Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Buell footpegs, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Squid

Aaron_D is on a distinguished road
Buell footpegs, anyone?

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to the VTR, though I've been lurking for a while.

Anyway, shortly after I purchased the bike I decided I wanted more legroom. I'd heard of people adapting Buell XB12S Lightning footpegs http://www.buell.com/en_us/gear/acce...ProductID=1941 to other bikes, but I couldn't find anyone here using them. I purchased a pair (around $25 at the local H-D dealer) and modified them to fit my Super Hawk. They fit fine with a bit of grinding and the use of a couple of bushings and the extra inch or so of legroom was great. However, due to my size 13 feet and my Jardine high-mount exhaust, I can't use them unless I want my shoes melted.

So, the question is, does anyone want to try my set of modified Buell pegs? They'll fit the stock mounts with no modifications to the bike, but they hang low enough that they probably won't work with the stock exhaust. They may work well with other high-mount systems or if your feet are smaller than mine.

Here's the deal. I'll ship you the pegs and bushings free of charge. If you like them, send me $30. If you don't, ship them back to me or to another forum member. I'm not particularly concerned what happens to them. I'm just curious as to whether they'll work for someone else. Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Aaron
Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Why

Originally Posted by Aaron_D
Hello, everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to the VTR, though I've been lurking for a while.

Anyway, shortly after I purchased the bike I decided I wanted more legroom. I'd heard of people adapting Buell XB12S Lightning footpegs http://www.buell.com/en_us/gear/acce...ProductID=1941 to other bikes, but I couldn't find anyone here using them. I purchased a pair (around $25 at the local H-D dealer) and modified them to fit my Super Hawk. They fit fine with a bit of grinding and the use of a couple of bushings and the extra inch or so of legroom was great. However, due to my size 13 feet and my Jardine high-mount exhaust, I can't use them unless I want my shoes melted.

So, the question is, does anyone want to try my set of modified Buell pegs? They'll fit the stock mounts with no modifications to the bike, but they hang low enough that they probably won't work with the stock exhaust. They may work well with other high-mount systems or if your feet are smaller than mine.

Here's the deal. I'll ship you the pegs and bushings free of charge. If you like them, send me $30. If you don't, ship them back to me or to another forum member. I'm not particularly concerned what happens to them. I'm just curious as to whether they'll work for someone else. Send me a PM if you're interested.

-Aaron
Why won't they fit with the OEM exhaust? It's tucked inboard of the pegs.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
PM sent

-R
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
SuperBike

what happened? u still gotem? u never replied 2 my ?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Squid

I realize the stock exhaust runs inboard of the mounts, but there must be a bolt on the other side. On my bike, the rubber isolators were still in the mounting holes below the pegs. The Buell pegs were against the isolators. I've never seen the stock exhaust, but I have to think that would cause interference issues.

-Aaron
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM
SuperBike

Did someone else take the pegs?

I realize the stock exhaust runs inboard of the mounts, but there must be a bolt on the other side. On my bike, the rubber isolators were still in the mounting holes below the pegs. The Buell pegs were against the isolators. I've never seen the stock exhaust, but I have to think that would cause interference issues.

-Aaron
Did WyldRyce? If not send them to me...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:32 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
While I think you are making a very noble offer, adding Buell parts to my VTR risks decreasing its value, lol
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Yeah, I got em yesterday, but haven't had time to check them out for fitment yet. I'll report after I get them on.

-R
Old 05-18-2007, 10:08 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by wyldryce
Yeah, I got em yesterday, but haven't had time to check them out for fitment yet. I'll report after I get them on.

-R
I saw 2 or 3 similar but different styles of Buell 1" lower footpegs. I was thinking, instead of using bushings due to the larger Buell bolt diameter, why not weld up the holes and drill them back out to the Honda diameter?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Would work on a new set, but these have been bushed already.

-R
Old 05-18-2007, 12:55 PM
SuperBike

Would work on a new set, but these have been bushed already.

