General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

engine ice

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Squid

toeknee19 is on a distinguished road
Question engine ice

ive heard only good things about engine ice and from what i read, makes your motorcycle run much cooler than stock coolant. My question, other than cost, has anybody heard any negitive reviews before i drop 60$ ? Seems to me xtra $30 rather than stock honda coolant is worth it
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I've used water wetter with nothing but positive results, usually 20-25 degrees cooler.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:16 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I always ran Pestone coolant in everything I own. I got a wild hair up my *** one day and decided to try Engine Ice for a while in the SuperHawk. It may have possibly ran just a touch cooler on average. But with various internal engine mods going on I got sick of trying to catch and reuse the expensive coolant all the time. I did that like twice then started to get worried about contamination. I have now gone to just water and Water Wetter with similar results. I have gone to track only with the bike and have a heated place to store it so freezing isn't a concern. The anti-freeze property of Engine Ice is probably it's only advantage over water.

Also, I don't know why everyone is so worried about engine temp anyway. Cooler does not mean more power. If the fan come on, does it's job and cools the bike down, and the cycle continues, what's the problem? That is what the system is designed to do! Lots of people around here have auxiliary fan switches installed and other unnecessary mods. I don't get it. If it's not boiling, don't worry about it.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I thought one of the properties of glycol coolant was to serve as a water pump seal lubricant.

I recently did a full coolant change to Honda 50/50 and saw some contamination in the old stuff from the P.O. So I ran the engine up to full temp with distilled water to flush the system. Afterward I noticed a few drops of water at the pump seep tube on the front. But once the Honda 50/50 was in the seep tube remains dry after every running.

I agree with the last poster: if my fan keeps my temp in the spec'd range, what do I win if my engine runs a few degrees cooler? (at the possible risk of a premature pump seal failure)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:14 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
your engine wont run at peak performance until its at optimal operating temperature as specified by the manufacturer.

hence the design of the engine ie. bearing clearances and oil viscosity etc..

if its not running over temp or boiling or you live in a climate that is not ideal constantly below freezing or over 100f dont mess with the cooling system and use whatever cooling media that helps you sleep better at night
Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Squid

cool, thanks for the input, ill run honda coolant. mboe doesnt engine ice absorb the contamination just like any other coolant?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:38 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
The contamination I was worried about was from draining and reusing it. After a couple times of doing thay I was no longer confident that it hadn't picked up crud or some kind of foreign material that I wouldn't want in my cooling system.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have been messing with this for a while. I run waterwetter in all my racebikes but really thats no comparison cuz they are going 100mph all the time. NYC traffic is way more of a test. My concern with wetter is the corrosion potential in the motor.

I have tried purple ice (surfactant like wetter) but the VERY best stuff is evanscooling npg+ NPG+ » Engine Cooling Systems

No water at all in it and last forever (they will even check it for free). BUT it is expensive.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I was given some "engine ice" and tried it out.....and noticed no difference what so ever. So switched back to "standard" coolant at the next service and still no change in operating temp but as always YMMV.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I was given some "engine ice" and tried it out.....and noticed no difference what so ever. So switched back to "standard" coolant at the next service and still no change in operating temp but as always YMMV.
Funny, just had a discussion about this last night with couple friends that thinking on using "engine ice" on their bikes.
My take on this is that the temperature still goes up to same level, not really cooler, it just takes a bit longer to get there, I think it is money down the drain an waist of time, especially if you need to change it back every winter.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Squid

yes, thanks for the input. I ended up using the honda 50/50 @ $8/ bottle x3 cheaper and does the same thing.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
No real difference

I've used water wetter in a few bikes (some tracks org recommend it) and can honestly say I've noticed no real difference in temps. Only reason I starting using it was when I was racing. Regular anti-freeze is not a good mix on a race track.