General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

AMA...would you join ?

Old 11-19-2009, 01:19 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
AMA...would you join ?

If they would do something worthwhile, I would definitely?

Sent this to the AMA via their website.

Did you ever consider using your congressional influence to do something significant for all motorcyclists?

I.E., petition states/draft legislation to change road repair policies which blatantly discriminate against anyone on two wheels. Tar and chip leaves debris on roads, tar sealing lines and paints cause slippery road surfaces, signal lights aren't activated by motorcycles are some of the man-made conditions that seriously compromise safe riding. If these were problems for other vehicles in terms of safety, they would certainly be eliminated. Why doesn't the AMA feel compelled to act on critical needs that would undoubtedly save countless lives,injuries,and damages suffered by your membership and all motorcyclists?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
well i certainly dont think it will hurt, but i doubt the general public gives a damn about our saftey.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
I was talking to an a.b.a.t.e. member at a recent rally about what they do. They are kind of a part of AMA, as they try to fight for Motorcyclists rights. Look up abate in wikipedia and your local area probably has a chapter close to you. From what i can tell, they have political figures, lawyers and the like on board to help fight for our rights. While i dont really agree about one of thier main concers (helmet laws, as im pro-helmet) i think what they do is pretty cool. They go to bat for thier members and show up in court with them also.

As far as what you wrote them, asking how you could help in the road maintenance department would probably go farther than "why dont you take care of the roads"
Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its the only group that is doing anything for motorcyclist that I know of. Its hard to measure what they do, because a lot of it is resisting further infringement on things that are of concern to us. I think without some voice/lobby/representation it would be worse. I'm a member.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:23 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I've been a member for fifteen years. Partly because of what is being discussed here, but mostly because it is required to race motocross. And without the AMA I am pretty the sport wouldn't exhist at the amature level.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
If you don't join the AMA, you can also become a part of the Honda Rider's Club for $39.99 a year. They used to have a towing service with this but it has been dropped in the last couple of years. They support the AMA with their donations.

I used to join the HRC every year, but without the roadside assistance it is worth nothing anymore. Why would I pay $40 for a quarterly magazine (I think) to see how Honda is doing.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
MotoGP

Mike996 wrote:
As far as what you wrote them, asking how you could help in the road maintenance department would probably go farther than "why dont you take care of the roads"[/QUOTE]

Relative to the above, You may be correct. I'm not inclined toward the politically correct/nice way to express my opinion so as not to offend anyone's hyper-sensitivity esp when this is something so blatantly objectionable that it should have been addressed years ago. I'm sure many of the AMA principals ride motorcycles and travel the same roads we do, so didn't they think of this?

PA is one of the worst for road care in my experience(I've been in every contiguous state many times as a trucker). I don't mind the tar and chip method, just roll it and clean up the left over gravel when your done. I don't mind the hot tar to fill the cracks to to make the surface last longer, just make it a little traction friendly. I don't mind them patching holes, just don't create speed bumps, and generally quit using repair methods that can and do put motorcyclists into unsafe situations. Not too much more expensive, just a matter of upping your repair standards for road safety a bit, saving some motorcyclists lives/injuries, and basically doing the right thing. Creating road hazards for two wheelers is a discriminatory practice that should be stopped yesterday.

I will check out ABATE. Thanks!

Last edited by nath981; 11-19-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Im a member, mainly for the roadside assistance
Old 11-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nath981
I will check out ABATE. Thanks!

Oh, i understood and supported what you were saying, what i meant was they might respond better to you if you came to them in a different manner was all. I have family south of Pittsburgh, and the last time i was there, the roads were horrible for even cars to drive on, and that was probably 10 years ago. So theres no excuse for them to still be that way today.

I wonder If the AMA would have to contact city officials to try to get the ball rolling. Isnt it already our tax dollars that are supposed to pay for these roads anyways? I was riding down our local interstate today (I-20), and the joints and filler in the road literally had me bouncing off of my seat several times on my lunch run. Doing 70 mph and being lifted off your seat sucks...

I believe you have just inspired me to contact my congressman and the local ABATE office to ask them about this.

