General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 03:08 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one that thinks every time there is an update the price goes up $500? I'd say you are up to around $1500-2000 by now. Even so, it will be interesting to hear what the Japanese distributor tells you.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
any reply from japan on the carbs yet????
Old 10-25-2008, 03:14 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
if anyone is interested in these carbs just contact sudco andtalk to them.
that would be the best bet.
i havent my self,but i have looked in the catalog and see nothing for us.
could probably adapt the sv kit it uses 41mm.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Any updates on this? With flatslides and a fuel pump, I could probably get a turbo setup that runs well. This is how the ZRX guys tend to do it.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
This might be of interest to someone...

....By the way, it is possible to get FCR carbs for the Firestorm in case you
weren't aware....

Regards,

Steve

Steven Panter
Allens Performance Ltd
Unit B9
Moorbridge Road
Bingham
Notts
NG13 8GG

Company Reg No 6021772

Tel: 01949 836733
Fax: 01949 836734

Web: www.allensperformance.co.uk
E-mail: steve@allensperformance.co.uk
Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Squid

cnw126 is on a distinguished road
Just to let everyone know.

People have started doing this mod on KTM 950's. Supermoto, Adventure, Superenduro ect... Pretty much all the carb 950's. Adventure Machines Northwest (39mm) sells a kit for them. $$$. http://www.advmachines.com/KTM_950_FCR_p/fcr1039.htm

I have been reading some threads on ADVrider and the results have been positive but no Dyno #'s.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:55 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
FYI, I just sent an e-mail to Allens Performance Ltd in the UK to enquire about their kits. I had sent a request some time ago to a supplier in Japan (a name given to me by Sudco, whom I had contacted only to be told they offered no such kit) yet never got a reply. Maybe I can luck out and get info this time around.

cheers
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
While I am interested in the outcome if anyone tries this I have my doubts it will be much of an improvement. The reason for this thought is that both HRC and Moriwaki used the CV carbs when they built the race VTRs. If the gain were so outstanding why didn't they use them?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
While I am interested in the outcome if anyone tries this I have my doubts it will be much of an improvement. The reason for this thought is that both HRC and Moriwaki used the CV carbs when they built the race VTRs. If the gain were so outstanding why didn't they use them?
Costly and little benefit?
I'd only use them with a turbo build.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Big benefit I reckon. I know a guy that had a set, and when I asked him the result his response was "More power everywhere".

The other factor is your intake. On the VTR we all know that you cannot remove the snorkel or put a bigger (oversize) airfilter in or remove the lid, as the bike runs like crap. But if you have carbs that do not require vacuum to operate then you can run a more open intake. More air = more power. The guy I know just ran pod filters with them.

As for why HRC and Moriwaki did not use them, who knows. Perhaps the racing regs did not allow a carb swap.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Squid

Dr Honda is on a distinguished road
Just an FYI...

The guys with the DRZ400 love the FCR swap. The bike comes with a 36mm CV type carb, and we swap it out with a FCR39 mx. The swap is good for about 5hp, and once tuned, there are no dead spots, and the throttle response is instant. Also... the FCR is not affected by large bumps. (important while off-road)

The dirt only version of the bike came with the old slant style FCR from he factory, but the on/off road and SM versions got neutered by the EPA. (carb, lower compression, and cams)

I did the swap on my personal DRZ, and it was the best thing I've done so far. I know the Superhawk needs 2 of them... but if you are running on a track, it's worth the mod.

Name:  PB090391.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  108.6 KB
Old 12-02-2009, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

Going from a 36 mm CV carb to a 39 mm slide carb (as on the DR swap) is a HUGE change (as CV carbs, to get equivalent flow, are typically larger). In the case of the VTR, you`d be going from a 48 mm CV to a 41 mm FCR, more of an equivalent change.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:25 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its a different engine but I swapped FCR onto an older honda cb1100F a couple years ago - and have ridden a friends side by side. There is perhaps a bit more power, but its not very impressive. The biggest changes (good and bad):
good: immediate response since its direct life slide (of course too much lift and it bogs so slightly different riding still for WFO), loose ugly airbox (on the 1100 at least), much much easier to tune:make a lot of clicking as the slide slaps around with each power pulse at idle
bad: no choke, probably less of an issue on the SH, but on a cold blooded bike it makes starting and warm up more difficult; required changing the wire to sheath length of the throttle cable even though set up for the 1100f from sudco, expensive; make a lot of clicking!
overall, its neat to have them, but not sure of the overall benefit in a stock motor at least. of course loving to tinker with these thigns it would be very fun to try
Old 12-02-2009, 06:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Zedicus
i am talking to someone from sudco about this.

we need atleast 10, though i forgot to ask if they have to be ordered in multiples of 10 or if anything past 10 is acceptable.

thanx shayne, u was the guy i was thinking of but couldnt remember yur name off hand
intersting, I called Sudco and was told they couldn,t do it....

anyhow, I got a reply from my e-mal, here it is:
Hi Michael,

We can offer a kit using the Keihin FCR carbs in 41mm. There are 2 options, one using velocity stacks, the other airbox adaptors.

