fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Squid

seanvtr is on a distinguished road
fork swap

I have chance of some cheap 2004 zx6r fors and clamps

Could i make these fir?
Could i use my stock wheel and get some spacers made?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Probably not the best choice. Look for a set of CBR929, CBR954 or CBR1000RR forks instead. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by seanvtr
Could i make these fir?
Could i use my stock wheel and get some spacers made?
If you have use of a machine shop and plenty of time yes, or if you are willing to spend more $ paying someone to make the mods/parts necessary than a easy swap set would cost.. then the answer is yes.

But they won't bolt right on directly.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
OK, first of all, noone has said they tried it. AND, these are similar to the answer about the GSXR front I just did.

Here's my advice, do the research. Are they the forks the correct length? Is the steering stem the correct length? Can you get bearings that will fit the steering head and the steering stem?

I called ALL ***** Racing, and it turns out that they made steering head bearings that worked. One was machined by them, the other was stock. I measured the stock steering stem and the GSXR steering stem and they were the same.

As to the stock wheel. Don't even bother, if you do a swap, use all of the donor manufacturer parts. Then you know that they will fit. My entire front is Suzuki: triple trees, forks, wheel, rotors and calipers. There was no guessing on whether it fit or not.

GO TAKE MEASUREMENTS. THEN YOU WILL KNOW IF IT WILL WORK. You will also need to research the steering geometry.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Squid

the yoke stem is 240mm long from the rubber seal on the bottom to the top of the thread. If you measure from the top of the bearing (the bottom bearing) to the top of the thread the measurement is 225mm.

Any one have any idea
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Safest thing would be to sell them and get a front-end that is a more typical transplant... There are a lot of things to consider with a transplant -- fork legs, offset, steering block compatibility, width of the tree, bearing inside and outside diameter, etc... what are you planning for clocks? Will hoses and cables still work? Will the clip ons hit the tank? Will you need to get new springs, since the Kwak is probably 80lbs lighter? (Probably.)

Why re-invent the wheel? Just sell this stuff on Ebay and get a CBR1000RR or RC51 front end. It will likely be a wash financially and you can find recipes here that give step-by-step instructions on using those front ends. Anything else and you will need to do some level of customization yourself.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM
SuperBike

"Why re-invent the wheel?"

Someone did before us, and are still doing it. Who was the first to think that the 900RR swap was possible, then the 929/954, the RC-51, and then the 1000RR. Nevermind the ease of a GSX-R600 swap or the GSX-R1000 swap that someone else did.

Why do it? Thinking outside the box is satisfying. Doing something that people say can't be done, it's satisfying.

Why make our bikes into nakeds? Why put RC-51 fairings on them? R-6 Raven tail section? 1000RR tail section? VFR swingarm? Instrument clusters? Velocity stacks? Marchesini or equivalent wheels?

Have I made my point?

Crashrat, is it safe to assume that your SH is 100% stock? If not, why did you re-invent the wheel? Didn't Honda do it well enough for you?

Seanvtr, I have my stock triple at home, I will try to remember to get a measurement for you. Meanwhile, call Alex at All ***** Racing and find out about bearings. He has the Inner Diameter and Outer Diameter measurements for each of the bearings and will be able to tell you if they will fit or not, or if there is a custom bearing available.

Find out the steering angles for the Kawi and compare them to the SH.

OR, you can be a sheeple, find a RC-51 or 954 front end, and do a swap. If you enjoy the chase, and the education that you get from it, then find out if the Kawi front will work.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
SuperSport

Look, I’ve done front-end swaps the easy way and front-end swaps the hard way. The easy way has worked, the hard way…? Not always so well.

So when suggesting something like this to people I always ask, what will this person get by doing this the hard way that he or she won’t by doing it the easy way?

Aside from bike-geek bragging rights – Look I’m the first one to mount this front end to this outdated bike! – I’d say not much. That is, 99.99% of the public won’t view your bike any differently and unless you’re riding at the very bleeding edge and are replacing items with the best, top-shelf items (which I doubt is the case with this front end) you won’t notice a huge difference.

In this case, it seems to me that seanvtr is using these parts because he has them on hand. In suggesting he sell them to get an easier swap, I don’t think I’m squashing an artistic / design itch he has. I think he’s making do and it makes sense that rather than going through the entire process to find out at the end that his steering blocks won’t line up and he has to weld the headstock or jerry a screw in there somehow, he just sell them and get something that’s an easy match.