Last edited by Mike996; 11-19-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
I was talking to an a.b.a.t.e. member at a recent rally about what they do. They are kind of a part of AMA......

AMA and ABATE are completely separate entities.

Both organizations are concerned with motorcyclist rights.

Rex
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
The AMA had a hotline set up for reporting bad cases of "tar snakes", and would work with state DOT's to try and remedy them. Don't know what happened with that.

While the AMA has been very vocal about the noise issue, "loud pipes risk rights" campaign, ABATE tends to believe in loud pipes and no helmets.

ABATE has done some good work on the education and awareness fronts, but it's hard for some government types to take a group seriously when their name is "American Bikers Against Totalitarian Enactments". I'd join, but I'm not a "Biker".

another group forming is www.smarter-usa.org, which is for riders who believe in ATGATT.

dale, 15 year AMA member
Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure on the figures but the AMA is like 300,000 members. That includes all competitors who must be a member to race. Take out the racers and there just aren't that many riders in the AMA. H.O.G. has over a million members without racers. The AMA just isn't a very big lobby.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
If you don't need a racing license, the AMA is a waste of money. The National Rifle Association has four MILLION members, none of whom need an NRA license for anything, 'cause they know that warts and all, the NRA fights for their rights.

The Asshats who run the AMA would rather scold and disparage riders for having "loud pipes" than fight for their rights. ASSHATS!

It's all pretty hilarious really. While I agree with AMA's position against mandatory helmet laws, about 99% of the guys who insist on riding without helmets are the same guys who have "loud pipes"! The AMA is a joke. If it disappeared tomorrow, something of real value might appear in its place.

Last edited by RK1; 11-19-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
+1

Since I don't race, I've never seen things coming from AMA that's been of any value to me. Other groups such as ABATE are far more politically active at the local and state level, where it's noticed by me.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:40 AM
MotoGP

sent this to ABATE this morning. Anyone who wants to use it to send is welcome to copy/paste, edit, whatever:

Will you consider using your congressional influence to do something critically significant for the safety of all motorcyclists?

That is, to draft legislation designed to alter road repair practices that blatantly discriminate against operators of two wheel vehicles.

Specifically, tar and chip repair methods leave dangerous debris on roads, tar sealing lines and paints create oft hidden slippery road surfaces, partial lane repairs characterized by linear uneven surfaces that destabilize motorcycle tires are some of the adverse conditions that seriously compromise safe riding.

The tar and chip method is likely a cost effective road repair strategy, however there is the need to roll and clean up the left over gravel in lieu of leaving dangerous debris that create unsafe conditions for motorcyclists.

Hot tar to fill cracks works well to prevent moisture penetration; however this slippery surface needs to be traction friendly so as to ensure a uniform tractable surface across the entire lane.

Partial lane repairs that create uneven linear surfaces destabilize motorcycle tires causing headshake/wobble and often forces motorcyclists to be restricted to narrow segments of their lane need to be eliminated.

Revised road repair methods need not be cost prohibitive, rather just a matter of improving road repair standards for safety, saving lives/injuries, and basically is a matter of morally doing the right thing. Creating road hazards for two wheelers in the process of road repair is blatantly a discriminatory practice that should be changed now.

I believe there is basically a failure to understand how two wheel vehicles differ significantly from other vehicles in the way they need to use their lane to travel safely. The differences in conditions that affect traction/stability and how motorcycles utilize the center of the lane (unlike all other vehicles and therefore unique) could be discussed at length, but any motorcyclist knows all too well what they have to do to cope with the hazards of the aforementioned dangerous road repair practices. If these adverse conditions posed safety concerns for other vehicle types, they would certainly have been addressed and eliminated by now. A.B.A.T.E. should feel compelled to act on these critical needs now since they could undoubtedly save countless lives, injuries, and damages suffered by your membership and indeed all motorcyclists who travel PA highways.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Did they respond back at all?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NCDave
Did they respond back at all?
Response from ABATE:

ABATE of PA has approached PennDOT on several occasions about the tar and chip road repair problem. The answer has always been the same. This is a cost effective road repair and with the state budget as tight as it is they foresee no change to that practice.

