General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Looking to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Squid
Squid

Jarvis is on a distinguished road
Looking to Buy

Long story short, I use to ride alot when I was younger and even raced in a few enduros. Then I got married and when my daughter was born I sold all the toys and vowed not to ride until she was out of High School.

After years of doing the single parent thing and getting her through HS, I broke down and picked up a 2009 DL650 V-Strom. Love the bike - sort of a jack of all trades. After 10,000 miles I feel the need for something a little 'sportier' for when I hit the north GA, NC, and TN mountains.

After doing a little bit of cyphering, I think a Superhawk would be what I am looking for. Love that 90 degree V-Twin power and torque, plus the riding position doesn't seem to be as extreme as on an R1.

Any recommendations on what years and things to look out for when I go to buy?

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
If you can find one with the upgraded regulator/rectifier, manual cam chain tensioners, suspension upgrades (fork springs, gold valves, rear shock), those are the weak points of the bike and probably things that you will want to change.
Brakes are another mod that alot of people do (calipers and master cylinder from compatible bikes)...I just did stainless lines, and upgraded to better pads. That made enough of a difference for my riding style.
Otherwise, the bike is very fun to ride and shouldn't give you any real problems.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
See, I would think the DL would be just about perfect for the GA, NC, TN area.

But the SH is very cool. It's a bigger, more powerful bike. Everything is upgradable: calipers from the F4, RC51 and some GSXRs are near bolt on; people generally upgrade the front end to RC51 or CRR1000RR equipment, but it's basically a CBR F3 front end; the shock upgrade is a F4 retrofitted; and people have fitted CBR900RR, RC51 and VFR swingarms. The bar position is surprisingly low and radical so people fit VFR clip ons or superbars on. Some people strip the bodywork and either leave the side rads hanging in the breeze or relocate a larger VTX – I think – radiator under the seat. Only three people have done this well and one of them is selling his bike.

Basically, if you buy it low, sink 3k into it, you will have a very sharp bike, but you had better love it because resale sucks.

Stock weight is around 480 lbs. (I think your DL is 460 or so.) It has a light front end, so it lifts the tire easily. The seat is ok, but people complain that it’s too soft.

superh1998 is dead right about the CCT and Reg / Rec. Both are pretty easy to fit ahead of time, but a CCT failure means your bike is a giant paperweight.

CR
Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Oh, all years are basically the same in the US, but the '98 is unquestionably the best. I think the 2002 had better clocks, but who uses clocks anyhow?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 AM
Squid

NH-Archer is on a distinguished road
I joined this forum and got answers that were very helpful. I knew I wanted a SH, just didn't know what to expect. My bike had an 8 year long electrical problem (regulator) that the PO didn't have a clue about. Because of this forum, I'm stylin'!!! Good luck!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by Crashrat
See, I would think the DL would be just about perfect for the GA, NC, TN area.

But the SH is very cool. It's a bigger, more powerful bike.
CR
The DL does very nicely in the mountains of GA, NC, and TN especially when loaded up for an overnight stay. It is a great all around bike.

But you hit the nail on the head.. the SH is very cool and something that I may like to take out for a day ride up in that direction but not too much more than that. I have a 3200 mile trip from Atlanta up to Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota coming up in August. That has DL written all over it. But riding to work and a weekend ride to Alabama would be my SH territory.

I have found a few SH in the Atlanta area but from what I see on the bikes listed on the forum, they seem to be over priced. Either that or everyone here likes one another.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
haha yep here we let our bikes go for cheap. because we know someone else here will appreciate and enjoy these things. i was thinking of upgrading myself but I just did some work to my bike and am more than happy, until I swap for an i-4.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Squid

yamahadm250 is on a distinguished road
i have my 99 superhawk forsale.i`m in charleston sc if you might be interested.its listed on charleston sc craigslist.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jarvis
The DL does very nicely in the mountains of GA, NC, and TN especially when loaded up for an overnight stay. It is a great all around bike.

But you hit the nail on the head.. the SH is very cool and something that I may like to take out for a day ride up in that direction but not too much more than that. I have a 3200 mile trip from Atlanta up to Michigan/Wisconsin/Minnesota coming up in August. That has DL written all over it. But riding to work and a weekend ride to Alabama would be my SH territory.

I have found a few SH in the Atlanta area but from what I see on the bikes listed on the forum, they seem to be over priced. Either that or everyone here likes one another.

With a couple simple comfort mods the Superhawk would be very capable of doing a 3200 mile ride. I have modded my seat, put buell drop pegs on and also done the superbike bar mod and I can tour on my bike all day and not get the slightest bit sore. I have never ridden a strom but it is on my list of next bikes and they do look like comfortable touring bikes so the obvious choice would be the strom but the hawk would be capable of doing it.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by yamahadm250
i have my 99 superhawk forsale.i`m in charleston sc if you might be interested.its listed on charleston sc craigslist.
Just PM'd you. Yes I would be interested.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
If you look you can find SH's in great shape for next to nothing. I looked long and hard and could not find a faster bike(without a salvage title) for the price I paid for mine. Also SH riders tend to be a little older and more careful with the bikes than the dedicated sportbikes so they tend to be in better shape. I think if you get one you will be very happy.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Squid

yamahadm250 is on a distinguished road
i sent you a reply.let me know if you are interested.