General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!

here in the states, but they dont have enough normal interest to carry them because they have to buy them in sets of 10. so im going to through this out, possible group buy for FCR carbs that will bolt on to the VTR, im getting pricing and stuff now, should know in a day or so.

lets start with just posting in here if your interested and see if even 10 people would want to try something like this.

(i didnt see a group buy section in the forum? am i blind or is there not one?)
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Ok, i'll admit it, I don't know what FCR carbs.

Are they an improvement over stock?

More info please.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Man, that sounds like a $1000 set of carbs to me. If it's something reasonable I would be interested.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I'd love to hear some actual users- experience with these on this bike. Anyone know of any? I have had sets on older inline 4s and the outcome has been variable - nice response, easier jetting but there are some inconveniences living with them day to day also - and are these FCR's with the accelerator pump or without.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:31 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
but there are some inconveniences living with them day to day also

Please elaborate. I've had a limited amount of experience with FCR carbs but everything has been positive. There were no streetability issues at all. This was also on an inline 4, for what that's worth.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Superstock

on the I4's and dirtbikes/atv's that ive used them on ive had nothing but good luck with them. compared to the cv carbs on the hawk they are a dream to tune, plus it would allow for easy tuning even with the airbox removed.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Please elaborate. I've had a limited amount of experience with FCR carbs but everything has been positive. There were no streetability issues at all. This was also on an inline 4, for what that's worth.

Most of the concerns come with initial development and setup. I have used them primarily in applications when the diameter has been well established and physical carb spacing all worked out. As too large/too small is a problem in optimal tuning. Trying to apply to a new setup can be a lot of time/effort/money. I don't want to spend $6-800 on the carbs and do the development work myself only to find out I have the wrong size. So that is my biggest concern - I'd want to know that we are getting a carb that will work well and is spaced/set up in the ballpark first and for what type of airbox. I also do not know if losing the engine coolant circulation would effect fueling on these bikes - I have never rerouted the circulation to see if the stock carbs benefit from it or not, but it was designed in for some reason.

Regarding Day to day use, having an 'accelerator pump' helps a lot (don't know if these have that). But losing the choke, depending on the temperature extremes you ride in, is sometimes a problem with initial starting and warm up. Also, as great as the improved response is, down low fueling is sometimes too abrupt for smooth around town riding. Depends on how one will use the bike and how the FCRs work on big bore twins.

I believe their is some experience with Ducatis and even SV (at least 650) engines that would be relevant.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:22 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Zedicus
on the I4's and dirtbikes/atv's that ive used them on ive had nothing but good luck with them. compared to the cv carbs on the hawk they are a dream to tune, plus it would allow for easy tuning even with the airbox removed.

those are the limits of my experience too - but as I said above, always in the context of being very close with the initial setup and sizing based on someone else's trial and error. So, my question is simply, does that experience exist for this engine?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Superstock

there is some experience on the net with these carbs on superhawks. also keihin makes the stock carb and keihin makes the 41mm fcr kit for the vtr. im going to guess they knew what they are doing.

there is a member on here who knows a guy that got an fcr carb kit for his hawk, and there is a couple of webpages that come up if you search on yahoo or google.

and im running the stock carbs with no coolant lines on them and i live in KS, we have everything from below freezing to 100+ temps and ive never had a problem.

the no choke on the FCR's that i have used has never been an issue.

i dont know if they are accelerator pumped, i can ask next time i talk to the guy though.

(almost every site ive came across that has tech talk on fcr carbs for the vtr is in japanese...)
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Squid

Tysonb is on a distinguished road
Zedicus, sorry to post jump, but I read you are in kansas. I am in Wichita. Also ironic is that you joined on my birthday.

Anyway, what part of kansas?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Superstock

im out in garden city man. tis like 3.5 hours from you.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:37 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Zedicus
there is some experience on the net with these carbs on superhawks. also keihin makes the stock carb and keihin makes the 41mm fcr kit for the vtr. im going to guess they knew what they are doing.

there is a member on here who knows a guy that got an fcr carb kit for his hawk, and there is a couple of webpages that come up if you search on yahoo or google.

and im running the stock carbs with no coolant lines on them and i live in KS, we have everything from below freezing to 100+ temps and ive never had a problem.

the no choke on the FCR's that i have used has never been an issue.

i dont know if they are accelerator pumped, i can ask next time i talk to the guy though.

