General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

I'm Interested in buying a VTR - Some Q's for Ya

Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
I'm Interested in buying a VTR - Some Q's for Ya

I'm hot on the trail of a 98 VTR (actually 98-01) and I'm wondering what issues to be on the lookout for.

Also, I've been rid'n for 46 years (42 with an artificial right leg) and I'm wondering if any foot peg lowering kits are available. If no, I think I might try adapting a "MotorcycleLarry" kit for an ST1300 to the VTR.

Has anyone mounted a thumb brake kit on a VTR? If yes, I'd be interested in seeing photos of the installation. If no, maybe I'll be the first to do it.

Oh, if you haven't already visited http://sportbikeroads.com please do so; you'll find some interesting places to ride.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Issues...The two things too look out for is the cam chain tensioners (CCT) which can be worn out and cause the valves to go crunch... If the bike you are looking at has a some miles on it and haven't had them replaced factor in the swap to either new OEM ones or manual (APE) CCT's, OEM will need replacing again at regular intervall, APE's may need adjustment but doesn't wear out...

Another thing that usualy goes out on bikes after a few year is the regulator/rectifier (R/R)... Either replace to new OEM with fins or go look for a replacement from other bikes, lot's of threads on this subject...

Apart from this and normal condition of the bike the Hawk is like most Honda's close to indestructible... You will not wear it out...

Thumb brake... not that I know of...

Yes there are several adjustable rearsets available... All with comfort settings as well as race settings... Unfortunately they are quite costly...

The shop is empty of that item right now, but they sell a fotpegs that is adjustable here... http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THURN-MOTOR...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Last edited by Tweety; 12-02-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
the bars come pretty close to the tank, i'd think you'd need to put bar risers on to have any clearance ( assuming your talking about a left bar thumb brake ) or just bag the clip-ons & go with a bar.

tim
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Also I know someone on here has put Buell footpegs on his, and those were lower than stock too.

edit: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...uell+foot+pegs
Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
the front suspension can be abit rough.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Shock/swingarm suspension linkage bearing/s can corrode if not greased (no grease nipple) - listen for squeaks - then again if it doesn't squeak it could be seized!

Starter motor also vulnerable to corrosion on the front of the engine - check under rubber boot on the starter to see terminal not rusted (petroleum jelly/vaseline is good for prevention) and seal/fibre washer is okay.

Bear in mind this is from a UK perspective of all year round riding on winter salted roads which exacerbates wear & tear, compared to say a VTR from sunny California.

OE early RegRect and CCTs are suspect as mentioned before - apart from that tough and fun ol' bird
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Back Marker

YTKinWI is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep my eyes and ears open to items listed.
Ride the wheels Off! YTKinWI