SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Giving back - new carb removal/cleaning post (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/giving-back-new-carb-removal-cleaning-post-20742/)

avramd 11-12-2009 09:13 PM

Giving back - new carb removal/cleaning post

Hey Everyone,

You all have been hugely helpful to me in getting my new hawk up to snuff, and I'd like to give something back. I was thinking of volunteering to write a new carb removal/cleaning post with a focus on pictures and advice on planning ahead, including "optional but recommended" steps.

There is already a carb removal sticky in technical and it's good, it helped me a lot. But I think it could be better particularly in the "thinking ahead" department - and it has no pictures.

My thought was that I would basically follow the service manual, giving color pictures where it has B&W's, and adding a couple along the way that I think it should have.

Do other people think this is worthwhile? Or does everyone think the sticky one is good enough and I should direct my efforts elsewhere?

VTRsurfer 11-12-2009 09:42 PM

I looked it up and saw that Greg (Hawkrider) did that sticky. He always does an excellent job of explaining things, and I, and I'm sure many others, consider him the Forum Guru. But I'd say go for it.

I'm a visual learner myself. I prefer manuals with photos/illustrations when available.

cnw126 11-13-2009 02:47 AM

Do it!

Krista 11-24-2009 06:45 PM

Giving back new carb removal/cleaning post

post up a video lesson on here so we can see how you do. im sure you or someone you know has a camera you could use. i just think that would be a better way than saying this is what i can do. show us. and use that video as a way to pick up new students. good luck sir.

Hawkrider 11-26-2009 09:15 AM

If you want to take pics I can add notations and arrows and insert them into my writeup. No need reinventing the wheel, but making one just a little more round always helps.

Torque Junkie 11-26-2009 10:04 AM

Puts lots of "Warning, use extreme caution around crappy choke plastic pieces that thread to metal bodies at high stress point areas" in the thread.

I love write ups that give you the OEM parts #s pieces when you order from Honda, so you are not at the mercy of the people at the busy parts counter with their parts catalogs and bad attitudes. Saves a lot of time and frustration when ordering.

Any body know the parts # for 48 Pilot jets BTW?

nath981 12-02-2009 06:55 AM

there's such a wide divergence of skills among us-some need only a brief guide while others need pics, explanations, details, and take nothing for granted descriptions. Sometimes those who have recently gone through the learning process make the best teachers in terms of helping the uninitiated. Personally I'd rather have too much detail than not enough because it's always amazing what you can learn.

Hawkrider 12-02-2009 07:48 PM

Being in the Navy helps with learning to write procedures. You have to make them idiot-proof. People will do EXACTLY what you tell them to do, and that can be dangerous at times.

JDRiderCoach 12-03-2009 06:42 AM

Damn and I was hoping this post already had all the pics and instructions. My vote is to publish it!