Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork swap question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Fork swap question

Hey everybody. I know there are various how to's listed on here and I've searched through them. Forgive me for making anyone repeat old info. I'm in the process of swapping an rc51 front end onto my superhawk. One thing I've not seen mentioned is that it appears right off the bat that the stops on the lower triple clamp need to be ground/cut down. Any folks out there done this particular swap? If so what was the best option with clip ons so everything clears. I also read that "minor mods" needed to be done to the stock superhawk controls, but didn't see what exactly that was. Thanks in advance for your help and if I've missed some info on there regarding this particular swap a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Come on guys, I just like to "measure twice and cut once." I paid alot of money for these parts and before I start cutting stuff I just thought I'd get a little feedback from someone who may have done this before. I built this whole bike from an engine and a frame but obviously you can't look in a service manual for this type of thing. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Squid

Bluerope1 is on a distinguished road
If no reply here, try TLPlanet.com, those guys are the gurus to modifications on all types of twins.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Come on Beau, what did I tell you before! The stops don't "have" to be ground down to use it but they do if you want the steering lock to work. Use tapered head bearings from the RC they install with no problem. As far as the clip-ons use the RC clip-ons and mount them above the triples. The forks should be the same length as the VTR forks so it shouldn't be a problem. With the controls The only mod you might have to do is to grind the little tabs so you can put them whever you want or drill holes in the RC clip-ons. If you need anything else let me know and those TL boys have got nothin on us for mods.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:42 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Hey thanks Mike, yeah I have a bare frame I got I'm trying this out on and I remember you telling me all this. Maybe I'm just stupid or 15 hr work days are making me crazy but those steering stops that stick up on the rc51 lower triple are hitting the lower of the two gauge bracket mounting tabs on the neck of the superhawk frame and only allowing the forks to move a very small amount in each direction. Am I missing something here?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 PM
MotoGP

I was just playing with ya. If you want we could meet up and I could show you the triples on mine. I'm pretty sure the RC triples are very similar to the 929/954 triples and you can see what kind of movement I've got. I didn't grind mine down and the only time I notice is when I move it around in the garage or driveway really.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

I appreciate that. I think I see the problem-the lower triple is not similar. CBR and Superhawk lower triples are flat, whereas the RC51 is curved upwards in the middle, which makes the clearance problem worse. If you look up the ones for sale on ebay just for a reference you'll see what I mean. That's why I asked because I was wondering if anyone actually used RC51 triples and what did they do. It looks like I would have to cut off almost the entire stop on the triple to clear the mounting tab on the frame, and then I don't think there would be enough material left to both clear and function as a stop. Maybe I need to use a 929 or 954 lower triple (I believe they are also 43mm? Is the width the same as an RC51 triple?) and if so would I still use the same rc51 tapered bearings or have to buy two different sets for top and bottom triple? Or maybe then I would have to change both triples. Like I said this is uncharted territory here for me and I can't refer to a service manual. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:56 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I think that triples changed from '01 to '02 on the RC51. I had an '02 and I know there were changes to the forks between the years. Problem is I can't remember exactly what the difference is. You can try this link to find more info: http://speedzilla.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:32 AM
MotoGP

That's right I forgot about the shape. What you could do is grind down the stops on the RC triple and find where it would hit stuff, then drill 2 holes and insert some nuts and bolts. There's at least one guy on here that had the RC front end on his bike, (RCVTR), and I think he just ground them down and left it. You could buy new triples if you wanted, the forks are the same 51mm on the top triple and 53mm on the lower, but I'm sure you could do it the way I said as well.

Here's the link to the thread about it and he did just cut them off, some good info in it.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...hread.php?t=51
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah that's some good info. That's what I figured may be my option with the current parts. I guess I'll have to grind them down so they clear and then either put some bolts into the triple or the bottom of the frame to make it stop in the right place. Guess I'll just take my time. Like I said it's good I have a bare frame to try everything out on first so it makes the work easier. I have to say these forks look so darn cool and I can't wait to feel the difference. Thanks for everyone's help. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to for this but as I get some results I'll let everyone know.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey Captain,

I am just about done collecting my parts for my RC51 front swap. I need some advice on which triples to pick up. IF I use some RC-51 triples from an 04 which steering head bearings should I use since the SP2 has a different stem size?? Is the outer diameter the same as the SP1 and the superhawk

Thanks Dennis
Old 04-06-2007, 04:58 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey KC...

My unerstanding is the RC SP-2 lower triple wont work/fit our frames. I'd stick to either an RC SP-1 or CBR 929/954 lowers.

J.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:30 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. I guess I got lucky because initally I didn't know the difference but I ended up with the sp1 triples, which fit fine. If you go to allballsracing.com they'll show you the bearing kit part# you'll need. I didn't do it but if you're able to I would say to also try out the cbr lower triple as if may give you better fairing clearance as well.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Back Marker

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick responses, I am just getting a little antsy to get all of my parts collected for my swap. I just saw a set of sp2 triples on ebay and was wondering if they would fit. The 929.954, SP1 triples on ebay and the forums have dried up over the last 2 weeks! If you guys here of any parts would you please drop me a line.

Hey slowhawk send me the info on the 954 clip-ons when you get a chance! I think that I will mount the bars above the triples after reading the posts in this thread since I have the RC-51 forks. Will the 954 clip-ons hit the upper part of the fairing?? I have so many questions

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...p&pagenumber=3

Interesting thread on another forum, check out the blue bike on page 3

Thanks Dennis
Old 04-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yes, I believe BobH is Bob Hayashida, a well-known VTR guru and tuner. On the yellow bike, note the larger oil cooler at the bottom and the additional radiator where the stock oil cooler was. See the braced swingarm? What you can't see is the additional bracing they used on the frame as well. Although they successfully raced the bike I don't believe it ever took any podium finishes.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Back Marker

Yes that is who it is. I live by Sears Point/Infineon and that is his local track. I have seen the yellow bike in person a few times when he was at Sears racing.

Dennis
Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Squid

davidhartley is an unknown quantity at this point
954rr front end swap

I'm gathering parts to do a 954rr front end swap.

I've got forks, triples, & calipers @ $350 -- and have seen some going for that on eBay recently .. seems to be the going rate. RC51 seems to be around $400.
Shipping is gonna be $50 or more unless you can find local, as I did.

Will share info as the project progresses.
Located in Berkeley, CA.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Back Marker

Hey Dave,

I am just up the rode in Vacaville, we should get together and help one and other do the front end swaps, once someone gets all of the parts together.

Later Dennis
Old 04-07-2007, 06:08 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Hey Dennis, I mounted the 954 bars below the triple and the height is perfect. They clear the fairings perfect however they will bump the gauges if you turn far enough...which is the next thing to figure out...