General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

In my absence.... (aka cars, computers, and fermenting puppies)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
In my absence.... (aka cars, computers, and fermenting puppies)

Yeah, I've been a stranger here for the last few weeks. It's been kinda nuts.

First I went to St. Louis to visit family for a week. Got back. Got rear ended in the winter beater (91 Corolla 219000 miles!). Had to deal with the insurance fiasco and get a new car. In the process got a new computer and had issues getting software and profiles transferred over.

Bought a new winter beater (97 Altima 137K miles $1250) that needed some work (brakes, both halfshafts, tuneup stuff) so that took a couple days. When I bought the vehicle it had a strange stench to it. Throughout the week it was getting worse, to the point that I would light up a Marlboro every time I drove just to make it bearable. I almost couldn't wait for this weekend to arrive to give me an opportunity to tear apart the interior and track down the source. At first I was thinking the PO (a nasty, fat, smelly woman with 3 nasty little pukey kids and 3 stinky, slobbering bulldogs) just brought her house smell with her into the car. But the more I drove it, the more I knew there was something else awry. As Friday rolled around I was convinced there was a fermenting puppy hidden somewhere in the car. Between the dog hair and the stench I was convinced!

So this weekend I did, in fact, tear apart the interior. Turns out there was no puppy, but there was something fermenting...literally. The puppy would have been easier - just place it in a plastic bag and move on. "Here, lady. Here's your plates, your garage door opener, and your dog you left in the car!"

Sometime in the car's history, what appears to be a case of cola exploded, literally covering everything in a sticky, smelly, sweet stench. I found cola syrup in the shifter console, behind the ashtray, under the front seat, on the headliner, and in and under the rear seat. It was mainly concentrated in the latter area, where it had run down the hole where the seatbelt goes through the cushion, then over time absorbed into the seat foam, insulated from the elements, left to distill into some new form of biological growth, aided of course by the heat of the exhaust rising from below.

After about 20 gallons of hot water, 3/4 gallon of carpet shampoo, 1/4 bottle of Febreze, and topped off with 4 stragegically placed Bounce sheets I think I may have won this battle. Only summertime will tell, of course, with the heat and all.

So this is what I've been doing with my time recently, with an occasional hour or two of Oblivion thrown in to keep my sanity. My wife thought I may have actually reached the end of the internet, but alas this evening I am proving her wrong!

See ya'. Gotta go plow the ******* snow off the driveway!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We had another day of winter here, too! It was 48F and drizzle all day. Yesterday before the front blew in it was 74F and I did about a hundred miles. (clutch is good btw) Sorry to hear about your crash. And the poor old Cornhola - you did a lot of work on that bitch! And a new computer - now there's a concept. I hope you're not using the ice machine in the wet bar to cool this one!

Big, fat, smelly bitch . . . too bad KC hasn't been around lately! Why you buy **** like this? You in for a workin' over - **** - you think the cola was bad. Gimme a minute to think . . .

Did you check the trunk? Her x is probably in there and has been for some time!

How about an update on this Yamaha? Slacker!
Old 12-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yamaha is on the backburner until my roommate moves out of the basement just before Christmas. Then I'll use the basement as a workshop - better work environment than the freezing-***-cold garage.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:43 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Ha! I got a special surprise the other day. I found a full fiver of k1. I use a bullet to bring the shop up to temp fast and then let the cleaner propane heaters carry on. Last year with my grip problems cold tools were just not working. The ******* squirrels are driving me crazy. I'm getting in one of those Eastwood kinda moments . . .

The soffits were never finished on the shop to help it breathe during the summer. We just packed the rafter cavities with paper backed insulation and it did great retaining the heat in the building. However, it's no match for these little creatures that want to push it out of the way or tear it up for their nests high up in the trees.

I gotta thing about live traps - they're not live for long!

Did you build the new computer or buy it?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Built it...sorta. I bought a barebones with MB, PS, and CPU. Added a new MSI Nvidia 8600GT with the order. I got a super deal on a 400Gb 7200rpm HD from Staples on Black Friday and just transferred my old LG DVD/RW to the new unit. This new box just screams! It's a Q6600 Quad core 2.4GHz with 4Gb of DDR2. Not too bad on gaming and stomps a lot of the benchmark programs.