Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

Indy cars at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Indy cars at Barber

I went and watched their practice/evaluation day on Friday Oct. 12.
The day started about 9 am and by noon that had blown the old absolute track record out of the water.

Best time of the day: 1:09.7

For comparison: Top AMA guys run mid 20s
Fast WERA guys run about 1 min 30.
Average track day Intermediate-Advanced: mid 30s - mid 40s

Attached are a few pics in case anybody is interested.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Indy cars at Barber-irl1.jpg   Indy cars at Barber-irl2.jpg   Indy cars at Barber-irl3.jpg  

Last edited by Brian A; 10-15-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
And you can bet that for a race they would probably qualify a few seconds faster than that. Nothing like having a better power to weight ratio than bikes and four wheels on the ground.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by killer5280
..... and four wheels on the ground.
INDEED!

Plus with the downforce created by the bodywork, those things stick like glue.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
The Champ cars were running 1:05.9 (hand timed but consistent) and that was the team that placed 7th in the championship the previous year and they were evaluating two drivers that had never even driven a Champ car! I don't think they hired either driver, I don't recognize the names in the Rookie of the Year standings, anyway. Also, their chief safety steward said that to race there safely they'd need catch fence on both sides of all four sections that closely parallel each other (to and from the hairpin and the front and back straights on either side). I can't see that getting by the Mr. Barber that hid guardrails with bushes. When open-wheelers touch wheels one of them goes skyward and those sections of track are too close together. IRL obviously doesn't give a ^&*% about peoples' lives or they wouldn't have based a series around open-wheel oval racing, anyway....

I seriously hope they don't run at Barber, every track that runs those winged, over-tired monsters has horrible buckling in the asphalt, especially in the braking zones.

As an aside, the series is the brainchild of that idiot T. George who has done everything in his power to destroy every bit of hope for road racing in the United States, using that over-sized box-shaped toilet bowl his grandaddy gave him as a weapon. Because of him I never went to see F1 there, and I won't go there for MotoGP. I don't even like the Colts because of him. I've never seen an IRL race and I won't. Greed is a poor excuse for a race series.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
yeah it's kinda sad that champcar isn't what it used to be though. i used to never miss a race and i went to quite a number of them, especially at Nazareth PA. It's not as much fun without all the different manufacturers.

I wish they would just merge the two series together like they always talk about. it would be better for everyone involved. just get it over with and get back to good racing.

i don't like tony g either but i'm still gonna go to the motogp race though