General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lost both ends on ice

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Lost both ends on ice

Wow, interesting ride home.

26* but dry all day, riding at 1:10am from Brooklyn to Queens. The whole BQE is pretty much a potholed missile testing site so I tend to pretty cautious. Kinda high volume traffic.

Took my under construction exit which is an off camber right hander with different pavents separated by steel expansion joints.

I usually know to expect wetness if it was an above freezing day, it seeps onto the road.

All day has been under freezing so I didn't even think to look for it. Problem is that it was a huge wet spot that was completely sheer ice. Not a good thing to discover.

I did all the things you are supposed to, no sudden inputs, steady throttle, etc. Even still it was not level road so I could feel the ends swap. All I could do was wait & just keep riding. (hoping the bike wasn't too sideways when I hit dry road).

So after a small eternity and half a lane width of sliding I got dryer pavement and gathered it.

It wasn't the crashing that concerned me so much as it was a blind corner and there was a lot of traffic. Most drivers probly not sober.

Anyway, hand of God moment since at 26* the tires are pretty much bowling ball hard.

Sure glad its warming up this weekend.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 03-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:32 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
That's it! I'm starting a fund raiser to buy you a street legal dirt bike with studded tires for those days when there is any chance of ice, snow, slush, and or freezing rain.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 AM
Frozen & Awaiting Summer
Squid

SuperSprint is on a distinguished road
Yikes! That's a pretty terrifying experience. I would agree - definitely a hand of God moment.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

I have been wanting to run my gopro on my commute to & from work just give an idea of the "missile testing" conditions of the BQE but I am pretty sure it would get me jailed if it got out.

The point is, it really is the safest way between 2 points. It just doesn't look it to the untrained eye. Oh an I wear out horns pretty quickly.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Good riding, great save and I'm with Pidge on this one!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:54 PM
MotoGP

mikstr really?

Don't you ride a VTR too?

You sure you want to put that karma out there?

Maybe your having a quick superman complex, but are you imagining that you wont be the next rider to come around a dark corner to an unexpected road surface?

Keep riding and best of luck. This stuff happens to everyone eventually.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Ok Ok no dirt bike, new fund raiser will be for life insurance!!!!! Sheiiishhh
Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Deleted my messages. carry on Darwin...... Why not take up drinking beforehand (min. 6 drinks) and ditch the helmet to make it REAL interesting.... screw the half-measures!

Last edited by mikstr; 02-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:51 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Slicks roads can happen even when you don't expect them. I was riding on an 80 degree dry day when I went onto a curving on-ramp that was somehow extremely slick (no oil, no water, just the whole thing was slick). Ended up going into a two-wheel drift around the corner until I finally got traction past the apex of the turn. Luckily for me I was on my SM610, so it was a fairly comfortable experience.
**** happens.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:15 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
I had a similar moment recently... it was a cold and clear day with dry roads and I had the urge to ride , having been cooped up for awhile with poor winter road conditions. All was well until I went into a fairly sharp blind sweeper and found the second half of the turn to be fully shaded and quite clearly covered with frost. Luckily the shade (and frost) started a few feet beyond the apex , so my dirt bike training kicked in and I got on the gas a little and weighed the peg a bunch right about the time I felt both tires lose traction. I wish I had a video of that Superhawk drifting sideways across that entire lane before I managed to get it pointed straight again...somebody who didn't know me well might actually think I was a pretty hot-shot rider, lol .

You know what they say....if it doesn't kill you , it makes you stronger.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

No, no, guys see according to mikstr, motorcycle riding is WAY too dangerous, you guys should stay home and take up golf or clothing design or something.

All I have to say is what any biker would mikstr, just because you aren't brave enough to do it, don't be a hater to those who are.

I have around 400k miles of year round NYC riding and 18 years of full time road racing on 6 different tracks. (thousands of race hours).

Why are you on a motorcycle forum if your scared of riding?????????