Another part of the problem it depends on who the road belongs to as to who is responsible for cleanup etc. Could be a township road, etc. One thing that may or may not help, ABATE of PA now has on its website (abatepa.org) a form which can be printed out and mailed to us to be forwarded to PennDOT. We have been given the job of reporting hazardous road conditions that exist for motorcycles by their safety council. There is also a phone number you can call to report dangerous conditions. If enough people call about a particular area they may hopefully take action.

We do not have much Congressional influence (national). We support the American Motorcyclists Association and the Motorcycle Riders Foundation who basically address federal issues.

Charles
Old 11-21-2009, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

Lame-*** response. We need a serious lobbyist group like big Pharma or AIPAC to get them to take action.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately those serious lobby groups are driven by serious $$$...
Old 11-21-2009, 09:04 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its funny reading this. look at the number of groups mentioned. the ama, probably the biggest of the groups is a relatively small group. bottom line in anything political is numbers and a unified group are the only ways to get attendion. I forget how many motorcyclists there are in the US right now, a few million I believe. and making rationalizations for not joining doesn't help the cause. it is the single group doing the most right now. if more would join and get involved instead of making excuses to save your $39 a year it could be a lot better organization.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:37 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife has been a member for almost 3 years, and I feel that she represents both of us. At least they give motorcyclists some kind of voice, so we'll support them with one membership anyway.

As far a road repair goes, it's almost always a money issue. In Orange County, California the roads are decently maintained, but we also ride a fair amount in San Diego, which has terrible roads and surface streets with front wheel swallowing potholes. San Diego has also been on the verge of bankruptcy for the last several years, and they say they have no money for street repair/repaving.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:06 PM
MotoGP

20 million people out of work, the economy needs a kick in the ***, and we have O'Bummer giving all our money to the wealthy criminals. We need another Roosevelt in there to get the CCC camps going again.

I haven't been in Europe since I was as kid, but I watched some motorcyclists touring Italy, and it looks like I want to ride over there.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:28 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
MRF

I'm a lifer AMA member but have been very disappointed both with their "rights" efforts and of course their racing side. ABATE has done some good things but I've never been a member. If you are interested in an org that has been working on road construction safety too (as the AMA also has, and is something that is not a new and been an ongoing initiative), go to http://mrf.org/. Since the 1980's they have not so quietly been doing as much or more as anyone for motorcyclist "rights".
Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
How did this happen?

I'm a lifer AMA member but have been very disappointed both with their "rights" efforts and of course their racing side. ABATE has done some good things but I've never been a member. If you are interested in an org that has been working on road construction safety too (as the AMA also has, and is something that is not a new and been an ongoing initiative), go to http://mrf.org/. Since the 1980's they have not so quietly been doing as much or more as anyone for motorcyclist "rights".
Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
How did this happen?

do do yyyyoooou stutter aaaalot??

The mrf sounds better to me. We'll see what they have to say? thanks.

Last edited by nath981; 11-21-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse
AMA and ABATE are completely separate entities.

Both organizations are concerned with motorcyclist rights.

Rex

Right, but ABATE supports the AMA, which is almost one in the same. Asking a motorcycle rights group to help fix the road isnt the route i would have taken. I think the person that helps decide where our tax dollas go would have been a better influence. Ask your congressman why the roads are a bunch of crap. Write your local news and ask them to do a story on the crappy roads. Our local news had someone write in about the route i take to work, and they in turn asked the city what was up. The city came back and said that if there was an issue, they needed to know where the problem was and they would handle it... this was more for potholes and uneven surfaces rather than tar and chip issues, but at least it was acted upon... ya know? Then again, ive been drinkin tonight, so donjt mind me!
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the tip on the MRF. I hadn't heard of them, but it's good to know that an organization exists that supports street riders exclusively. I'll look into it.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

Hey Mike...
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

Just sent a letter off to MRF. Will report.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Hey Mike...
Sup homie!

A little 7 & 7 to make the night pass by... what you drinkin on?

Last edited by Mike996; 11-25-2009 at 07:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AMA...would you join ?