General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

LED replacement headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Or if it doesn't work you could rig the little fan to a drip system pointed at you so you have a mister on a hot day.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Screw it, Im in.. Just dropped the order..

At worst I'm out $60 and a few days time testing.

5-7 buisness days from now I should have it in my hands
I'm glad you did it! I'm on the fence about keeping my Hawk, I really want to get another dirt bike so I might list it for trade. I have an HID retrofit in my DD Accord and would love to try out the LED's on our Sonata.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:54 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I smell a

Old 01-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Squid

dudeitscristhian is on a distinguished road
I recently got these for my Superhawk and my buddy's F4. Each bulb uses 25W and has given me improved night vision without the need of headlight modification. I have attached the examples from both bikes. Here is the album with better resolution.
Attached Thumbnails LED replacement headlight-img_20140105_185309.jpg   LED replacement headlight-img_20140105_185344.jpg   LED replacement headlight-img_20140103_181124.jpg   LED replacement headlight-img_20140103_181018.jpg   LED replacement headlight-img_20140105_185318.jpg  

Old 01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dudeitscristhian
I recently got these for my Superhawk and my buddy's F4. Each bulb uses 25W and has given me improved night vision without the need of headlight modification. I have attached the examples from both bikes. Here is the album with better resolution.
Hmm...seems to be the exact same as the one Mr. Marquez just bought, but you get two for $79.95.

If Erik gives the thumbs up on this LED light setup, then I will go in halves with someone on the kit that has the two lights. I'm serious. I guess we will find out in ~5-7 days
Old 01-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Hmm...seems to be the exact same as the one Mr. Marquez just bought, but you get two for $79.95.

If Erik gives the thumbs up on this LED light setup, then I will go in halves with someone on the kit that has the two lights. I'm serious. I guess we will find out in ~5-7 days
They look close, but from pics alone, this Auto 2 bulb kit looks to use a different ballast.. The bulb looks the same though.

You just never know with this stuff... could be fake CREE's, used in one or both of these Ebay items, might be crappy work in the ballast, poor soldiering on the CREE or wiring..or...or... or...

Might all come from the same facility in different packaging to confuse us all. You just never know.

I received a shipping notice this morning from the Ebayer... expected delivery 27 Jan ~5 Mar... Not the 5-7 days I thought, but not terrible coming from the other side of the world.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to reading about your results
Old 01-16-2014, 06:39 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
Looking forward to reading about your results
+1 same here
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You just never know with this stuff... could be fake CREE's, used in one or both of these Ebay items, might be crappy work in the ballast, poor soldiering on the CREE or wiring..or...or... or...
Sometimes with the stuff made overseas, they run a "third shift" on products. First two shifts are legitimate, QC controlled by parent company. Then they bring in a cheaper labor group and skip some of the QC checks and can sell for cheaper because the parent company doesn't know and doesn't take profit off of the top... so it's the same product made in the same facility at most likely inferior quality under a different seller.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine

You smell a Guinea Pig?
Dude, get your kids a Dog.... Or at least make the kids clean the furry things cage.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road

Might all come from the same facility in different packaging to confuse us all. You just never know.
Everything we purchase today comes from this method of working. Companies all sub contract from one company, and have their own little
specs added for advertisement purposes.
Whether you buy a Maytag, GE, Inglis or Whirlpool, it's all the same.

That being said, thanks for being what Wolv so eloquently illustrated for us. I honestly smell another expense coming soon.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Out for Delivery
Jan-21-14, 08:07 AM, KEMPNER, TX 76539

Not bad ordered the 15th, arrives on the 21st Thats only 5 business days from Hong Kong to Texas
Old 02-11-2014, 12:00 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Not bad ordered the 15th, arrives on the 21st Thats only 5 business days from Hong Kong to Texas
Is it in ? Have you installed it ? How well does it work ? Do I sound like your wife just about now ?...
Old 02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Is it in ? Have you installed it ? How well does it work ? Do I sound like your wife just about now ?...
Yes
Yes
Pretty good, less so than a HID in a projector lens for sure, but on par with a good H4 bulb
Worse....she don't nag as much and puts out... so far your not batting well on this one

I have only had it out in the real dark in my drive way and a short ride home after hours ....

It needs a good night ride on a dark road (no street lights) and it's been too damn cold for that...

Lots of miles in the day light so far, but no rear test of the LED at night.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:37 AM
SuperBike

Yes
Yes
Pretty good, less so than a HID in a projector lens for sure, but on par with a good H4 bulb
Worse....she don't nag as much and puts out... so far your not batting well on this one

I have only had it out in the real dark in my drive way and a short ride home after hours ....