Oh and Darwin was way way off. He thought the cell was a solid building block and admitted his theory was bunk unless huge numbers of different new fossils were found to support him (they were not).

I did not evolve from a rock, I was fearfully and wonderfully made. (Psalm 149:14)

Like I said it was a hand of God save. I have a great many of them.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Guy's, it doe's not matter what you worship, God, Sun, what have you, or don't, this forum is not based on anyone's personal believes, so let's not make this a mockery, we are all here for the same reason while we are all unique in our ways, isn't that what makes this place so great?
Lets keep this civilized, be positive and tune up to what we are here for.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:45 AM
MotoGP

Yes, NHSH, I agree.

I am guilty of being offended by a supposed fellow biker who had the guile to wish my death and wish it on my wife and son.

That hits kinda close to home and really should be addressed by mods on this forum.

This forum is based on an inherently dangerous activity and I cant see any room for hoping someone loses their life while engaging in this activity.

Like I mentioned you reap what you sow so I am not the force that doles out that payback.

I was merely sharing a biking experience that I truly believe could benefit other riders.

If that is not what this forum is about, then please someone clarify what other reason it exists.

I am a nice guy up to a point, then basic human emotions take over like anyone.

A couple decades in the NYC nightclub business has you in a certain mindset. There is always trash at the front door starting nonsense. This is not all that different.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Nuff said, move on.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:58 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Back on subject: nice save man. Where I live the roads stay dry for long periods of time. The first rains draw up the natural oils in the road making them slick as hell at any given point. Even worse on freshly restored roads.

Butt hole pucker factor of 1000. So I can imagine what you went through. Kuddos for proper non fair weather riding.

The pot holes there sound the same as the ones here. If there isn't one then you need to leave the parking lot lol.

Last edited by Meier Link; 03-02-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

Man I optimistically thought that was the last freezing weather this year but its back in the 20s.

Had the fun of spotting a Harley rider broken down on a 23* day a month or so back. Pulled over and tried to get his bike going but a battery terminal was melted so no way was it going anywhere. I carry a lithium battery under my seat so tried that but I couldn't start the bike.

I had to ride home while he waited there, get tools and come back. Put on the lithium and jumped the bike to get him home. Told him to just bring the battery back when he could.

It was crazy since he was in a spot where you really couldn't even walk to safety without crossing major highway and scaling walls.

Pretty surprised any one else was riding but did see a few bikes out.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Keepin' the faith!
Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

I gladly assume my errors but refuse to accept others' false accusations so, to set the record straight, I never wished anyone ill will or bad luck (contrary to what was attributed to me; literacy not being some people's forte it would seem). I only stated that one's ill-chosen actions can (and often do) lead to unfortunate outcomes. No input is needed from my end, the Law of Averages will doll out the punishment....

thank you
Old 03-06-2016, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

Yes. Truth is important. The truth is that you (mikstr) told me to get a life insurance policy for when I get killed doing that crazy thing we all do which is ride a motorcycle.

You even went to the extra measure of mentioning my wife and baby son specifically.

If you want to maintain any credibility at all on this, (a motorcycling forum) you may want to just let it rest.

Everyone looses their nerve to ride, looks like you have far past that point.

Posting up cowardly crap like that then trying to save your dignity by lying about what you posted makes it even more pathetic.

Look at the big picture. I posted about a riding incident and you said things on a forum that you 100% would never had said to my face. (I promise) Pure cowardice.

Just stop posting on this thread. The law of averages is something that every biker on this forum knows about.

Unless you want to formally apologize for saying that riding a motorcycle would cause my wife to be a widow and my son to lose his father, (which is the honest truth of what you wrote then deleted). Then really, you've nothing more to add.

I am proud of my heroic save and hope all of you guys go on improving your riding skills and upping the odds that you beat the totally fake law of averages.