We’re not talking about turbo charging the bike or adding some interesting quirky flair – say a SSS, hub-centered steering forks or EVEN a Buell front end with those weirdo inboard brakes -- that appeals to him artistically. We’re talking about forks. Forks. How much energy have you put in the idea that using different forks somehow shows that you’re an individual? Personally, I think that’s just stupid.

Have I made my point?

Let me put it another way: I don’t think seanvtr saw these forks and fell in love with the idea of mounting them on a SH. I don’t think he has some inner vision showing him what his bike would look like with these forks on it. I doubt that he’s photoshopped his bikes with this front end on it, trying out different combinations. I think he just wants to upgrade his friggin bike.

Can you grok that idea man or are you so invested in being different for difference sake that the idea of improving your bike seems irrelevant?

I resent being called a sheeple because I don’t think mounting oddball forks on this bike is a good idea. I’ll go further and say the dullest, most unoriginal people I have met do the stupidest things to try to prove how “out there” and original they are. I have seen literally thousands of stupid **** choppers that test this theory out.

I would sell these and get something that transplants easier and, you know, save my creative energies for the really daring stuff like deciding to go with non-synthetic oil. That would really buck the system.

Last edited by Crashrat; 07-19-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Uh... Guy's... There a middle way here...

In Erik's defence though Crashrat, if it wheren't for him, we wouldn't know that the GSXR forks work as easily as they actually do... And if it wherent't for the first nutcase that decided to try the 922/954 triples, we wouldn't know that worked either... And if it wasn't for me and hawxter996 getting the crasy idea that an SP2 swingarm should fit on the VTR, we wouldn't know that it actually does... Then the hottest upgrade would still be 900RR forks and a welded on 900RR brace... If nobody tries, nobody finds out...

So there really is a middle ground... Do the research first... Then decide if it's worth a try... But who am I to ruin a good argument...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-19-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I guess that makes me Capt. Sheeple as I have a RC51 front end and a 900rr brace on the swingarm.....lol but at least the front is stuffed with Ohlins bits so I get a couple of extra points for that
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 PM
SuperSport

I think it’s cool when people have a vision of something and figure out a way to make it work. That’s not the case here and even if it was, I don’t think it’s exactly adult to call someone a sheeple because he or she decides to go with a proven fix. Apart from the dude who created his own frame, we’re all working within a framework.

You want to be interesting? Build a bike without a front wheel. That would impress me.

Do we all have to whip it out and measure up how “individualistic” we are because we made these critical choices between a CBR1000RR front end vs a GSXR front end? Does it make you more interesting because you have a more unusual front-end? Really? That doesn’t sound just a little stupid to you, Tweety?

This isn’t about Eric; it’s about Seanvtr. For most of us, just swapping out a front end is challenging enough and I guess I don’t see anything in Seanvtr’s 11 posts to suggest he’s looking for some big challenge or that he’s in love with the ZX6R forks.

Why exactly should Seanvtr go with the front end he has? After piecemealing the rims, brakes, spacers, hoses, cables, etc… together he will have spent more than if he sold what he had and got a CBR unit, so there has to be some very compelling reason I’m not reading here for Eric to think he has to take a different path. Right?

This is with all due respect to Eric as a mechanic or whatever. I have no doubt he's a better wrench than I am. He just gave lousy advice and was sort of a jerk. It's not like I've always been Mr. sunshine.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 PM
SuperSport

Original thinking here. Surprising how little praise it got:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=23171
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well for me the biggest deciding factor in my advice is that he asked about using the front wheel off the VTR.

That is what would really make it a pricey and or time consuming exercise. If he were to buy a complete zx6 front end including wheel, rotors, brakes etc it might be worth trying. But attempting to put the VTR wheel on the USD forks is more work than he is probably expecting, yes it can be done, but is it worth the effort?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Crashrat
Do we all have to whip it out and measure up how “individualistic” we are because we made these critical choices between a CBR1000RR front end vs a GSXR front end? Does it make you more interesting because you have a more unusual front-end? Really? That doesn’t sound just a little stupid to you, Tweety?
Yes... Especially so since I'm not taking part in your little pissing contest...

So far though if I were to, you'd both lose considering my list of mods... if I where competing that is...

One thing to note here... Even if you go with a tried and true swap, it still takes a little know-how to pull it off... And a little skill with tools, so don't make it that black and white...

Originally Posted by Crashrat
He just gave lousy advice and was sort of a jerk. It's not like I've always been Mr. sunshine.
Well... He's jerk... And I'm a jerk... So I'll let the two of you sort that out...

