General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

SuperHawk 2.0 The first ride.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
SuperHawk 2.0 The first ride.....

So we had a sunny day yesterday which means it was time to ride.....

Attachment 8786

After a quick run out of town, which got everything up to temp. It was time for a quick stop to check over the bike to make sure nothing was falling off....

Attachment 8785

The it was the fist set of mild twisties.... If I had to discribe the bike in one word now, it would be "Frickin' Awesome"......

Even though I was a touch lean on the bottom now (to use the Un-PC old school terms, she sounded like a "Mexican Revolution" when you let off the throttle...lol Which has been taken care of with a 1\2 turn out on the pilots and adding 1 shim to the needles) She pulls like a freight train....

Then there are the brakes....... The difference is unbelievable. I was running SP2 calipers w\EBC pads and a 600rr (11\16") master and thought the brakes worked pretty good. Well they were pure ***** compared to the new set up. To give you an example, the first corner I came to where I was carrying enough speed to use the brakes was aeasy right hander. I was running at about 60mph and want to bring her down to about 40mph as I was still taking things easy. So I gave the front brakes a lite squeeze. With the old set up I would have bleed off the desired speed but with the new stuff, instead of doing 40mph I was suddenly doing 25mph. I not only had to get off the brakes but actually had to get back on the throttle just to make it to the corner.....

Now for the Vesrah RJL review: These pads have been referred to as being as good as HRC pads. I would have to say sorry but they are not. With that I will say they are close though. They do make the same zing as the HRC pads and they are much better than EBC HH pads, the feel is just not quite the same as the HRC stuff. But at half the price and the ability to last much longer than the HRC pads ( if you have ever seen HRC stuff, the backing plate is twice as thick as an average brake pad, which is good for performance but you end up with around 1\2 the brake pad thickness so they wear out quick) These are going to be the pads I run from now on. One finger braking really is no problem with them.

So with the motor and brakes sorted, it was time of another quick stop to do one last check before heading onto one of the local "fun" roads....

Attachment 8787

Attachment 8788

I had every intention of taking some more pics of this ride but it was on of those rides where after you hit the first corner, you just don't want to stop. When I had the stock suspension re-worked and added the fork brace, I thought it was working pretty good and it did feel like a whole new bike. So I went into this thinking I would get an improvement but it wouldn't be as drastic as the first suspension re-work. I couldn't have been more wrong. Once again, this is a whole different bike.

Even with a base line setting, every bad trait the bike had is gone. I had the old stuff set up pretty aggressive with the forks pulled up 10mm and a .25" (or 6.3mm) spacer over the rear shock. I did really like how the bike handled with this set up. With the 954 lower triple I ended up with the same geometry as before. With the old set up, the steering quickness of the set up helped overcome the massive flex and slop. With the new set up the bike turns a bit too quick. This will be corrected this week as my SP1 lower clamp is on the way ( I guess it's already time for version 2.1....lol) Which will allow me to drop the forks 10mm to pick up some more ground clearance. The plan was to get the geometry back by raising the rear some more but that might not be necessary.

Not to make any claims of this being the best handling bike in the world but it sure is nice. It goes exactly where you point it with no issues. Did a few things that would make the old stuff protest and want to run wide, no issues or fuss at all. Basically the suspension was laughing at me with an "Is that all you got" attitude.....

It has gone from a bike that could be taken to it's limits in some situations to one that makes me wonder if i will ever be good enough to find some of it's limits....

It's going to be a fun summer.....
Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

What is your new brake setup?
Old 04-02-2010, 11:12 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Congrats Mike Glad to see it was as good (and even better) than you had hoped for.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
Congrats!

What is your new brake setup?
Sorry brain fade while posting. The new set up is SP2 master and calipers w\ Vesrah RJL pads and CBR1000 rotors
Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM
MotoGP

Swap that SP2 master for a radial from a CBR (mine came from a 2006 ZX-6R) and be prepared for another leap forward. Been there done that.....
Old 04-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
Swap that SP2 master for a radial from a CBR (mine came from a 2006 ZX-6R) and be prepared for another leap forward. Been there done that.....
Well i need to get the new lower triple in and get the bars 10mm lower then see how much room I have before I can plan out that step..... R1s come with a nice Brembo radial pump also.....
Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM
MotoGP

Yes, I looked at that whe looking to put a radial on mine, the Brembo MC on the Yams is a 16 mm piston size. Not knowing the leverage ratio, it's a crapshoot but it does work on the six-piston calipers used on the latest R1, however. In theory, all other things being equal, a small piston will generate more line pressure at the cost of greater travel (although the great equalizer is, again, the leverage ratio)
Old 04-02-2010, 06:23 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Happy days!!!!!!!