The prices are:
£1169.64+VAT and delivery.
£1352.39+VAT and delivery.

Quote reference is 11871.

Kind Regards,

Fran

Allens Performance Ltd
Unit B9
Moorbridge Road
Bingham
Notts
NG13 8GG

pretty expensive IMO

cheers
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
The prices are:
£1169.64+VAT and delivery.
£1352.39+VAT and delivery.

pretty expensive IMO

cheers

as of today 1200 pounds = 2000 USD.
And thats only 2 carbs!! I got all 4 for a quarter of that. they must know inline 4 guys are cheaper than Vtwin guys - all those ducatisti running up the costs!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
MotoGP

Yep, waaaaaaay too much in my opinion....
Old 12-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by shayne
The other factor is your intake. On the VTR we all know that you cannot remove the snorkel or put a bigger (oversize) airfilter in or remove the lid, as the bike runs like crap. But if you have carbs that do not require vacuum to operate then you can run a more open intake. More air = more power. The guy I know just ran pod filters with them.
The Moriwaki bile was running no air filter and ram air, so it can be done......
Old 12-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Squid

Yup... I don't think you would get $2k's worth of upgrade.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 12-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Here is a new one on Ebay starting at $400 US. The guy has a couple of them so it could be possible to get both for under a grand.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-02-2009, 08:15 AM
MotoGP

Not sure if that would work as I think the ones made to be mounted at an angle are a slightly different design. You also have to consider the whole issue of fabricating the brackets to hold them together, as well as the linkage to have them open together. While not impossible, it could sure be a source of frustration.....
Old 12-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Gregw
Here is a new one on Ebay starting at $400 US. The guy has a couple of them so it could be possible to get both for under a grand.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...Q5fAccessories

Those would be harder to make work. You need the downdraft version.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
Bingo!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
My bad, I didn't realize FCRs came in a sidedraft flavor. Here are some used ones for a Ducati monster http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducat...item414b156394
I'm still on the lookout for some Mikuni TDMRs.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
You also have to consider the whole issue of fabricating the brackets to hold them together, as well as the linkage to have them open together. While not impossible, it could sure be a source of frustration.....
Or a challenge. Here is a conversion I did with 3 Mikuni HSRs on my Austin Healey.
Attached Thumbnails FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!-mikuni_hsr.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
SuperSport

The Moriwaki bile was running no air filter and ram air, so it can be done......

I have run a more open intake on my bike too. It made great power and felt fantastic when you cracked the throttle. It would have been great on the track, but it was no good on the street. You could not dial out the flat spots.

Have you ever had any experience with a HRC jet kit? It runs different needles (very rich) and blocks off an air jet in each carb. Mains end up in the 150 range from memory. The end result was the same though. Good on the track but not the street. This was in a friends bike, not mine. He reckons the flat slides were a big improvement.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
found this on the net; fcr's installed and nice crankcase breather/ oil catch tank!

Last edited by ff; 12-19-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

MC Leather is on a distinguished road
Not my Moriwaki bike. It has the stock filter and intake. The rest of the motor is the stage III build. The ram air bike was more of a test, it was a time bomb and didn't add much power.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by MC Leather
Not my Moriwaki bike. It has the stock filter and intake. The rest of the motor is the stage III build. The ram air bike was more of a test, it was a time bomb and didn't add much power.
Very true. I didn't mean to say that they were all that way. They did get it to run pretty good but the small gain wasn't worth the need for constant eng. rebuilds from sucking so much dirt. I onlt mentioned it because when I got the HRC jet ket set up notes from Bob H. it was listed as one of the set ups, of course he also said that you would be crazy to run it.

And yes he did say the stock filter and intake made the most power
Old 12-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Rama is on a distinguished road
Mhhh... interesting!!!

I have 4 FCR 41 carbs (of my Kawasaki ZX-7RR)... i want to look if it's possible (and how...) install in the VTR engine...

i've also a modified carbon air-box in my VTR, so.........

But i'm perplessed about the increase of performance: I have 2 Kawasaki ZX-7R model (1 R and 1 RR), the first have 39 carbs, the second 41 FCR: I've try to install in the R the FCR carbs, but at dyno the improvement was very low... the only difference, it's a very great throttle response... FCR are very "nervous", and need of a great work in air/fuel calibration, or go bad... According to the weather can go very well or very badly, from one day to another...
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 PM
SuperSport

That is what my friend said too Rama. Work very well, but needed patience to set them up properly.

Quick Reply: FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!