But on the bad advice part... Eeeep! Dead wrong... Go back and read above your post... The advice he gave was spot on... Ie do the research first... if seanvtr has the option to get the parts ridiculously cheap and they will work... Why not?

The reply to you wasn't aimed as advice to seanvtr... You know that as well as the rest of us, and seanvtr knows it...

But... On the other side of the coin (remember, I'm not taking sides here, as I actually agree with some points you made as well...) ...

There is nothing wrong at all with copying a known good idea... I copied the CBR 1000RR fork swap straight off... But then added my own little touches...

How's that for sitting on the fence huh?!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
I rebuilt a set of 1995 ZX6R forks for a swap with a 1990 ZX6D. The R forks are fully adjustable cartridge forks (rebound, compression, preload) while the D forks are simple damper rod forks with no adjustment. The R forks are nice Showas, with a 41mm tube. If they do fit the SH, it would probable be a nice upgrade. I cannot comment on the valving or actual performance of the R forks, just how they are built, which is nice.

Hey Erik - did you ever get that windscreen?

JB

Last edited by residentg; 07-20-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
SuperSport

We're all jerks.

No pissing contest from me. You're all better mechanics, hands down.

From my perspective, this front-end would have to be better than free to make it worth my time. If I was going off the beaten track I would go with a Buell or Ducati Classic front-end... OR any other front-end that I was goo goo over. The extra time and effort to get it right (over a tried and true transplant) would have to be going towards something I consciously DESIRED, not something that was inexpensive or laying around.

But as I say, I concede. I've got no energy to argue the point.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

Actually the swap I'm still salivating over is an CBR Öhlins fork with an adjustable headstock... But that's bit expensive... In fact it's about twice the money my bike is worth...
Old 07-19-2010, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It would seem to me the biggest hurdle would be steering stem measurement and length. If it doesn't fit, you could have a stem machined (to required diameter and length) and have it pressed it. That way, none of the other critical measurements would be affected, allowing you to use the ZX wheel and spacers.

Take that for what it's worth as I am only running a 900RR front end and 900RR braced swingarm.....
Old 07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Is there collective agreement on what the "best" known front end swap is? I may tackle that this winter.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by residentg
Is there collective agreement on what the "best" known front end swap is? I may tackle that this winter.
I would say either a 954 or CBR1000 would be the best bet. I left out the RC51 as parts are getting pretty hard to find...... and believe me I know.....lol
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

As for outright performance, "best" at the moment will be a CBR 1000RR fork as it's a radial brake setup... Also heaviest stock spring/valve combo out of the box, so no need to beef that up unless you are a real heavyweight...

The closest competitor (or equal?) would be any GSXR of newer models with radial brakes as well... Now that we have the method figured out to stick that steering stem on the VTR, that opens it up a bit... I'm not sure what spring/valve weight they have though, so check that... Also depending on width you could have clearence problems with the fairings...

Both variations needs a full fork/wheel combo... And both need adjustable clip-ons like the Convertibars or similar...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:51 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, bikes are pretty sensitive to geometry. To throw in my 2 cents I have ridden ill-concieved franken-bikes. Honda has millions in R&D in the machines. Why put kawi parts on it just to potentially comprimise the whole machine? Every time you have a handling quirk you will wonder if you did the right thing. Let alone resale value. Try explaining that. I can tell you the 1000RR front end vastly improves the bike. I have been roadracing for 11 yrs so know at least a bit about how a sportbike handles. The only sane reason for the mod is to improve overall handling. Kawi stuff is way less likely to do that. I race kawis & suzukis & have never seen a competent racer transplant a front end from a different brand to go faster. (or go fast better). With all the techno savy that is sport bikes & race technology in the bike, do you want to start doing your own mix & match? Seems counter productive. Honda stuff tends to work together. All those engineers work towards common products. Just my long winded 2 cents. Being wacky for the sake of wacky is not good in a performance environment. Whats next a vetter fairing? Ape hangers?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:53 AM
SuperBike

You'll not get a pissing contest out of me.

I NEVER said I was a better wrench than anyone. You're inferring things that weren't said.

If you perceived that I was a jerk, then so be it, I know that I can't change your perception of me.

Bad advice? Nope, just advice.

GO TAKE MEASUREMENTS. THEN YOU WILL KNOW IF IT WILL WORK. You will also need to research the steering geometry.
If you enjoy the chase, and the education that you get from it, then find out if the Kawi front will work.
You, Crashrat, on the other hand, were quick to dismiss the idea that it might work. Gave it no thought what so ever, and told him to march straight down the easy road.

