General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hi new guy here on my first VTR.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Squid

Griffo is on a distinguished road
Hi new guy here on my first VTR.

Hi guys , Im in Brisbane Australia here and have just bought my first Superhawk a 2005 model , its got Staintunes on it and a performance air filter , nice tidy bike , only got 3800k's on the clock , guy who owned it was a mechanic and didnt get a lot of time for riding .

Dont know anything much about them , one of my nephews had an SP1 but thats about all Ive seen of them , I have a 2000 model Buell M2 Cyclone 1200 as well , thats where I got the love of big twins from .

Just needing to know is there anything I need to look out for with the Firestorm as in problems or what type of tyres do guys think work best on them etc , Ive read a heap of reviews on them before i bought it but they all say there very reliable and not much needs doing , would you guys agree with that .
Old 03-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Yes there are a couple of issues to be aware of:
CCTs
R/R
Poke around the site a bit and you'll find all sorts of threads on those two things
Old 03-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
If you're looking to upgrade, the "low hanging fruit" is front brakes (SS lines and EBC HH pads or the like) and front springs (stock are too soft for anyone tall enough to ride the bike).

Be mindful of your fuel supply. The Superhawk does ok when commuting buy whack the throttle open a few times and mileage drops badly and there's only 3.8 truly usable gallons on board.

I have Bridgestone BT021's and love them. They're sort of a sport/tour tire but they provide light handling, good grip and long life. IF you're an agressive corner carver, get something like the Dunlop Qualifiers. Won't last as long but a little better for the shenanigans.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Ride the bike for a while before thinking of changing anything. I don't have any issues with the suspension or the brakes. Most of my riding is around town, but every other weekend I travel out to the twisties and my stock Hawk handles marvelously. I run Pilot Power tires. The CCT's can bite early, or work for many miles just fine, but it's hard to know, and they are a bit of a ticking bomb. Same with the R/R.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:49 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Ride the bike for a while before thinking of changing anything. I don't have any issues with the suspension or the brakes. Most of my riding is around town, but every other weekend I travel out to the twisties and my stock Hawk handles marvelously. I run Pilot Power tires. The CCT's can bite early, or work for many miles just fine, but it's hard to know, and they are a bit of a ticking bomb. Same with the R/R.

Welcome to the forum.
Agreed, try the bike for a while first. As this one got such low miles, I doubt you will see any of the R/R or CCT's problems anytime soon, no worries. you have lot's of miles to cover before you even get to worry about anything. Just change the oil + filter, tires if you wish and brake/clutch fluids just to refresh the bike a little and go enjoy it!!!

Cheers mate
Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Squid

Thanks guys , awesome input there , that'll give me lots to think about , Im not thinking of doing much to it just yet except a fender eliminator , cant live with that big rear mudguard , but other than that its already got staintunes on it and a K&N filter and its been dynoed with them on so its running sweet , so for the time being Ill just ride and enjoy , cheers .
Old 03-19-2012, 05:38 PM
SuperBike

You don't have to use fender eliminator, just cut the existing fender as much a you can without damaging the storage area and blinkers, it will look already much much better.
Unless you want to go with the Euro tail, that will require allot more work..
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 AM
Squid

Yep the fender was an easy fix , very happy with the bike and as mentioned hopefully wont have any problems for a while with such low mileage

rides066.jpg?t=1333602445
Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Gotta like the sign!!!!! To bad I live in FLAT AZZ FLORIDA!!!! Welcome to the site!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Griffo
Yep the fender was an easy fix , very happy with the bike and as mentioned hopefully wont have any problems for a while with such low mileage

Nice Picture Mate, now you got me drifting in to nostalgia, I remember the old pacific highway north of Sydney around Ku-ring-gai national park and further up north to Gosford, NSW, it was a similar road and tons of fun

Cheers mate
Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to our world!

The only thing that I could suggest is to check the R/R mounting location. There is a ground wire with ring terminal attached to one of the R/R mounting bolts. Make sure this wire is connected against the bolt head and NOT between the R/R and subframe.

Mine was attached the wrong way, which caused excessive heat in the R/R. It died too young from heat stroke.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:50 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
G'day Griffo
The guys on this site are A1 plenty of info as well
Have you also tried the oz site www.ozfirestorm.com.au

cheers
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Squid

damascusdave is on a distinguished road
I have been hearing lots of good things about the Michelin Road 2 and Road 3. I really like the look of the Road 3 with lots of siping. Imagine they may not last as long but gotta be great in the wet.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
She's beast on the ascent but a pig on the descent in her stock form. I did front breaks and rotors, new tubes and tires all in the same ten weeks. It was a new bike - totally different. The pig was gone and the gazelle was on.

You don't have to buy a $30k Ducati. You can buy a Superhawk like yours and destroy Ducati's all day long with proper rider skills and simple mods to the bike - all bolt on.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha, welcome to the forum. Lots of good info on here. Do a "search" for questions
and post additional concerns. The R/R should be a concern, as well as a Manual Cam
Chain Tensioner, just for peace of mind. Had a good work-out when my R/R went out.
First the gauges went out, then then motor cut out. Luckily I was within a 15 minute push of a Honda dealer. I think I lost about 5 lbs, pushing the bike with full leathers,
helmet off in the Hot Kona Hawaii Humidity. Did not know at the time it was the R/R.
New Battery died about 48 hours later. Did the multimeter test in the factory manual and ordered a new R/R. Went with one from a R1, been fine since. Have acquired spare
front(2) and rear(1) complete heads just to have. Along with MCCTs. Love the S/H
Old 04-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by NHSH
Nice Picture Mate, now you got me drifting in to nostalgia, I remember the old pacific highway north of Sydney around Ku-ring-gai national park and further up north to Gosford, NSW, it was a similar road and tons of fun

Cheers mate
Ahh an ex pat hey , I was wondering if there were any other aussies on the site .
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by erno
G'day Griffo
The guys on this site are A1 plenty of info as well
Have you also tried the oz site www.ozfirestorm.com.au

cheers
Thanks erno , Ill get signed up there as well , cheers .
Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Griffo
Ahh an ex pat hey , I was wondering if there were any other aussies on the site .
Don't know about other ex pats, but there are more then few Aussies on this forum
Even after many years mate, can't get over leaving Sydney behind... miss it terribly, people, weather and my surfboard

Cheers