It needs a good night ride on a dark road (no street lights) and it's been too damn cold for that...

Lots of miles in the day light so far, but no rear test of the LED at night.
Marquez, I know you haven't tested that in full, but I would love to see how would you categorize the led light, or lets say, where would you scale it between 1 - 10 having the H4 as 1 and HID projector as 10?
Old 02-12-2014, 07:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
Marquez, I know you haven't tested that in full, but I would love to see how would you categorize the led light, or lets say, where would you scale it between 1 - 10 having the H4 as 1 and HID projector as 10?
Ok well..
lets do this
All running true full voltage , 13.8 or so and FRESH bulbs.. All Halogen lights start getting dimmer from the second it is lit. It is a slow process as materiel is deposited and coating the inside of the glass envelope. But compare a two of the same type, brand bulbs, a new one and a 1 year old one.. and you will see the difference.

1-60/55watt OEM 3100k or so and yellowish light
2-
3-LED twin CREE
4-60/55 watt Aftermarket H4 say PIAA Extreme white 4200k or Silvanya Silver Star Ultra
5-
6-Hella 100/55w Standard Halogen Bulb (more light but yellowish 3200K and less visible than whiter light)
7-HELLA H4 100/80W High Performance Xenon Blue (whiter light, not positive in the K rating)
8-
9-
10- HID in a true HID projector lens

Overall the LED light is just a tad whiter and bit brighter than a good aftermarket white H4 in standard wattage.... The pattern is ok as well. What I see as an advantage is life cycle.. I was getting short life from the PIAA Extreme white 4200k or Silvanya Silver Star Ultra. The LED was roughly twice as much,,, but if it last more than a year Im even on cost.

Personally I would not run a 100/55 or 100/80 in a SH without using a relay system.. Others will disagree .. to each his own. ( I use 20A micro relays made by Panasonic for my SH, even with H4 60/55 bulb to ensure Im getting full voltage to the bulb)

Hands down a GOOD projector lens HID in 4300K is the BEST choice.
But there are better choices than an OEM bulb for sure.

This summer sometime I'll likely swap to a HID from The Retrofit Source Inc

Last edited by E.Marquez; 02-14-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Moved the LED down a notch
Old 02-12-2014, 08:16 AM
SuperBike

Marquez, this is a great report on your experience, thanks bro'.
I'm already running a Retrofit Source HID projector and it is the best I ever had so far, but I was hoping that the CREE LED's can produce at list similar result to the HID projector in a more cost effective package, so I can use them on my other bikes, I guess that is not the case yet!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

This summer sometime I'll likely swap to a HID from The Retrofit Source Inc
Will you go with the standard Elite system, or opt for the Stage 1 kit, bi-xenon ? The stage one kit looks pretty awesome. More time spent installing, but probably worth the coin.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
Marquez, this is a great report on your experience, thanks bro'.
I'm already running a Retrofit Source HID projector and it is the best I ever had so far, but I was hoping that the CREE LED's can produce at list similar result to the HID projector in a more cost effective package, so I can use them on my other bikes, I guess that is not the case yet!
Well, that depends....

The 100 watt H4 bulbs toss out a **** ton of heat...that's a down side
In my opinion they require the use of a relay system. That means more building or buying or both.
In my experience high wattage (all aftermarket) bulbs have less bulb life then Stock H4, or HID capsules.. Time will tell if the LED out lives Higher wattage H4 bulbs in Texas Summer heat.

For the rider that needs a no MOD, simply sway.. the PIAA or Silverstar or LED is a great choice.

For those that can take the extra step of adding a pre-made relay set up or building their own... they will see better light but less bulb life (more voltage= less life in my experience)

And then we have the King.. for those willing and able to remove the headlight housing, open it up, modify it a bit for correct alignment of the projector, put it all back together, mount the components and wire it up..The $150 plus shipping Bi-xenon: Sportbike Stage I Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc option of a Projector HID is the BEST solution IMHO at this time
Old 02-13-2014, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Marquez

Is the CREE LED plug & play?

Meaning - can I get my small handed Nippon bush woman to remove the stock bulb & plug in the LED & I'm done? Or do I need a relay or something else?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Marquez

Is the CREE LED plug & play?

Meaning - can I get my small handed Nippon bush woman to remove the stock bulb & plug in the LED & I'm done? Or do I need a relay or something else?
It is...plug and play.

