General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Mini indicators - dangerous?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 AM
Squid

Whoa Nelly! is on a distinguished road
Mini indicators - dangerous?

Had the rare (for round here) sighting of another VTR the other day, and was admiring its tidy tail mods - cut down fender, smallish but legal-looking plate and mini led turn signals, much like many other folks' rides. As I followed them, they turned off without indicating - then I realised they were indicating, but the feeble pale glow was barely visible, even on an overcast day. Now I'm all for a bit of form over function, but not when that function is keeping the cagers out of my personal space. What do you think?
Old 04-02-2010, 06:39 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
There are a variety of mini turnsignals available. Some much brighter than others. Cheap LEDs will have a narrow focus and won't be as bright. If you run mini's or the ones built into the undertail (like mine) adding an integral tail light such as the Clear Alternatives is a good idea. I went this route after friends told me they couldn't see mine very well.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:03 AM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I have an integrated taillight and was concerned about the signals being too close together to convey my intentions at any great distance. Recently added a pair of license plate bolt LEDs to the back end of my rear peg brackets. Used clear ones I had on hand so they might be illegal but they make a big difference according to someone who followed me before and after. Easy install, just tapped holes and ran the wires into the tail fairing and tapped into the signal wires from the taillight. Don't even notice them unless they're blinking. Drilled a larger top hole in my plate and moved it up to cover my seat lock on the same day. Pics in my album someday.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
The really cheap mini LED blinkers I put on my cafe are really bright so I would say it may be hit and miss with cheapo ones on their brightness.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:39 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Indeed, I was unhappy with the integrated tail lights brightness and visibility when turning, so I added additional blinkers to my passenger foot pegs.. much improved
Old 04-02-2010, 09:03 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Another benefit of the stock 3-wire blinkers is they stay on solid when not in use, so the drivers know where to look. I would not expect a cager to see the little flush mount blinkers, and that's a bad thing when they're bearing down on you in a hurry a pissed of that you're braking, because they don't realize you're turning up ahead.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
bigger, or at least brighter is better, for sure. having said that, other helpful things are:

in slower traffic settings use hand signals too. I have a friend who does this and I'm amazed at how much more noticeable it is.

ride faster - nobody should be anywhere near catching up to you or hitting you from behind at least.

where a white helmet, or other neon colored clothing - its dramatic how much more noticeable you are. If you have a dark helmet, put white, bright stickers all over it.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I had an undertail with relatively small rear turn signals. After being told by my gf who followed me in the car that they were less than perfectly visible, I added a LED taillight with integrated turn signals. I now have both working together, which should be significantly better than before.

Last edited by mikstr; 04-02-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well in the happy Bay Area, aftermarket rear signals are one of the local "pet peeves" of the Sheriff & CHP.

If you have them, it's not if, but when will they pull you over for it.

So that is why I'm still running the shortened stock rear turn signals..... kind of the best I can do and not get written up for it.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Squid

Whoa Nelly! is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Another benefit of the stock 3-wire blinkers is they stay on solid when not in use, so the drivers know where to look. I would not expect a cager to see the little flush mount blinkers, and that's a bad thing when they're bearing down on you in a hurry a pissed of that you're braking, because they don't realize you're turning up ahead.
Especially with an engine brakey beastie like the VTR - I have to remember to tap the stoppers for the benefit of the people behind as much as for my need to slow down
Old 04-02-2010, 01:43 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Well in the happy Bay Area, aftermarket rear signals are one of the local "pet peeves" of the Sheriff & CHP.

So that is why I'm still running the shortened stock rear turn signals..... kind of the best I can do and not get written up for it.

What can they possibly do? There are plenty of aftermarket units that meet the traffic laws on spacing and size, etc.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

They can't write you a ticket for anything, unless the aftermarket units don't meet the law's specifications.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well to answer both questions it comes down to being D.O.T. certified and very few, if any aftermarket signals are..... Just the way of life in the Santa Cruz Mtns.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
I'm all for bike modification, but i think safety should all ways be a priority over cosmetic looks. But some people will always choose looks over safety. They will probably learn the hard way.