(almost every site ive came across that has tech talk on fcr carbs for the vtr is in japanese...)
I'm sure they knew what they were doing, of course its also possible they weren't intending them for a stock motor as not many casual owners are going to be swapping carbs. I'm as nutty as anyone for modifying these things, and would probably be one of the interested parties for a purchase. But I'd just like to hear some experiences that go beyond some guys knows a guy etc. I can't find anything, but this whole internets are very confusing to me. If you have some info, or useful links, post them. the choke is an issue, but obviously not a huge one, but there is a tradeoff of course.

bill
Old 08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
With the accel pump it's no biggie, open the throttle a few times and start, it will feel like a dirtbike.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
i am interested count me in what is the price??
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm... an accelerator pump would be mighty nice...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:57 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
so what the heck is this thing??
Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Superstock

small update:

this carbs DO have accelerator pumps, also keihin USA is in the process of contacting keihin JAPAN for pricing, and then they will get back to the distributor that i am talking to. aparently no one this side of the pond has ever ordered these before, but they are saying they are fairly popular in japan.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM
SuperBike

I couldn't find any SH info. the duc guys like them for their twins - lots of info on those - all very positive.
are you talking to SUDCO? and how many interested do you need?

j shizzy- do a search or go to the keihin fcr site. the are smoth bore direct lift , no cv, carss with flat slides. think four stroke dirt carb - instant response and simplified tuning process
Old 08-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Superstock

heres a myspace with a video, there was a japanese webpage that i seen the other day that had a small writeup about them, in japanese. if i find it again i will link it too.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/vtr/2589423157

top right video shows the carbs
Old 08-23-2008, 03:50 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
That guy that knows the other guy is me.

He and I discussed the FCR carbs quite a lot, so I heard all about his experience with them. I have tried to contact him recently for something else without luck though, so I most probably won't be able to get any more info for you.

He has 41mm FCR's with pod filters, and reckons that they provide more power everywhere in the rev range. I was concerned that they might not be as streetable as the CV's, but he reckoned they work fine in the traffic.

His only reservation was that it takes longer to set them up the first time, as the FCR has more adjustments that can be made compared to the CV.

His bike has an awesome full exhaust system (best I have ever seen!) and pod filters, but no internal modifications. The flat slide carbs don't need an airbox to work properly.

That is about all I know. I don't remember what the dyno figures were though.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Superstock

i am talking to someone from sudco about this.

we need atleast 10, though i forgot to ask if they have to be ordered in multiples of 10 or if anything past 10 is acceptable.

thanx shayne, u was the guy i was thinking of but couldnt remember yur name off hand
Old 08-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
*waits for new carb price*
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
*waits for money to magically appear in account*
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Superstock

its the weekend, i would imagine i wouldnt here back on pricing till this coming week, especially since they had to contact keihin japan.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:19 PM
roll through
Squid

vtrider is on a distinguished road
**** I would love to know,seeing as I have an account w/ sudco :teeth
Old 08-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Az/Texas Rider
Back Marker

cal2az is on a distinguished road
Im watching this thread with interest to see what develops. I know that the DRZ400 runs much stronger with the FCR carb on it. I would have to believe that the VTR would see much improvement with the FCR's as well.

Last edited by cal2az; 08-24-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:13 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

It will lift the front easily, the power will knock to the back door violently
Old 08-24-2008, 07:49 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I'm curious if the smaller venturi (41mm vs. 48mm) would have any effect. Limit on the top end?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Not sure but the throats and boots are smaller than 48 mm, my guess is not too bad, but the pods filters, no likey, I would rather retain the airbox since the tank space is lost anyway, may be a biotch to fit tough...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:58 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
CV carbs typically require a larger diameter (think back to when CV carbs began to appear on road bikes in the later 70`s/early 80`s, they had significatnly larger diameter than the slide carbs they replaced) so going to a 41 mm FCR would not be a problem IMHO.

Quick Reply: FCR CARBS FOR VTR1000 FOUND!