General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

LED replacement headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
With everything looking equal, the only thing we couldn't see was inside the drivers. I would guess that's where the difference lies. Only way to find out is to buy the LED kit at the start of the thread.

Not it!
Actually, since the problem was the reach, I'd say the real difference would have to be the placement of the LED's inside the reflector... And judging that by images alone would be impossible, you'd need to measure it to tell the difference...
Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Cool - I might get one as well. I really don't want to spend the $ or modify like crazy for the HID.
Actually, you don't have to modify like crazy... You don't have too modify very much even...

As far as wiring, it's plug and play in how you connect it, all you need to do is find a place to mount/hold the ballast... Inside the side of the fairing is a nice place...

And in terms of "modification", all you do is open up the headlight, and stick the projector through the stock hole in the reflector, and tighten a nut on the back... Then seal it back up... THAT'S IT!

Yes, you can add halo's, shrouds and whatever to make it fancy... But it's not needed... And you don't need to modify, change, cut, file or whatever... You just slide the projector in place, tighten, and check alignment...
Old 02-16-2014, 05:04 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
Actually, you don't have to modify like crazy... You don't have too modify very much even...

As far as wiring, it's plug and play in how you connect it, all you need to do is find a place to mount/hold the ballast... Inside the side of the fairing is a nice place...

And in terms of "modification", all you do is open up the headlight, and stick the projector through the stock hole in the reflector, and tighten a nut on the back... Then seal it back up... THAT'S IT!

Yes, you can add halo's, shrouds and whatever to make it fancy... But it's not needed... And you don't need to modify, change, cut, file or whatever... You just slide the projector in place, tighten, and check alignment...
Tweety - Ur talking about HIDs, si?
Old 02-16-2014, 05:47 AM
MotoGP

Tweety - Ur talking about HIDs, si?
Correct... It costs a bit, yes... But it isn't half as hard as you think to do... And you really, really can't beat the result in terms of performance...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-16-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Correct... It costs a bit, yes... But it isn't half as hard as you think to do... And you really, really can't beat the result in terms of performance...
Giddyup

I think I'll start to research it and hopefully get it sorted by time the 2' of snow melts here.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:57 PM
SuperSport

OK - I'm going to try an LED from here

3000 Lumen H4, H6 LED Headlight bulb

I saw the guy on ADV and he was offering a 20% discount and 18 warranty.

So for $58. shipped - I'll give it a go.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Very little difference in the light penetration distance between high and low beams in the pics on their website. Hope that's just the pics and your actual experience is better.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Well I'll bring up my thoughts again, seeing as Marquez's results show that as far as light output, the LED's have a ways to go (although bulb life certainly seems nice).

Halogen bulbs disperse a specific pattern. LED's have a series of light output patterns, as well as HID's. All of them different. So trying to make one "match" the other because you conveniently have a housing for one type is like trying to cut your steak with a spoon. Sure, it can be done; you could sharpened spoon well and it may even work better and last longer than a plastic dinner knife. But in the end, to get the maximum efficiency and effectiveness, you should use a knife for your steak and a spoon for your ice cream.

All purpose designed aftermarket LED's at this point usually come in something like this:

With individual reflectors per bulb and a nice big heat sink on the back. Some have one diode, some have four, and some have rows and rows of glorious lumens. Nothing really has been designed for DOT road use as far as I know, unless you buy a housing to go with, such as this:
Vision X 7" x 6" Sealed Beam Replacement Headlight Housings

But they don't look anything like a halogen or HID housing (you'll notice they're designed for one forward facing bright diode and not the sideways facing halogen matching "bulbs" that come in the LED kits) Which seems to me that making one try to fit another is sacrificing their potential.

I'm not even saying I wouldn't get the LED kit bulbs as Marquez said... if they even last twice as long it'll be worth it, and the light certainly isn't worse than a standard bulb. But I shall keep up my rant until I am sufficiently out typed by someone who is a pro and not just speculating.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I'll see your rant and raise you a spife. Or is it a knoon?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Do I detect some high stakes bickering? lol
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

High stakes,... lowbrow,... whatever it takes.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
NNJ, report your findings but I still dont see the upside. In my experience, leds dont last longer.

I know they are rated as such but I just dont think the tech is sound/proven. Especially when they are asked to fit where a halogen is supposed to be.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I'll see your rant and raise you a spife. Or is it a knoon?
Sharpening one right now; just gotta find some steak ice cream for testing. You can have your knoon, I'll use the correct side and make a proper spife like a true enthusiast.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:41 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
High stakes,... lowbrow,... whatever it takes.
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Sharpening one right now; just gotta find some steak ice cream for testing. You can have your knoon, I'll use the correct side and make a proper spife like a true enthusiast.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Mmmmm...steak ice cream.