-R
If the bushings are loose u could still do it. I can't believe the bushings are welded in.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Nope. They aren't welded in, so yes, I could have them welded up. (I'm not a welder) Don't really need to though, as the steel bushings appear to be a good fit, and should wear well. I put the left one on when I dropped by the house for lunch. It fits, but does lightly contact the washer under the bolt head for the exhaust mount. I can further clearance the peg, which I'll want to do anyway, as they it is still angled upward slightly, so that should solve that problem. Looking at it from the back of the bike, the left peg (the buell) is certainly lower than the honda one on the right, not to mention that there is not rubber pad on there which makes the OEM one taller. I'll try and take some pictures of it to show the relative difference.

-R
Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 PM
SuperBike

"I'll try and take some pictures of it to show the relative difference."

Kool... I'm jealous and am working on calculations for a tubular handlebar conversion too.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Right on! Let me know what you find out when you do that bar conversion. I could be interested in that; even with helibars, I could always stand to sit more upright. I love the standard seating position of my bandit. The legroom on the SH is already much much much better than on the TL-S I used to have.

-R
Old 05-18-2007, 03:35 PM
Squid

Yeah, I kind of left the pegs unfinished. I got them to fit, but didn't go any further due to the clearance issues with my heels and the exhaust. I figured if I really liked them, I'd consider buying another set and refining the fit (maybe welding them rather than bushing them, as a previous poster suggested). I'd be concerned about removing too much metal, though, as they are just lightweight cast aluminum. Anyway, they really seem like they could be a good setup for the right bike or rider.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

Right on! Let me know what you find out when you do that bar conversion. I could be interested in that; even with helibars, I could always stand to sit more upright. I love the standard seating position of my bandit. The legroom on the SH is already much much much better than on the TL-S I used to have.

-R
Yes, I have Helibars and had Sargent build me a +1.5 inch saddle which I stripped and shaped with my patented "Ball Gutter" and "Tush Pan" but since being taken out on my bicycle 01-01-07 (by another bicyclist) my wrists can't take any extended loads and shock. I've got to go back to my local Buell dealer and see which style peg looks best. I'll probably weld the holes and re-drill. I'll also post my progress on both mods.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Check some of the threads by superbling on his bar mods. Drag bars will work. We exchanged some PM's and he had a bandit before the hawk and I rode a friends bandit and found the ergos perfect.

I'm interested in this buell footpeg mod. Please post some pics.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Pegs are on, and I finally got the motor done last night (see CCT thread for that) so...this morning was my first ride on the new pegs. First impressions are pretty good. They are a little more slippery than the stockers, being polished aluminum, but the position is great. I need to take apart the brake m/c for the rear and adjust that pedal down. Looks like I can just remove that locknut and get plenty more adjustment...getting the whole thing apart looks like a bit of a pain though. Oh well. All in good time. I will try and post the pics I took the other day...just been side tracked with lots of work and other projects. As far as difference, it looks to me to be about a 1.5" drop or so, BUT they move back about an inch too, and are sloped more downward that the stock pegs (which is preferable IMO). Anyway...so far so good.

-R
Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
"I'll try and take some pictures of it to show the relative difference."

Kool... I'm jealous and am working on calculations for a tubular handlebar conversion too.
Sorry to jack the thread, but... where is that crash cage from?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:08 PM
SuperBike

1 of 100

Originally Posted by J.J.
Sorry to jack the thread, but... where is that crash cage from?
Our old friend and resident round eye in Nippon Stu Ablett (now VTRless but always another project underway) had a lil guy who was making them for a fancy track school (I bow with eyes up for them using VTRs) after a year of cajoling produced a LE of 100. Don't know how many went to what country but could ask him. Thin tubing and light welds made for a couple reinforcements (HT braze) but tidey design. I have designed 3 times mod to permit removal of crank plug w/o left removal (PITA) but not executed 1. Very light but requires repair after hard kiss. Yet uneploited for DL or alt peg attchmt. More pics & i-instructions pos
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
...(HT braze) but tidey design. I have designed 3 times mod to permit removal of crank plug w/o left removal (PITA) but not executed 1.... Yet uneploited for DL or alt peg attchmt.

Ummmm. Uhh.... thanks?

I understood about 1/3 of that post... but you should definitely post up some more pics...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
I ground my new buell pegs and put them on tonight. No bushings though. I cannot locate any that fit. I'm wondering how necessary they really are since when the pegs are down they don't move...opinions?

