General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buying parts: KNOW THE EXACT PART NO. BEFORE BUYING!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 11:09 AM
faz
Superstock

faz
Buying parts: KNOW THE EXACT PART NO. BEFORE BUYING!

Short and sweet version: Know the EXACT part no. before you go to parts counter!

-----
If you want to know the story, read on:

A couple of days ago I went to to buy: 2 spark plugs for my 01 Ninja 250, and: 2 spark plugs, an oil filter (and crush washer) for for my 02 Honda Superhawk.

Cycle Center of Freemont is both a Kawasaki and a Honda dealer (as well as Harley and Buelle), and is a short drive away from my work, so why not!! Two guys behind the parts counter, one (Joe) is busy with another customer, the other (call him C....) is not. C.... asks if he can help me. I say yes, and tell him what I want. C.... goes behind the counter, where I can see him look for the spark plugs, brings all of the parts back to me, and starts to ring me up.

After I mention to him that Superhawk is a v-twin and I only need TWO spark plugs for it, not FOUR, he says oops and takes the extra two back. Then, having lost my confidence in him, I ask him: "Could you please double check the part numbers for me, I just hate to find out I have the wrong parts when I am in the middle of doing the actual work!" He reassures me (without double checking) that these are exact right parts, and that I shouldn't worry. Great, I reassure myself: "this is the dealership, they know the right parts, stop being a dick!"

Next day something tells me I should check these for myself. I go online to Ronayers.com to check the part numbers vs. the ones that appear on my receipt.

Strangely enough the actual part no. for Honda's spark plug has an extra X at the end of it (DPR9EVX-9) - The EVX type plug is a platinum spark plug, an absolute MUST for superhawk, and should be changed every 8k miles. Remember, the same type of plugs in a Honda car is recommended to be changed at 100k miles!

Not wanting to trust the receipt, When I get home, I look at the actual part, and sure enough, it is the wrong type. I call them up, Joe answers the phone, he checks his database and confirms that I got the wrong part. I laugh and ask him to put the right parts aside for me at the counter so I can exchange them the next day. No worries. An innocent mistake, I assume.

Next I wonder about my Ninja's plugs. Are those the right ones? I check the manual, it needs a CR8HSA type (R identifies a resistor type plug.). Check the plugs I bought: C8HSA. ****!!!

I call Joe back, he checks, and again confirms that I was given the wrong parts. I ask him to put these two next to the other two for me to pick up tomorrow.

I went back there this morning, on my way to work. Service dept. was open, talked to Steve there, talked to Jill there, Jill took me to the parts counter which wasn't open yet, found the right spark plugs waiting for me at the counter, discounted the difference in the price (a total $3 or so), and promised me to talk to CXXXX and let the parts manager know about this.

Moral of the story:

Never trust the dealer (or anyone else for that matter) to give you the right part. Always find out the exact part no. of the part you want before hand (from the manual, online, etc.), and have it with you when buying parts. Double check the part no. before leaving the counter.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:32 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I'm right there with ya
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Misplaced pride ! This story comes down to this in my mind.

Not the fact that C gave you the wrong parts. Mistakes can happen. His mistake was his pride. Too sure of himself, and failed to double check his work.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I don't know. All I'm getting out of this is be sure to be the biggest dick you can be at all times or else you have to go back later.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I don't know. All I'm getting out of this is be sure to be the biggest dick you can be at all times or else you have to go back later.
I'm right there with ya too
Old 08-29-2014, 06:21 PM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Buyer Beware> Gee when you have the differential torn apart on your F150 and you have already torched off the inner races of the ring gear carrier and then discover that the kit you bought from the auto parts place is the wrong one and it is Saturday afternoon......

On Monday, well parts man says there are 3 different differentials on that truck and there is only 1 rebuilt kit available in the whole country for the least common one that is in the stupid truck of yours.....

Well please put the dam ffing thing on a plane so I can get my stupid truck down of the crane in the production area of where I work so I don't loose my job.........

Oh and that was just the first horror show with this stupid truck but when it runs right I do love my F150....... kind of like a Superhawk...... Well actually the Hawk has not screwed me yet.....

Hope I have not .......put some bad vibes in the either......
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
The moral of the story is: no one cares about your bike(s) more than you, and if the people at the dealer were brilliant, they'd be on TV under the HRC ez-up working on racebikes. The truth is they are minimum wage people who like motorcycles, and they know which catalog to start in, nothing more.

James

Originally Posted by Pidge
Buyer Beware> Gee when you have the differential torn apart on your F150 and you have already torched off the inner races of the ring gear carrier and then discover that the kit you bought from the auto parts place is the wrong one and it is Saturday afternoon......

On Monday, well parts man says there are 3 different differentials on that truck and there is only 1 rebuilt kit available in the whole country for the least common one that is in the stupid truck of yours.....

Well please put the dam ffing thing on a plane so I can get my stupid truck down of the crane in the production area of where I work so I don't loose my job.........

Oh and that was just the first horror show with this stupid truck but when it runs right I do love my F150....... kind of like a Superhawk...... Well actually the Hawk has not screwed me yet.....

Hope I have not .......put some bad vibes in the either......
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM
Squid

Arstine is on a distinguished road
We have a dealer here, luckily it's the Kaw/Yamaha dealer, that has never...NEVER...got anything right when I go there. It is the dealer that I got my bike from used.

I have a Kaw Concours so I deal with them on occasion. So far they have failed to sell me the right plugs once, the wrong oil filter has been handed to me and rung up 3 times, and they were completely full of it when they sold me my Hawk.

I was told that the Hawk was completely gone through and everything was cleaned and tuned by "a mechanic". Yet the chain was way out of spec and the sprockets were so chewed up it was skipping teeth. I pulled the air box and it was full of mouse turds and seeds.

So my experience with dealers is... They are all about the $$$ and don't really care about you or your ride unless you're buying new and they can upsell upsell upsell. They hire cheap parts labor as long as they act like they can read the books.

I'm all for shopping local but if local is garbage, online I go.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'm negative, I'm cynical blah blah blah but the problem is is that 9 out 10 people have no idea what the hell they're doing regardless of the profession, nor do they care. F$*k it, I like to give the brick and mortar stores the business too but it's gotten to the point where I just look up the stuff online myself. Ronayers and Partzilla have the microfiche and also undercut any ridiculous price the dealer charges for anything. I'll also look up the part# elsewhere online (ebay, etc). Oh yeah I forgot there's still some asshat who doesn't give a $hit about his job or my bike or my time and yes I've received the wrong parts that way too or nothing at all. Partzilla loves to advertise and let you buy 10 of something and pay for it even though it's not in stock, then tell you a week later. Sorry it's 5am maybe this should be moved to RANT.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
The EVX type plug is a platinum spark plug, an absolute MUST for superhawk
Not any good for taking plug readings from though because of the center electrode. I'm just about to fit standard (old fashioned type) plugs as I want to start monitoring my carbs.

As for parts departments, there's a reason we do our own servicing and maintenance.

(:-})
Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I have a really good local Honda dealer. Never sold me the wrong part once. They also don't jerk me off with any petty BS at annual state inspections but do point out things I need to pay attention to. (The owner rides a SuperHawk and swears he'll never ever sell it.)

I'll count my blessings.