General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Got a free pass from the Moto Gods

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:56 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Got a free pass from the Moto Gods

I want to fully understand what happened and why. I really want to learn from this as I never want to come close to this on the street again.
Just finishing an S turn to the left and I encounter a radar trap (no indication of radar signal, but going fast enough to get noticed). I'm still leaned over some just past the apex, I over react a bit and get on the front brakes a little too abruptly. Apparently not hard enough to low side, but I'm not really conscious of everything as it was happening, although I do remember the tire(s) howling. The bike then instantly stands up and I get a very scary tank slapper. I really thought I was going to go down. I did not, the cop must have been looking elsewhere so I got to go home and wash my pants.
I drove by a little latter that morning and there was a 5' long skid mark right where the fun started.
So after thinking about it for a day and a half I've concluded that I was on the rear brake (too hard) and locked the rear wheel, the rear stepped out and when I regained traction I almost high sided. Does analysis sound right?
The other question is about the strange marks on the front tire. I'm guessing they are a result of the tank slapper. I think I should check the wheel alignment. This is new to me so tell me what you think. The tire is rubbed pretty good leading up to a faint patch of red (I'm guessing Italian Red), two cuts with a thin tag of rubber on one of them, followed by a silvery smear. It is on the left side of the front tire. Did the tire and forks flex enough to make contact? Like I said I want to learn from this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Got a free pass from the Moto Gods-front-tire.jpg
Old 07-02-2014, 04:47 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Great job hanging on to it!
Old 07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Squid

quillinsmat is on a distinguished road
i'm no expert but that sure looks like a paint smear to me. Is there any marking on the inside of your fender?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:48 AM
Squid of the Year
Squid

Jonar is on a distinguished road
well it seems you didnt get over your chicken strip, so my guess is cold tires (?) and some sharp weight shifting (S turn and hard braking). With these marks on the front tire I dont think you locked the rear, there are many ways the rear can step out, locking -imho- is by far the most controllable and memorable. Looks like the front lost traction first, then regained, resulting in the tank slap.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by quillinsmat
i'm no expert but that sure looks like a paint smear to me. Is there any marking on the inside of your fender?
I've looked under the fender but can't see any marks. I pretty sure there is, but will have to remove the fender for a good look. Seems clear that the tire rubbed on the fork and fender. Curious about what moved enough to cause it. I don't have enough experience to have seen such before. I'm guessing that when the wheel was full lock right the force on the tire compressed the right fork leg enough for contact to happen.

Originally Posted by Jonar
well it seems you didnt get over your chicken strip, so my guess is cold tires (?) and some sharp weight shifting (S turn and hard braking). With these marks on the front tire I dont think you locked the rear, there are many ways the rear can step out, locking -imho- is by far the most controllable and memorable. Looks like the front lost traction first, then regained, resulting in the tank slap.
You are right. This is what I initially thought because of the really poor brake application and the resulting sound from the tire. I figured that if I locked the front that badly I would have washed out the front and low sided. I guess not. The tires should have been warm enough as I had been riding for almost an hour. I need to get a lot better at brake control under
surprise situations. I need to work on the forks as well.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

Sticky caliper piston(s)? Wouldn't think you'd grab that much front brake. Check over that bike thoroughly
Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jerryh
Sticky caliper piston(s)? Wouldn't think you'd grab that much front brake. Check over that bike thoroughly
Well you wouldn't think so but I am really a novice rider. I read and study riding techniques and practice them. I try not ride too far above my skill set but in a surprise situation I'm still not there.
I don't think that the caliper is to blame. I have been practicing hard braking (straight line) from speed trying to develop feel for impending lock-up and the brakes feel like they are functioning normally. That's good advice and worth a check. I also am going to check the wheel/fork alignment.
I want to do some track days.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You were on the rear brake mid corner? I would stop that practice.

Is your bike stock? Is there anything else to rub against at full lock and bottomed out?

You can for sure lock the front and keep going. I have done it often. The trick is to form the habit of doing a grab and release of the front brake to let it regrab.

And moto gods? If its truth you seek, then I would be thanking the one true God.

