General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

"CrampBusters" = dangerous

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
"CrampBusters" = dangerous

Fellow Hawksters, just wanna share had a couple of real scary incidences with this little device today. While riding some local twisties, was on approach to a sharp corner and so was downshifting/ braking..... If you have one of these little jewels, you know they wrap around the right side of your throttle grip - the idea being that you can control your throttle with the right heel of your hand, rather than wrapping your hand around it and cramping up after some time. I have an average size hand, but have found that to pop the throttle to downshift (and not be manipulating the 'Buster'), you gotta have your hand shifted to the left side of the grip. Long and short of it is that I ended up taking 2 minor (thank you God) outside corner excursions as a result of inadvertently goosing the throttle with part of my hand that was not intended to be part of my manuver. Took the CrampBuster off as soon as I got home!

Make sure you have your throttle hand very precisely positioned if your gonna leave your "Buster" on, or you might find your self busting off the road.........
Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
No, the cramp buster is not dangerous... However your usage of it might bee... It's definetly not supposed to be used in any way while riding the twisties... That's not the fault of the manufacturer or product... That's just common sense, plain an simple...
Old 07-13-2009, 05:35 AM
Squid

cheapbastard is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
No, the cramp buster is not dangerous... However your usage of it might bee... It's definetly not supposed to be used in any way while riding the twisties... That's not the fault of the manufacturer or product... That's just common sense, plain an simple...

I agree, I just used one for my entire cross country trip, and loved it, had no problems with it.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:26 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
It's a great device but I only use it on trips when I'm going to be cruising on highways at more than 100 kph for more than two hours at a time. When I'm off major highways, I just rotate mine to about a one o'clock position when looking at the end of the twistgrip so that it's out of the way. You also have to be careful making tight turns to the right when it's in the standard position. The crampbuster can contact the tank and open the throttle more than you want.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
I
Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Angry

I was saying, I only use mine on trips. I have had a moment when I did not remove it and had a incident in the twisties like yourself.
Originally Posted by badboyrr
I
Old 07-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Experience is a great teacher............

Amen
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I've got one and its useless. It usually ends up rotating downwards too far to be beneficial so I spend more time chasing it around trying to get it set right.

For $10 more you can get a throttle lock that is great for freeing up the throttle hand for a minute or 2 or more if you're on flat ground.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
While we're on the subject, the throttlemeister is a bit dangerous too. Its hard to not nudge it occasionally in the twisties and then a some point it begins holding the throttle open unexpectedly while heading into a turn. Now I check it on the straights every 10 min or so to make sure its disengaged all the way. It would be kinda a bitch to remove before each twisty ride, unlike the crapbuster.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 07-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:39 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there is a trade off with most of them. Personally, its hard to improve on the vista-cruise design - cheap, a snap to install and easiest to use and very effective - not as pretty but does its job very well and doesn't get in the way.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
<You also have to be careful making tight turns to the right when it's in the standard position. The crampbuster can contact the tank and open the throttle more than you want. >

Wow. That'll wake you up.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
the vista cruise will contact the tank as well. Not cool (can leave a dent if you are not careful). significantly decreases lock (problem in parking lots)