I think that I adjusted my brake pedal all the way down and I still have to lift my foot off the peg to use the rear brake...not good. If I cannot find any more room I'll have to go back to stock.

Adjusted the shifter. At first it was too far and for some reason I couldn't use first. Fiddled with it until I could get first, but some more adjustment is in order.

I'm riding it to work tommorrow as-is. I'll make adjustments in the parking lot during work (one of the benefits of having a boss that is an hour away and spread too thin).

Should I worry about bushings or not?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Squid

I got my bushings at Sears Hardware. I found them in one of the bins in the fastener department. Of course, I had to drill the pegs to fit the bushings, but the pins fit almost perfectly inside the bushings.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:17 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Of course, I had to drill the pegs to fit the bushings, but the pins fit almost perfectly inside the bushings.
An important part of the equation that I missed.

How did you adjust the brake pedal? Mine appears to be adjusted all the way down, but is still too high. I had a delivery truck pull out in front of me this morning and when I went to hit the rear brake it wasn't there...not cool.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM
SuperBike

Yes, Install Bushings

Originally Posted by penst8grad
I ground my new buell pegs and put them on tonight. No bushings though. I cannot locate any that fit. I'm wondering how necessary they really are since when the pegs are down they don't move...opinions?

I think that I adjusted my brake pedal all the way down and I still have to lift my foot off the peg to use the rear brake...not good. If I cannot find any more room I'll have to go back to stock.

Adjusted the shifter. At first it was too far and for some reason I couldn't use first. Fiddled with it until I could get first, but some more adjustment is in order.

I'm riding it to work tommorrow as-is. I'll make adjustments in the parking lot during work (one of the benefits of having a boss that is an hour away and spread too thin).

Should I worry about bushings or not?
On 05-23-2007, 01:33 PM
wyldryce said: I need to take apart the brake m/c for the rear and adjust that pedal down. Looks like I can just remove that locknut and get plenty more adjustment...getting the whole thing apart looks like a bit of a pain though.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
I put mine on a couple of weeks ago. A friend made bushings for me.

first shifter adjustment, I also couldn't shift all the way into first. Backed off a bit and it is okay, but a bit higher than my first choice.

Haven't done the brake yet.

I'm wondering if my boot soles will get melted. The buell pegs move as far back as down. My heel seem to be right on the pipe.

I may try the other peg lowering trick from superbling using ZXR9 pegs through the exhaust mount hole.

Miles of Smiles
Tom
Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Fiddled with it more in the parking lot...

Shifter seems fine new. Right where I want it and it goes into all the gears.

I've adjusted the brake as far as the stopnut allows. I think on Sunday (riding tomorrow) I'll take the stopnut off, grind 1/8 inch off the bolt, and put a thinner stopnut on. If that desn't get me there, I'll have to bend it.

My size 12's do rest on the cans. I always touched the cans and would rest on them while highway riding. Now my boots will touch all the time. I don't think it will be a problem, but tommorrow's ride will tell for certain.

I'll report back later this weekend on how well these pegs do. I'm hoping my hips and knees won't ache after ~300mi day. The other thing that genuinely concerns me is the peg feelers seem very long. I don't want to take them off, but may find a better (shorter) substitute.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Easier answer. . .Adjustable pegs. . .that are designed to fit. . .

Look Close. . .
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 PM
SuperBike

Easier answer. . .Adjustable pegs. . .that are designed to fit. . .

OK you got our attention. Whose, where did you get them, how much, what does it take to install them?
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Post Ride Update

I finally got things where I want them yesterday as far as pedal adjustment and put a ride in today.

I spent a total of 9 hours on the bike today. Well on, and off if you include lunch and gas stops. This definetly helped as far as my aching knees and hips. I was still sore when the day as done, but not "soak in the hot tub" sore. More of a managable like sitting at my workdesk allday sore.

My second biggest concern was that the pegs would grind. No problem. I think it actually helped force my butt off the seat and concentrate on smooth instead of jerking it into the turn and hammer the throttle on exit. Not that I did that before either.

All in all I'll give this mod a 7/10 for function and an 8/10 for ease. 10/10 for price since it was under $30 total. Never did put the bushings in, and I probably won't.

Quick Reply: Buell footpegs, anyone?