General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Looking at a VTR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Squid

Wrenchin is on a distinguished road
Looking at a VTR1000F

Hello all,

I have been looking at the local craigslist for quite some time. I really wanted a WR450, but they don't come around that often and end up being wicked expensive (4500 for a haggard one!). I'd like to supermoto convert it anyways and would be in for about 6k total with street rims and tires. Well if I'm going to spend that much I may as well get a street bike and forget the dirt riding (which I probably won't do often enough to justify expenses). The 600s are also quite expensive, and I only have 40 big ones in the motorcycle fund.

In comes this bike, a $2000 2002 Honda "VTF"1000F nearing 60k on the clock. It is listed by a dealership. I called them and they said it's a running and riding bike that they had just taken in on trade. They explained that they have not inspected it or done any work to it, and they're selling it as is with no warranty. They also said that I'd have to bring a trailer to pick it up. When asked why, he told me it's because they have not inspected it, and don't want any liability if the tires are dry rotted. That worried me at first, but he explained that the bike was ridden to the dealership so I guess I can't complain.

I have a lot of experience working on older Japanese cars and trucks, but absolutely no motorcycle experience whatsoever. I've rebuilt all types of 2bbl carburetors, so I'm sure I could do some motorcycle carbs too. She's got some miles on her so I wouldn't be surprised if something craps out in the first week. I also think I'd be able to fix it.

It's about 1k under the KBB for this model, but I found a redone 98 with a full Mario Nava kit sell for ~3500, so who knows. It seems like a good deal, but you don't often find dealerships making deals where they lose.

Whaddya think? I expect the bike to be gone before I get much feedback, but that's OK

Old 05-09-2020, 07:08 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Hard to tell by the photos what condition the bike is in beyond the 60k miles. Is the tank dented? Check for loose steering head bearings. See if it has manual cam chain adjusters. Is there coolant stains on the front side of the right engine case? How beat up is the rear sprocket/chain? Is there two factory keys? I'm sure other members will chime in with other points to look at.
I would attempt to negotiate to some where between $1500 and $1700. Right off you'll need ~$350 worth of tires. If the routine maintenance hasn't been done you'll be looking at that as well for reliability sake.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:17 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
Hard to tell by the photos what condition the bike is in beyond the 60k miles. Is the tank dented? Check for loose steering head bearings. See if it has manual cam chain adjusters. Is there coolant stains on the front side of the right engine case? How beat up is the rear sprocket/chain? Is there two factory keys? I'm sure other members will chime in with other points to look at.
I would attempt to negotiate to some where between $1500 and $1700. Right off you'll need ~$350 worth of tires. If the routine maintenance hasn't been done you'll be looking at that as well for reliability sake.

All great info, thanks. Didn't even think about the ignition key situation. I have also read that the charging system can be a weak link on these bikes. While on the phone, the guy said he took a look at it and the plastics have had some bodywork done to them. I'm not sure what that means, as I didn't think bondo was very common on motorcycles, but he advised me to get new plastics. The only issue I'm faced with is that I believe the price is firm. He told me if they can't sell it, they're just going to send it to auction. He also said there's a couple people looking at it. While normally I don't fall for that kind of stuff, I'm inclined to believe it because it's a cheap motorcycle on craigslist
Old 05-09-2020, 09:17 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
As motorcycles go it's not a lot but as Superhawks go you can do much better. I paid $2100 for a mint ready to go '99 with some extras with 9k miles. I paid $800 for a 6k mile '99 out of a storage unit that needed a detailing, service, and new pads and tires. I paid $1000 for a very clean '98 than needed a wash and the carbs cleaned... I paid $1,000 for a 21k mile dropped '99 with extras that needed some cosmetics but otherwise ran perfect. I paid $300 for a 20ish k mile '98 with a full Yosh exhaust (that alone is worth more than I paid for the bike) with light rash on each side and what was thought to be a blown engine (turned out to be a burned R/R). I'm sure you get the point. You can buy a decent mile mint Superhawk with extras for under $3k.

Last edited by captainchaos; 05-09-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:31 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...00-sale-35545/

If you look and are a little patient you can do better, they're around. I mean that's a pretty nice bike with one one lightly damaged fairing and needing some cheap maintenance for only $1,900 asking price.

