General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Help.I can't get the smile off my face!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Older and Slower
Squid

wayne is on a distinguished road
Help.I can't get the smile off my face!

Ok so It stopped raining and I finally got to put a couple of hours on the new to me Superhawk. I haven't had this much fun on a motorcycle since I got my KX. What a sweet sounding, fun handling torquer this thing is. Why had I never heard of these before. How is it that they weren't more popular. I've been a rider for more than 40 years and owned all styles of bike from 70s and 80s standards to Harleys, Asian cruiser to an FJ1100 as well as a slew of dirt bikes. Hands down this is one of the most fun rides I've ever owned! pick a line it holds it, flick the throttle and you accelerate in any gear and ohh that sound! I'm hooked, it's gonna be a great summer. Sold the FJ this morning, don't think I'll miss it to much.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wayne
Ok so It stopped raining and I finally got to put a couple of hours on the new to me Superhawk. I haven't had this much fun on a motorcycle since I got my KX. What a sweet sounding, fun handling torquer this thing is. Why had I never heard of these before. How is it that they weren't more popular. I've been a rider for more than 40 years and owned all styles of bike from 70s and 80s standards to Harleys, Asian cruiser to an FJ1100 as well as a slew of dirt bikes. Hands down this is one of the most fun rides I've ever owned! pick a line it holds it, flick the throttle and you accelerate in any gear and ohh that sound! I'm hooked, it's gonna be a great summer. Sold the FJ this morning, don't think I'll miss it to much.
I'm glad you feel that way , oh BTW you can make it sound also like a Ducati with a dry clutch:
Japanese Ducati - yes, they did it! - YouTube

Congrats on selling the FJ1100 so fast.

As for popularity, most people in the US buy what's marketed best, not very smart shoppers, gimmicks and t-shirts and etc... Harley D' and the general 4 cylinder crouch rockets, these mostly sell for the looks and image only!
Here's coming another debate
Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wayne
Hands down this is one of the most fun rides I've ever owned!

I'm still giddy every time I throw a leg over my Hawk, even after all these years it just doesn't lose it's appeal. When I climb off sometimes I have to stop and admire the beast. Before I got mine I lusted after them for several years while riding it's predecessor the NT650 Hawk GT. Glad to hear you like it as much as you do. Let the mods begin!!
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
You probably won't miss the FJ much, fine as they were. They were a big torquey liter+ bike designed to go fast and handle reasonably well for their day, with some protection from the wind but not as much as a tourer. The VTR is also a big torquey liter bike with some protection from the wind, and a bit more sporting design, but still capable of doing large miles in relative comfort. If you find the riding position a bit too hard on your wrists, try some of the HeliBars. I have them on my bike and they are just shy of perfect for me, maybe a bit too tall when I am really going fast. Looking at a taller windscreen to help with that.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine

I'm still giddy every time I throw a leg over my Hawk, even after all these years it just doesn't lose it's appeal. When I climb off sometimes I have to stop and admire the beast. Before I got mine I lusted after them for several years while riding it's predecessor the NT650 Hawk GT. Glad to hear you like it as much as you do. Let the mods begin!!
Me too! Had an NT650GT Hawk that I rode the Hell out of for years. Now I have my SuperHawk as my phone's wallpaper, and my laptop's wallpaper, lol. I love the way it looks, even stock. Always liked them. Had the same affair with my '99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Always loved the look when they came out in '97, but didn't get one till five years later. Loved that car. Got 250k miles out of it till it became a labor of love to keep it going.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Man I know your feeling! When I had my VTR awhile back I LOVED it! I rode all kinds of bikes on a regular basis being a motorcycle tech. I'll admit I didn't really get to ride most bikes for a long ride but enough to get a bit of a feel for them. I've always said the VTR was the funnest bike I've ever ridden. It is a bit rough on my wrists on longer rides, maybe I'll have to check into the Heli Bars. I have found that if I keep my elbows bent my forearms go straight on to the bars and it's way easier on my wrists, but if I lock my elbows it puts the strain on the iside of my hand and starts to bother my wrists. If I could bend them up slightly would probably make a huge difference.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I had a **** eating grin when I got to work this morning since mine is recently back on the road...the only thing I don't like about the bike is the gas mileage; if there was an injected version available that got 45 I don't think I'd even think about looking at other bikes for the street.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:50 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Yeah it isn't the best on mileage compared to other bikes but it sure beats the hell out of 13-16 that I get with my truck or Explorer. Only other beef is with the tiny fuel tank.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

I have gotten as much as 47MPG from my SHawk at 60MPH on the highway for 100 miles, trying for max MPG's. I usually get 30-35MPG depending on how much time it sees on the highway. Last fillup was after a 112 mile hyper-speed blast out to Dallas and back, averaging 90-100MPH, with runs well over that, and it got 35 MPG. I was a little amazed.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Your mileage will likely improve as you have ridden the bike for a while, lol. I stopped twisting the Hell out of the throttle every time I ride it after I put about 3000 miles on it. I actually like the casual way it rides between 2500 & 3500 too. Kinda relaxing to cruise like that down the country roads, feeling and hearing the soft power pulses.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Try channeling Ben Spies.
I actually got to race against him in the good old days. Met his mom and been to their house. One of my racer friends was dating her, lol. Pretty cool to see him on TV now.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
I have gotten as much as 47MPG from my SHawk at 60MPH on the highway for 100 miles, trying for max MPG's. I usually get 30-35MPG depending on how much time it sees on the highway. Last fillup was after a 112 mile hyper-speed blast out to Dallas and back, averaging 90-100MPH, with runs well over that, and it got 35 MPG. I was a little amazed.
Do you have a SpeedoHealer on yours? Have you dropped a tooth on the rear sprocket?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

Nope nope. My odo is spot on, GPS checked, my speedo is ~5-8% fast. 100 miles is 100 miles. 64MPH shown is about 60MPH actual. I usually don't pay much attention to my speed, so I prefer to know my actual mileage. Stock gearing, stock lean jetting, open baffles on stock pipes. At slower speeds and slow engine speeds, I usually have to pull my choke out to cruise without the lean cough. One of these days I'll bump up the jetting, but I'm living with it fine for now.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Squid

Carolinaboy is on a distinguished road
I feel the same way about my Superhawk. Smiles for days once the rain cleared out for a few days. I love these bikes. I had been searching for about a year for a bike that would be a daily driver for me. I was looking for fun and reliability. I had 3 friends with Superhawks and after riding one around a few times, I became a believer. Welcome to the club!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Your mileage will likely improve as you have ridden the bike for a while, lol. I stopped twisting the Hell out of the throttle every time I ride it after I put about 3000 miles on it. I actually like the casual way it rides between 2500 & 3500 too. Kinda relaxing to cruise like that down the country roads, feeling and hearing the soft power pulses.

I've put 14k on mine, if anything it's gotten worse...Actually the gas mileage got really bad once I had the forks re-valved and put the shock on it and did some track days...once you're comfortable with what the bike can do its tough not to twist the throttle regularly