If it existed then my 28yrs of NYC street riding (+12yrs in dirt) would not be still running, but thank God it still is.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

And now for the anti-revisionist version:

"Yes. Truth is important. The truth is that you (mikstr) told me to get a life insurance policy for when I get killed doing that crazy thing we all do which is ride a motorcycle. " I never commented on simply riding a motorcycle, I commented on riding IN THE WINTER AND ON ICE..... most can see the (anything but subtle) difference

"You even went to the extra measure of mentioning my wife and baby son specifically." yes, because as a father, you are responsible for more than just yourself now, something you clearly do not comprehend via your actions

"If you want to maintain any credibility at all on this, (a motorcycling forum) you may want to just let it rest." I hardly need your seal of approval for credibility. I am not the one boasting about riding on icy public roads....

"Everyone looses their nerve to ride, looks like you have far past that point." I have been riding for over 35 years and have no lessons to learn from you sir.

"Posting up cowardly crap like that then trying to save your dignity by lying about what you posted makes it even more pathetic. " The pathetic part is you attempting to twist my words in an attempt to portray yourself as a victim. You chose to post your ridiculous actions on a public forum, assume the consequences.

"Look at the big picture. I posted about a riding incident and you said things on a forum that you 100% would never had said to my face. (I promise) Pure cowardice." What you posted is NOT about a riding incident, it's about a reckless riding incident, learn the difference! Don't want to hear feedback, don't post it. Blame yourself for foolishly expecting everyone to tag you a hero for your ill-conceived actions.

"Just stop posting on this thread. The law of averages is something that every biker on this forum knows about." Your choices make it obvious you are ignorant of it.

"Unless you want to formally apologize for saying that riding a motorcycle would cause my wife to be a widow and my son to lose his father, (which is the honest truth of what you wrote then deleted). Then really, you've nothing more to add." I have nothing to apologize for. You posted what I consider to be foolish, unnecessary and irresponsible actions (especially for a husband and father) and I commented. Can't handle the heat, don't come to the kitchen.

"I am proud of my heroic save and hope all of you guys go on improving your riding skills and upping the odds that you beat the totally fake law of averages." Improving skills for riding conditions motorcycles were designed for, absolutely, 100%!!!!! Riding skills for a street motorcycle (unstudded tires) on icy public roads, learn that your best skill is to park it in the garage.

"If it existed then my 28yrs of NYC street riding (+12yrs in dirt) would not be still running, but thank God it still is." Sadly, when it does catch up, you won't be around to admit it exists. Science and statistics are real, whether you choose to believe them or not (your comments and overt references to God lead me to believe you are a disciple of Creationism...).

I truly hope you will come to your senses and leave the bike in the garage when winter comes knocking, but your replies clearly indicate you have no intention of doing so, your reason having fallen victim to your pride (which, as your Bible clearly states, is a sin)... Good luck is the best I can do.

P.S. I came back to this freak show of a thread further to a PM I received from a fellow member, but see it's a dead end. I will follow the wisdom of the dearly departed George Carlin: "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

'Nuff said... Carry on Ice Rider...

Last edited by mikstr; 03-06-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

Shall I close it now that we've all said our peace?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:29 PM
MotoGP

sorry mate, I am done here. I don't appreciate people twisting my words, and figured I had a right to reply to my accuser.....
Old 03-06-2016, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

No twisting, those are your words and you character.

I just spent a year and a half as a full time stay at home father to my newborn child.

If you are pathetic enough to tell me I should take our life insurance for when I die and leave him fatherless, what twisting of words is there?

You are really a low life and continue to prove it by posting on my thread.

Whats wrong? No wife and child? No one loves you? You are afraid to ride but come on this forum to be a taunting little punk?

Wow, good job on that. No honor or self respect of any kind.

You want to say anything else about my wife or child? You are cowardly and pathetic.

Sorry to everyone on the forum but guys, think really clearly what you would feel if someone came on your thread and made comments about your wife or baby.

(oh and then spinelessly tried to deny it)

Really pee wee, stay off my thread. You have shown your true self.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 PM
MotoGP

Really needed to go this far?