General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Giving back - new carb removal/cleaning post

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Giving back - new carb removal/cleaning post

Hey Everyone,

You all have been hugely helpful to me in getting my new hawk up to snuff, and I'd like to give something back. I was thinking of volunteering to write a new carb removal/cleaning post with a focus on pictures and advice on planning ahead, including "optional but recommended" steps.

There is already a carb removal sticky in technical and it's good, it helped me a lot. But I think it could be better particularly in the "thinking ahead" department - and it has no pictures.

My thought was that I would basically follow the service manual, giving color pictures where it has B&W's, and adding a couple along the way that I think it should have.

Do other people think this is worthwhile? Or does everyone think the sticky one is good enough and I should direct my efforts elsewhere?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I looked it up and saw that Greg (Hawkrider) did that sticky. He always does an excellent job of explaining things, and I, and I'm sure many others, consider him the Forum Guru. But I'd say go for it.

I'm a visual learner myself. I prefer manuals with photos/illustrations when available.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 AM
Squid

cnw126 is on a distinguished road
Do it!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you want to take pics I can add notations and arrows and insert them into my writeup. No need reinventing the wheel, but making one just a little more round always helps.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Squid
Squid

Torque Junkie is on a distinguished road
Puts lots of "Warning, use extreme caution around crappy choke plastic pieces that thread to metal bodies at high stress point areas" in the thread.

I love write ups that give you the OEM parts #s pieces when you order from Honda, so you are not at the mercy of the people at the busy parts counter with their parts catalogs and bad attitudes. Saves a lot of time and frustration when ordering.

Any body know the parts # for 48 Pilot jets BTW?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
there's such a wide divergence of skills among us-some need only a brief guide while others need pics, explanations, details, and take nothing for granted descriptions. Sometimes those who have recently gone through the learning process make the best teachers in terms of helping the uninitiated. Personally I'd rather have too much detail than not enough because it's always amazing what you can learn.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Being in the Navy helps with learning to write procedures. You have to make them idiot-proof. People will do EXACTLY what you tell them to do, and that can be dangerous at times.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Back Marker

JDRiderCoach is on a distinguished road
Damn and I was hoping this post already had all the pics and instructions. My vote is to publish it!