I would check tire pressure. Hard tires slide much easier. The hardest trick in riding is NOT tensing up in these moments. Stay loose on the bike and avoid harsh inputs (including chopping the throttle). Counter intuitive but vital to stay upright.
Sounds like you coulda slid both ends. You should avoid that too.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You were on the rear brake mid corner? I would stop that practice.

Is your bike stock? Is there anything else to rub against at full lock and bottomed out?

You can for sure lock the front and keep going. I have done it often. The trick is to form the habit of doing a grab and release of the front brake to let it regrab.

And moto gods? If its truth you seek, then I would be thanking the one true God.

I would check tire pressure. Hard tires slide much easier. The hardest trick in riding is NOT tensing up in these moments. Stay loose on the bike and avoid harsh inputs (including chopping the throttle). Counter intuitive but vital to stay upright.
Sounds like you coulda slid both ends. You should avoid that too.
Thanks for the input Joe.
The turn is gradual enough that at the speed I was going, 70+/- there is no need to brake. The only time I use a small amount rear brake is just before applying the front to help keep the rear from jacking up as much. It is a technique that is suggested in a book by Nick Ienatsch. He does state that the use of this method is controversial.
Since I have had time to think this out, and the feed back I've received, it seems unlikely in the panic situation I put my self in I would have even touched the rear brake at all. I think that I just jerked the front lever. That simple. Smooth I was not. I feel very fourtunate not have crashed, especially right in front of the local LEO.
I appreciate the input. It has helped sort this out in my head.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
regardless of the reasons why it happened, there is no way there is enough give inbetween the wheel and the fender to rub like that, especially on a worn tire. Check your front bearing, check spacers, check everything that bolts together in the front and make sure it's right. I checked mine after looking at that picture, and have more than 1/2" of space. Plus, forks compress above the fender and wouldn't change there space. Especially on the side like that, it looks like it might be a spacing issue which would make me start with anything related to that front axle. Please look over it thoroughly...I'm sure that was scary as hell.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by ChikinLady1011
regardless of the reasons why it happened, there is no way there is enough give inbetween the wheel and the fender to rub like that, especially on a worn tire. Check your front bearing, check spacers, check everything that bolts together in the front and make sure it's right. I checked mine after looking at that picture, and have more than 1/2" of space. Plus, forks compress above the fender and wouldn't change there space. Especially on the side like that, it looks like it might be a spacing issue which would make me start with anything related to that front axle. Please look over it thoroughly...I'm sure that was scary as hell.
Bearings and spacers...great thought! Also hardware on upper and lower triple clamps
Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ChikinLady1011
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to pull the front wheel off and have look at all the components. Though the forks compress above the fender, if enough side force is applied to the tire/wheel the perpendicular relationship between the axle and fork would change because the forks can work independently, one would extend and the other would compress causing the wheel to be on a slightly different plane than the forks. That is my thinking on the rub marks. If that was the cause that is a lot of stress, so yeah I'll look at everything.

Originally Posted by RCVTR
You were lucky. Sometimes, when you get in over your head, you land on your head.

Like this, for instance:

http://asdfghjkl.me.uk/files/kid.mp4
That is funny. Ya got to know your limitations.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

Just a follow up.
While I was riding over to my shop to pull the wheel off and inspect, I noticed that the alignment marks on the yoke and frame were out.
I don't have V blocks or a dial indicator so I had to eyeball the runout on the axle. Not very precise as spec is .20 mm. Nothing obvious there. No marks on the axle or spacers. Put the wheel on my balancer to check run out on the wheel (made a makeshift indicator) that showed to be near perfect. Without a dial indicator I have no value, but I would say that the whole assembly is still in spec. The rub marks on the tire were from the fender alone. It was about 3" along the outside edge.
Reset the the steering alignment and went for a ride. The feel in the bars seemed to be more neutral. This could just be placebo effect as the bike always feels faster and smoother after an oil change, detailing, new turn signals, etc.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM
MotoGP

Good old placebos. I need some of those.

