General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
CV carbs typically require a larger diameter (think back to when CV carbs began to appear on road bikes in the later 70`s/early 80`s, they had significatnly larger diameter than the slide carbs they replaced) so going to a 41 mm FCR would not be a problem IMHO.
yup, in my opinion CV carbs loose efficiency and have more parts to break. some of them do have more tuning options but not ours. so going to 41mm FCR carbs on a hawk should do a number of things, pick up power, improve throttle response by leaps and bounds, and i would imagine that it would improve fuel mileage.

honestly im not sure what the benefits CV carbs are spose to have, i dont know why any manufacturer would use them on something.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I guess it's like the new e-throttle bikes that interfere with the driver inputs, the damn slide is a second throttle that smooth things out. I'll go check out what the KTM guys use on 510cc singles on thumpertalk

Edit : The 530 EXC uses a 39mm FCR carb stock, not much talk about swapping it for better, the jug is a 510cc and rev about 7500 rpm

Last edited by gboezio; 08-24-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
CV carbs are used as they are better suited to the lean jet settings required to meet EPA regs. Prior to their use, bikes with slide carbs would hiccup and buck under throttle, soemthing CV carbs practically did away with. While I think there would some merit to trying the FCR's on the VTR, I can attest that my VTR with a properly set Dynojet kit has wicked throttle response; to date, I have not yet ridden a fuel injected bike (granted I haven't ridden them all) that even comes close.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Superstock

a well set up slide carb should not hiccup or buck, my cbr 600 f2 with fcr's certainly did not, and my fourwheelers with pwk carbs certainly do not. and fuel injection does hav its upside, but i am more use to using carbs and havent had a bike with fuel injection stock. ive got a set of throttle bodies and stuff to do fuel injection on my hawk, but dont have the time to build the wire harness and stuff.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Superstock

UPDATE:

not anything too important, i talked to the dealer and he said it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks to get pricing info when it has to come from japan. he will let me know as soon as he hears back from them.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Did they (or can they) give you a ballpark on the cost? Certainly they have imported enough carbs to have an idea. I think this is very important. You are asking for interest, I guarantee that more interest exists for a $400 set of carbs than what exists for a $2000 set. I would be really surprised if these carbs were under $750. Getting an idea of this now could really save you time in the future. Honestly, I think you are going to have a lot of trouble finding 10 people to buy. I'd love to see this happen, but I'm trying to stay realistic about it at the same time.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Superstock

i can buy 2 bare FCR downdraft carbs at about 400$ each. now that still is not a great estimate as i can get 4 of the same carbs ready to connect to a 900RR for like 995$ shipped to my door. so im going to guess ROUGHLY that they would be between 600$ and 1000$.

this is me guessing based on what places sale that type of carb for though.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Superstock

also, i just found out he can do anything over 10, so if we end up with 12 or 17 or however many peeple then its all good!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Did they (or can they) give you a ballpark on the cost? Certainly they have imported enough carbs to have an idea. I think this is very important. You are asking for interest, I guarantee that more interest exists for a $400 set of carbs than what exists for a $2000 set. I would be really surprised if these carbs were under $750. Getting an idea of this now could really save you time in the future. Honestly, I think you are going to have a lot of trouble finding 10 people to buy. I'd love to see this happen, but I'm trying to stay realistic about it at the same time.

getting to 10 is my concern also. Judging from the Ducati carbs I'm guessing Jamie is right on with price close to $800 - these superhawk guys are cheap bastards! or we'd all have new bikes! So you might want to start a new post - "interest in FCR carbs?" and suppose a price at $800 just to start some PR towards getting going.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:21 AM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
what's the difference between the dirt/mx versions versus the street versions of the fcr carb? i've seen a few of the dirt/mx 41 fcr on ebay. why can't we use those?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Superstock

the dirt/mx FCR carbs are sidedraft. we need downdraft. some of the other street bikes use them, i say a used set of 4 off of a 900rr on ebay that i almost bought, the worst part would be building or modifing the brackets and throttle linkages.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Adding to the possibilities could be the Mikuni TDMRs. They have a 40 and 41mm downdraft with accelerator pumps. Here's a photo of the kit for a Ducati 900ss. Sudco's website is down at the moment (probably for the holiday). They may have some info on them. They look like they are similar to the HSRs. Being that they are flat slides without butterflies.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gboezio
I guess it's like the new e-throttle bikes that interfere with the driver inputs, the damn slide is a second throttle that smooth things out. I'll go check out what the KTM guys use on 510cc singles on thumpertalk

Edit : The 530 EXC uses a 39mm FCR carb stock, not much talk about swapping it for better, the jug is a 510cc and rev about 7500 rpm

Were putting 41mm FCR carbs on the DRZ S/SM model bikes with major improvment in throttle response and power. Im sure that the SH would be much happier with FCR's... we just need somebody to pony up and try it
Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cal2az
Were putting 41mm FCR carbs on the DRZ S/SM model bikes with major improvment in throttle response and power. Im sure that the SH would be much happier with FCR's... we just need somebody to pony up and try it
actually, we need 10 somebodies!!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Idiot
Squid

rossthompson is on a distinguished road
I would be interested if the price was under $750 for the setup.