Sean DID ask if they would work, if the stock wheel would work. NOONE KNOWS. I merely suggested he take the measurements and determine if they did.

Crashrat, reread what I wrote. At no point did I call you a sheeple. Now if the shoe fits, then so be it. I backed up my statements, and so did Tweety. If it weren't for the people thinking outside the box and taking the measurements, YOU, CRASHRAT, would still be using all SH original equipment. There would be no F4i calipers, or RC-51/929/954/1000 forks, no radial brakes, no radial M/C, etc.

**** IT, you got me fired up. **** YOU. There, now at least i'm a jerk like you said.

**** YOU, GSX-R600 forks won't fit, I made up that story. **** YOU!

I really hate people sometimes, they can't read what's write in front of their face in black lettering on a blue background.

Read what's written. Don't infer anything, other than my **** you's, and you'll be fine.

See y'all next week. I'm not coming back for a bit. ******* retards who don't have a goddamn original thought, they just do what's done before. Thank you God for the inventors in the world who are willing to step out on a limb.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.

See y'all next week. I'm not coming back for a bit. ******* retards who don't have a goddamn original thought, they just do what's done before. Thank you God for the inventors in the world who are willing to step out on a limb.
You know I have tried to stay out of this but, even without knowing or meaning to, you sir have been quite insulting to me at least..... I guess I'm a ******* retard ( by your statement) as I did a swap that was done before, so I guess i don't have an original thought..... very poor form on your part....

So I guess I will just take my sheeple, retard *** out of this thread and mind my own business.......

Have a nice day.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 AM
WWTDD
Back Marker

Seattle_SuperHawk is on a distinguished road
so i guess i shouldnt even ask if a yamaha 660r raptor front end swap would be possible.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
**** YOU, GSX-R600 forks won't fit, I made up that story. **** YOU!
Really I thought you said they would work...... how are us poor sheeple supposed to know what to do now......

Then again, with your attitude, what's the point of this forum..... I mean it just makes people not think for themselves..... so I would have to infer that it's just a waste of time, but I'm just a retard so what do I know....

Carry on.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
If the guy wants to use Kawi forks and whatnot, let him. More power to him. But, as many others have said, IF he wants a proven swap that won't leave him wondering, he could use RC51/CBR/GSX-R parts and read others input. It's all up to this guy.

Hey Eric, since you're so fired up about it, how about YOU go take measurements for this guy, since it appears that he either hasn't done them or can't figure out what the measurements mean (I'm not trying to insult the guy, he just posted measurements and asked if they would work). Then YOU can be the wonderful inventor that you keep rambling about.

Or, just back away from the computer for a while.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Squid

Thanks for all replies..

I haven't bought the forks was just interested that's all

I have a fox twin clicker in the rear, and standard forks up front

the forks are way too soft spring wise, and the re-bound is vicious, there is no need for a fork swap.

The fork in the standard for are under sprung causing a really spongy affect at the top of the stroke, and the forks have a system that stops them bottoming of too harshly... causing the bottom of the stroke to be really harsh

So and ohlins spring to my weight, and a re-valve and they will be really good fork
after speaking to a friend who used to set up BSB machines

At the moment i have

Front- rider sag 36mm
Rear - shock length 518mm, static sag 505, rider sag 35mm

Last edited by seanvtr; 07-20-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM
SuperSport

Eric, with all do respect to your mechanical abilities, you’re acting like an *******. Or how about, “People who stamp their feet and run out of the room after they toss around insults and sling around “**** yous” are ********?” Not that I’m directly calling you an *******, understands. It’s just that the things you’re saying, well, they sound like something an ******* would say.

I don’t think I told Seanvtr he shouldn’t mod his bike. (Who am I to tell him what he should and shouldn’t do with his bike?) I said I thought this particular mod probably wasn’t the “safest” one to do and that it would be easier to use a tried-and-true method. I don’t think you need to re-invent the wheel every time. I think a lot of times for a lot of people the wheel is just fine.

I think it’s probably possible to make any front end work on just about any bike. There is a point, however, where you’re seeing diminishing returns based on the difficulty of mating dissimilar parts together. For someone so caught up in the idea of being a good reader, you maybe should go read my original post again.

You bolted a front end to a bike. You didn’t walk on water. I’m sure the people who did this mod have thanked you, but if not I thank you on their behalf. You have done a great service to this forum and are (obviously) a wonderful, warm-hearted person. This doesn’t in any way detract from the fact that you’re acting like a turd.

See you in a week, I guess.

Good luck in your mod, Sean.