Chalk it up to hamfistedness and apply the brakes smoother next time. Always be ready to release the lever. It can really save you.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Good advice here. After getting back on a bike after a decade on 4 wheels, I notice I have a bad habit of grabbing too much front brake. Being an uncoordinated slob, I have to force myself to practice the old gentle squeeze.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 PM
MotoGP

FYI, the point is that a tire will take twice the load if the load is gradual. You can kick a tire sideways but would not be able to push it.

As you apply brake,(front) the front end loads up and thus has more available traction (way more).

When you hamfist it, you can lock it cuz very little weight has transfered so little traction.

Same goes in cornering.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

Why then even post a snuff video that is in such bad taste? A fellow biker suffers a huge loss and you procreate that evil by posting it? Thats just really bad kharma. Good luck with that.

I wont even watch crash vids since there are things you can't un-see. You will reproduce that in your head on some dark rainy night instead of correct riding.

Ask yourself why you would watch those & try to come up with a good answer. It train-wreck lowest common denominator trash.

Watch world superbike to see it done at amazing levels. Then you will reproduce that since that positivity fills your head.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:03 AM
Squid of the Year
Squid

Jonar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Thanks for the input Joe.
The turn is gradual enough that at the speed I was going, 70+/- there is no need to brake. The only time I use a small amount rear brake is just before applying the front to help keep the rear from jacking up as much. It is a technique that is suggested in a book by Nick Ienatsch. He does state that the use of this method is controversial.
Since I have had time to think this out, and the feed back I've received, it seems unlikely in the panic situation I put my self in I would have even touched the rear brake at all. I think that I just jerked the front lever. That simple. Smooth I was not. I feel very fourtunate not have crashed, especially right in front of the local LEO.
I appreciate the input. It has helped sort this out in my head.

Jokes aside, if you like to read/watch and learn, watch this http://goo.gl/kwAQj3
Old 07-09-2014, 11:59 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
It's gone.

Now go out there and be invincible! Take those skills you learned by watching WSB and put them to good use on the street.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:03 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I wont even watch crash vids since there are things you can't un-see. You will reproduce that in your head on some dark rainy night instead of correct riding.
I only watch videos of fish. My goal is to breathe underwater by the time I'm 60. I should also probably watch videos of people turning 60 so I cover all my bases.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
MotoGP

I joke.

Just not about motorcycling.

Its deadly serious.

This attitude has logged me huge miles in all conditions. Gotta play the game in a way that lets you keep playing.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:04 PM
SuperBike

Agreed.

But I believe that cognizance of the possibility of crashing and the unexpected needs to always be there, when street riding. Panic braking midcorner will not end well, most of the time.

The problem is, confidence increases at a higher rate than experience. So it takes a great deal of self-discipline.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

Confidence (read; faith) is the only thing that lets you ride a bike in the first place.

Leaning into a corner is not natural. It is learned faith.

Statisticly, most crashes come from losing your nerve, not actul loss of traction or control (until after you panic).

I have watched hundreds of crashes on the racetrack (no choice they happened in front of me or I was in them). Almost all came from panic locking up the front wheel. Rarely does someone lose outright traction.

Rider confidence failure causes erratic inputs that upset the chassis. The bike knows what to do, you screw up its inertia.

I locked the front at speed many times but really you can "save it on your knee" if you have one thing.

Confidence.

Bailing out causes crashes.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

Sand also causes crashes, due to a loss of traction. BTDT. Didn't react. Don't remember a thing about it. Regained consciousness just before being loaded in to the helicopter. Should have been going slower, because it had been a very long day in the saddle and I was tired. But the group wanted to go fast.

You are right about confidence. The questions are: How will you react to something unexpected? Do you have enough experience to calmly hold or correct your line? Or will you stiffen, stand the bike up and grab the brake?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

"The samurai embraces death, and therefore death fleas from him"

Kinda the same on a bike.

Yeah, if you are tired you should ramp it down. Knowing your limitaions etc.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:06 PM
SuperBike

There you have it Xeris:
You just need to ride like your invincible. And so it shall be.

I hope it helps you and all the other young riders.