The factories went to CV for a multitude of reasons, one of which is that they are idiot proof and you can whack the throttle open at 2000rpm without the bike dying. I have installed a few sets on 1st gen SV650 race bikes and they work great, usually worth a couple of hp but def. easier to tune. The Triumph guys buy the CR carbs and expect them to be as rideable as stock but they can't whack open the throttle at low revs. other than that they rock.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by cliby
actually, we need 10 somebodies!!

My bad, I stand corrected
Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
SuperBike

ZEDICUS
suggest as soon as you get pricing you start a new post for a head count on FCR carbs. I'm guessing from this thread there may be 6 or so, but there might be others to get near 10.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:51 PM
SuperBike

video of FCR on 1100F honda

here is a little clip of the FCR carbs on an older 1100F. Its a windy day, and this is from a cold start. The carbs are set up correctly, they have an accelerator pump as well. They are flatslide carbs - the slide is a direct lift flat hard plastic - it rattles slightly with the engine pulses so it clickety-clacks away at idle - most enthusiasts of these carbs really like that for some reason. Once reving the pulses quicken and the slide moves up and the clicking goes away you don't here it. Anyway, easy starting and warms up relatively quickly unless the bike has sat for awhile. Not sure if you can tell the throttle response on the video but much better than the older stock carbs were. The exhaust is muted due to auto-senser on the camera mic, but the carbs sounds about right for actual sound.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...1100f%20video/
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

here is a little clip of the FCR carbs on an older 1100F. Its a windy day, and this is from a cold start. The carbs are set up correctly, they have an accelerator pump as well. They are flatslide carbs - the slide is a direct lift flat hard plastic - it rattles slightly with the engine pulses so it clickety-clacks away at idle - most enthusiasts of these carbs really like that for some reason. Once reving the pulses quicken and the slide moves up and the clicking goes away you don't here it. Anyway, easy starting and warms up relatively quickly unless the bike has sat for awhile. Not sure if you can tell the throttle response on the video but much better than the older stock carbs were. The exhaust is muted due to auto-senser on the camera mic, but the carbs sounds about right for actual sound.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...1100f%20video/

That clickity clack would drive me nuts! It almost sounds as bad as the dry clutches on Ducatis. Impressive response for a cold start!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Squid

DimSTriple is on a distinguished road
I would also be interested of buying a set of these...

I've ridden a Ducati SS900 with FCRs and the difference is hard to believe unless you ride the bike (same difference goes for singles like KTM Duke, or Duke II, LC4, XR 's etc...)

FCR's wont give more power (maybe 3-4 hp) over standard carbs but will give a lot more throttle response and make the bike rev a LOT faster...

Ps. An since someone mentioned about a great full system for our beloved vtr... check this system...
http://www.moto-works.jp/k_factory/m.../honda.html#h5

Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

Originally Posted by DimSTriple
Ps. An since someone mentioned about a great full system for our beloved vtr... check this system...
http://www.moto-works.jp/k_factory/m.../honda.html#h5

$2300 for the exhaust...im good, ill stick with slip ons and jet hot the header.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:51 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by cal2az
That clickity clack would drive me nuts! It almost sounds as bad as the dry clutches on Ducatis. Impressive response for a cold start!
yeah, its an acquired taste I guess, not sure I like it either but the response is nice. And like I said mostly audible only at idle, even just off idle it goes away. I would guess with the carbs buried on the V-twin it would be less noticeable as well
Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

yeah, its an acquired taste I guess, not sure I like it either but the response is nice. And like I said mostly audible only at idle, even just off idle it goes away. I would guess with the carbs buried on the V-twin it would be less noticeable as well

I guess I should have added that if the gains were good enough then I would be more than happy to live with the noise at idle.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Superstock

UPDATE copied directly from the email:
Doug,
I found out what the delay is. The carb set for the VTR1000 was originally made for a Keihin distributor over seas, Japan is working to see if they will be able to offer it to us as well. Our contact is going to Japan next week, we are hoping to find out then.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Boy, every time you get an update I can't help but think that the price is going up... and up... and up...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Superstock

to me it sounds like they just arent that popular. what im hoping that means is there is a box of them in keihin japans back room that havent sold and they are wondering what the heck to do with them. we come along and ask about them and they are more then happy to part with them for a couple hundred dollars. (wishfull thinking, probably. possible, maybe.)
Old 09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
http://cgi.ebay.com/KEIHIN-FCR-41-mm...3286.m20.l1116

i'm guessing they're similar to these.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Subscribe
Old 09-09-2008, 02:32 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Zedicus
to me it sounds like they just arent that popular. what im hoping that means is there is a box of them in keihin japans back room that havent sold and they are wondering what the heck to do with them. we come along and ask about them and they are more then happy to part with them for a couple hundred dollars. (wishfull thinking, probably. possible, maybe.)

I'm doubting that is the case, but who knows. For most of the others I believe the 'set-up' component which is a critical aspect to having these be workable out of the box, usually occurs at SUDCO in the US. So they may have parts somewhere in japan, but even that seems odd, as I'm betting the 41mm size is used in a lot of applications - perhaps the brackets for spacing and fittings for the engine as a package. We'll see, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is an option.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Superstock

UPDATE: carbs are propriatary to the keihin japan distributor. im going to see if i can contact them (in english i hope) and see if i can work out a way to get some of them to the states.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!