Remove plug from H4 bulb
Remove rubber boot
Remove H4 bulb
Install LED "bulb"
Screw on fan to back of LED "bulb"
Plug fan and LED "bulb" in to the ballast
Plug the stock female light plug into ballast male socket (same type design as the 3 prong bulb one)
Mount the ballast.... I used some 3M double stick tape and mounted it for now to the black air duct.

Might have been a 10 min install
Old 02-13-2014, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
It is...plug and play.

Remove plug from H4 bulb
Remove rubber boot
Remove H4 bulb
Install LED "bulb"
Screw on fan to back of LED "bulb"
Plug fan and LED "bulb" in to the ballast
Plug the stock female light plug into ballast male socket (same type design as the 3 prong bulb one)
Mount the ballast.... I used some 3M double stick tape and mounted it for now to the black air duct.

Might have been a 10 min install
Cool - I might get one as well. I really don't want to spend the $ or modify like crazy for the HID.

Would U say this is a good alternate?

is this where U ordered from?

1x Motorcycle Bike 1800Lm H4 50W CREE CXA1512 LED Headlight Head Beam Auto Bulb | eBay
Old 02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Thumbs down DO NOT RECCOMEND

So finally had some time and weather to do a night ride.

60 miles after teaching an MSF class.

The light is a nice 4300 K or so white, Thats a plus

The Low beam pattern is not terrible, the spread, cut off and distance is pretty spot on.. there is a bright band right in front of the bike, a dark band 2 through 3 feet in front..... and good light from there.

The dark band is not in a "riding" area... ie not a place where light matters or is useful... so not having full pattern light there is not missed performance wise.

High beam.. Spread is very good.. nice and wide to light up them critters coming across the road., fill from nose to as far as light penetrates is good,,,but that IS the problem... no real distance the light pattern is not "enough" to really light of up the road at a distance I expect from a performance H4 bulb.

Any of the H4 100 watt hi beams (60/100 or 80/100) would beat this LED light hands down with distance fill light.

So.. If you need a in town, on lighted highway, no long distance light.. This LED with its nice white, light would be a ok choice.

But anyone looking for some distance, so as to not over ride the light available.. PASS on the LED for now.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
Cool - I might get one as well. I really don't want to spend the $ or modify like crazy for the HID.

Would U say this is a good alternate?
NO not a good alternative.

Better is a relay system and a Hella/H4 12 Volt 100/80 Watts blue high performance xenon bulb

Better still is the HID from the Retrofit source.. the MOD is pretty darn simple and only $150
Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Eric, thanks for the review. So often when someone buys something they are praising it just to show they were smart for buying it.

Thanks for the unbiased review.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:11 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Well...nuts. I had high hopes for the newcomer. Thanks for being the guinea pig and doing a review for all of us.

Speaking of LED's, I just saw a comercial for the new Lincoln MKZ which has LED headlights. As LED headlights get more common, there will be more choices and cheaper options. Just have to wait is all.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Will you go with the standard Elite system, or opt for the Stage 1 kit, bi-xenon ? The stage one kit looks pretty awesome. More time spent installing, but probably worth the coin.
I absolutely will never install an HID bulb in a lens designed for a H4..

The HID light must go in a projector lens designed for HID to be useful and produce quality light down the road.

So yes, I'll open the head light housing and install a projector and shroud ... it is very easy to do.... like as in stupid simple
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 PM
SuperBike

I absolutely will never install an HID bulb in a lens designed for a H4..

The HID light must go in a projector lens designed for HID to be useful and produce quality light down the road.

So yes, I'll open the head light housing and install a projector and shroud ... it is very easy to do.... like as in stupid simple
+1 No doubt, don't waste your time on just HID light bulb replacement, you will get a really bad light distribution, you will see allot worse than with a regular H4, while blinding all the upcoming traffic, which is a bonus risk added factor to already dizzy light setup. Not a good combination!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the report. Guess I'll be sticking my Eastern Beaver relay kit and Hella 55/100W set-up. I should note one caveat, however, as the set-up tried is an eBay "China Inc" special and NOT the kit listed at the start of the thread..... may have gotten a different result with the latter (maybe not too, who knows)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
I should note one caveat, however, as the set-up tried is an eBay "China Inc" special and NOT the kit listed at the start of the thread..... may have gotten a different result with the latter (maybe not too, who knows)
With everything looking equal, the only thing we couldn't see was inside the drivers. I would guess that's where the difference lies. Only way to find out is to buy the LED kit at the start of the thread.

Not it!

Quick Reply: LED replacement headlight