Last edited by captainchaos; 05-09-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:44 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Yes, there are probably better deals floating around on message boards and such. Sadly, I live in the Southwest (Tucson, AZ area) so we get pretty hosed on vehicle pricing. There's also not really an out-of-season time to buy motorcycles either. Might sound like a BS story, but 2000 doesn't get you a lot when buying a vehicle out here. Here's the local craigslist when setting the max price to 2000 and sorting from greatest to least. And that Vstar is some scammer dude selling out of Las Vegas but listing bikes all across the US

Name:  11dI4FJ.png
Views: 80
Size:  2.00 MB

Last edited by Wrenchin; 05-09-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:08 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I understand. Also consider the possibility that for say $3k you can get a bike that's nicer (and will be worth more) than what you could make that Superhawk if you put another grand into it.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...112365009.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...121479907.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...110848097.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/m...106381691.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...109691559.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/m...112517072.html

https://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/d/...121009686.html
Old 05-09-2020, 10:12 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

That's not some full list or anything I literally looked for like 5 minutes and I'm sure most of those prices are negotiate with cash in hand. I'm sure you could find plenty more within a couple hours driving time.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:33 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
I understand. Also consider the possibility that for say $3k you can get a bike that's nicer (and will be worth more) than what you could make that Superhawk if you put another grand into it.
Yes, there's always that one more grand that I could spend...then another

Unfortunately with the dualsport idea, I have to look at my needs versus my wants. I'm getting a motorcycle because I'm looking at a 40 miles of freeway commuting round trip for 4 days a week. As much as I'd love to rip around the wilderness we have out here, I'd be stupid to commute that distance on a dual sport. So now I'm looking at 600cc bikes and finding they're about 3500 for something that isn't beat to hell or blown apart in someone's garage. They also come with the bonus of wicked insurance pricing.

The Superhawk intrigues me because it has a similar performance (on paper) to a 600cc crotch rocket, but it's a "sport touring" bike according to my insurance estimates. For that reason, I'd like to avoid the supersport class of bikes
Old 05-10-2020, 07:20 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wrenchin
Yes, there's always that one more grand that I could spend...then another

Unfortunately with the dualsport idea, I have to look at my needs versus my wants. I'm getting a motorcycle because I'm looking at a 40 miles of freeway commuting round trip for 4 days a week. As much as I'd love to rip around the wilderness we have out here, I'd be stupid to commute that distance on a dual sport. So now I'm looking at 600cc bikes and finding they're about 3500 for something that isn't beat to hell or blown apart in someone's garage. They also come with the bonus of wicked insurance pricing.

The Superhawk intrigues me because it has a similar performance (on paper) to a 600cc crotch rocket, but it's a "sport touring" bike according to my insurance estimates. For that reason, I'd like to avoid the supersport class of bikes
Of course. The supersports are all most often going to be beat to hell and everyone always wants an arm and a leg for them whether they're nice or not. The bang for your buck from a Superhawk, an FZ1, a Bandit, an SV650/1000, etc is where it's at. And I'm not saying spend another thousand, and another. There's a bit more of a sweet spot and there are lots of really nice bikes (at least in my experience over the years) at the $3k range where you don't need to spend $4k or $5k. One of the nicest bikes I've ever owned was an '01 FZ1. I bought it years ago (when it should've cost even more) in absolute showroom condition, only 3k miles, with at least a grand in extras on it, garage kept, on carpet, under a cover, for $3100. Anyhow good luck. Those deals don't pop up every day but if you're patient and spread out within a few hours drive they do pop up.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:56 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
I've got a mint Triumph Speed 4 (again) that I'll sell you for 2k. 1/3 the milage and in much better shape!

AV
Old 05-10-2020, 04:39 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by ACE VenTRa
I've got a mint Triumph Speed 4 (again) that I'll sell you for 2k. 1/3 the milage and in much better shape!

AV

I'm not big on nakeds or non-Japanese bikes but I'd buy that if you weren't in New England

Maybe I should look for a shipped bike out of the North East, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a bike totally sight unseen. And one that's been inspected and has a warranty is going to be big money most likely.

EDIT: That R1 is a really nice bike (last link captainchaos posted) for 3k. It's been sitting for 14 years but I don't think it would be too much work to clean the carbs and replace fuel lines/water hoses. It's only 10 more dollars a month on insurance according to the progressive website. Hilariously, I plugged in a 2021 R1...I don't think I have 11,000 dollars to spend on insurance every year. Bare essentials is about 700 a year, insure the bike and it shoots up to 10,700!

I won't lie, I was looking at it before. I just don't know how I feel owning a 4 cylinder liter bike. Everyone makes it out to be a death sentence. The main thing I'm worried about is my uphill dirt driveway. I don't think I'd feel too bad dumping that Honda on dirt, but that clean one owner R1 would be a crime.

Last edited by Wrenchin; 05-10-2020 at 11:05 PM.