I knew you'd know the proper terminilogy, 7. Hell, I bet you have a spife holster on the backside of that headlight housing. Would that be a holster or a sheath or a drawer?

Oh, BTW, 7, how are you going to mount that gigantic LED light bar? Are you going to use unistrut, a 2x4 or what?

Last edited by VTR1000F; 02-20-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Legitimate question.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 AM
MotoGP

I hadn't thought far enough to how I was going to mount it. I just wanted as many rows of lights as I could buy because, you know, someone decided it was important enough to make. I'll just end up swinging it around like a broadsword or use it to joust with other riders.

And where I store my utensils is my own business, but could you imagine the resale value of a Superhawk with a custom spife drawer build in?! I hope Honda research engineers read these forums with a keen eye.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
And where I store my utensils is my own business, but could you imagine the resale value of a Superhawk with a custom spife drawer build in?! I hope Honda research engineers read these forums with a keen eye.
Shouldn't be to difficult to make. Or better yet, just steel the glove compartment off a Suzuki 900rf, and install it on the Hawk.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I just trademarked "custom spife drawer". If anyone posts that again, you owe me a dollar. PM me for my PayPal info.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:32 AM
SuperSport

I'm not even saying I wouldn't get the LED kit bulbs as Marquez said... if they even last twice as long it'll be worth it, and the light certainly isn't worse than a standard bulb. But I shall keep up my rant until I am sufficiently out typed by someone who is a pro and not just speculating.

Now - I'm no lighting expert, but I'm thinking I'll get better lighting = brighter than a stock 55/65 watt H4 bulb, which is about 900 lumens, with this LED, which is rated 2000 to 3000 lumens.

I understand about the reflector - but I hope to have the bulb in my large hands within 3 weeks. I will get my Asian female neighbor (with the large Winter bush & small hands) to change the bulb. I will do before & after pics from my garage, one with the door closed to see light pattern & the other open to view the distance.

Plus think of the power draw(er)? I will be saving. I think about 35 watts savings on low beam. I have lots of power accessories if all are working at the same time > heated grips, Gerbings heated jkt & if I'm charging my celly.

Yes I have a VTR Sport tourer

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 02-22-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Make sure you get your neighbor to shave that bush before the pictures.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:52 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Make sure you get your neighbor to shave that bush before the pictures.
LMAO

Remember, before & after pics!
Old 11-02-2014, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
OK - I'm going to try an LED from here

3000 Lumen H4, H6 LED Headlight bulb

I saw the guy on ADV and he was offering a 20% discount and 18 warranty.

So for $58. shipped - I'll give it a go.
Came across this same light during a search. Did you get one? If so how has it worked out?
These are the dimensions they sent me. LED replacement headlight-m3c.jpg
Also found this 6000K Motorcycle HXP 30W LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit Fit Most Motorbike | eBay
Looks very much the same, but with some differences. Stated lumen output, color temp and the projection on the back of the fan housing is not drawn in but appears to be there in the photo. Not really sure. LED replacement headlight-dsc_1862.jpg
Wonder if it's a lower spec/second shift light out of the same factory
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So did anyone ever try and report on these? I gotta figure if the experiment failed we would not hear about it since I am the only one dumb enough to announce when he fails.

I would be interested but it doesnt look like that big fan would fit on our bike. I guess there is no need for the stock plug behind it so maybe it fits.

The reflector shape is the other concern. I would ginea pig but am engrossed in other mech projects right now.

Xeris did you try one yet? Come on just order it, you know you want to.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So did anyone ever try and report on these? I gotta figure if the experiment failed we would not hear about it since I am the only one dumb enough to announce when he fails.

I would be interested but it doesnt look like that big fan would fit on our bike. I guess there is no need for the stock plug behind it so maybe it fits.

The reflector shape is the other concern. I would ginea pig but am engrossed in other mech projects right now.

Not yet but you're right, I really want to. I was hoping that nnjhawk ordered one and would comment on it.
I have several electrical mods that I want to do (speedo healer, gear indicator and change out all the other bulbs for LEDs). At the price and quantity it adds up. None really expensive, but I have to prioritize. The LEDs are more an idea to reduce load on the electrical system (want a heated jacket liner) than to improve the lighting. Though if it did, that would be a bonus.
I read several pages on the ADV site. The unit received mostly high marks for pattern and throw.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

The LEd headlight option?

If so yes. tried, removed and reinstalled the Hella 90/130
Waiting on the projector to show up from the Retrofit source...Due in monday.
Anyone want a LED bulb,,, just ask.. have a almost new one for sale... cheap.