared the crap out of them... And me...
You can DO that!!!!???? I wanna try!

I have run my starter till my battery died b/c I had forgotten that I had my fuel valve shutoff...
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
mau
Squid

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
do you have a volt meter to check the battery? it should read 12.6 to 12.8 volts at rest if it's fully charged.

If it's not, you can either charge the battery or jump start it. Either way, check the voltage again while it is running to see if you are getting a good charge to your battery. it should read approximately 13.8 volts while running. even as high as 14.1 is ok.
Yes, I checked the battery charge, is with good load, and when I turn one does, "click"
Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
mau
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Also check the starter motor connector bolt and cable where it attaches under the rubber boot for corrosion. If water gets in through the seals it can damage the SM and/or if the cable gets knackered. keep it greased up!

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/.../STARTER_MOTOR
Check the battery positive line, check the proper funionamiento the relay, from there I go to the starter motor to see that the leads were correct, remove the starter motor and connect it directly to a battery and perfect twist
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If it's only going "click", the kill switch or side stand switch are not the problem.

Check all other items mentioned above plus, make sure the engine turns freely (not seized or hydrostatic lock). With the key OFF, and the bike in a high gear, not 1st or 2nd, try pushing the bike. If you can push it, the engine is turning freely.

Also, have someone try to crank it while you hold a voltmeter between ground and the + starter terminal. If you don't get voltage, the starter is NOT the problem. If you do get voltage (and the engine turned freely when you pushed the bike), you need a new starter, providing the electrical connection and starter mounting bolts are clean and tight.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:42 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I was slow in completing my last post. After reading your last post, I would say try pushing your bike, like I said above, to see if the engine turns freely. The higher gear you use, the easier it will be to push. 6th is best.

Your starter is good if it turns freely and at high speed when removed from the engine.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 12-06-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
mau
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I was slow in completing my last post. After reading your last post, I would say try pushing your bike, like I said above, to see if the engine turns freely. The higher gear you use, the easier it will be to push. 6th is best.

Your starter is good if it turns freely and at high speed when removed from the engine.
Thanks, I'll try and make them comment that
Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
My starter relay failed a couple years ago.I had 12.8 volts at the positive battery cable side(red ) and only .2 volts on the starter cable side when the starter button was pushed.The fuse was good.I bought a used one on ebay for 15.00.

Last edited by ascothawk; 12-08-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
In the category of free, easy or cheap diagnosis: My money rides on a bad battery. Same symptom on my 'Hawk. It would show good voltage after a night on the battery tender but only click when attempting a start. The fault was a transient internal cell short. Pull it, charge it then load test it down at an auto parts store.

A Wal Mart battery, the 'mat technology' was the replacement and I've been happy since.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
I have once nearly ended up getting the bike on a trailer after a stop at a gas station... I was at my wits end, and about to call when I finally remembered to check the switch...

Try flipping the kill switch for about 2 seconds while you are cruising down main street then fire it back up.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
mau
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If it's only going "click", the kill switch or side stand switch are not the problem.

Check all other items mentioned above plus, make sure the engine turns freely (not seized or hydrostatic lock). With the key OFF, and the bike in a high gear, not 1st or 2nd, try pushing the bike. If you can push it, the engine is turning freely.

Also, have someone try to crank it while you hold a voltmeter between ground and the + starter terminal. If you don't get voltage, the starter is NOT the problem. If you do get voltage (and the engine turned freely when you pushed the bike), you need a new starter, providing the electrical connection and starter mounting bolts are clean and tight.
I tested to put in a high gear and pushing but does not turn the wheel, trailing only
Old 12-17-2010, 07:37 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
That's doesn't sound promising. I suppose it's possible you didn't have enough traction, you might want to pull the plugs and try pushing again.
You haven't told us what happened the last time the bike worked. Any odd sounds when you put it away? You have to confirm the engine will turn before we can go much further.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 PM
mau
Squid

Nuevamente estoy visitando el foro, efectivamente el motor ya no funciono, los cojinetes de biela no funcionan, voy a cambiarlos por unos nuevos en medida "std" alguien me puede ayudar con el numero de parte.

Today my english it's not good, sorry
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM
mau
Squid

somebody we can help'me with part number of, bearing of "biela"

the image is color red,

thanks
Attached Thumbnails My Superhawk not start-metales-de-biela.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
RIPI
Squid
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rbrais
Try flipping the kill switch for about 2 seconds while you are cruising down main street then fire it back up.
Keep it off for ten seconds when someone is tailgating and maybe the exhaust outlet will act as a big projectile!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 PM
Squid
Squid

franz125 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mau
somebody we can help'me with part number of, bearing of "biela"

the image is color red,

thanks
Conrod