General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Facepalm this place....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:18 PM
Squid

CrickiKaze is on a distinguished road
Facepalm this place(HI)....

WTF Hawaii......

Pulled the frame off to get it properly inspected and come to find out no one on this island is certified to do such things, all they can do is go off of the wheel base measurements, cause you know....that's accurate....MF.

end rant

Last edited by CrickiKaze; 08-21-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Hey is Kalaheo still under construction? Seems like every 6-8 years the road gets torn up for a year or so. I'm thinking it's a generational make work project starting in the early '60's if not before.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrickiKaze
WTF Hawaii......

Pulled the frame off to get it properly inspected and come to find out no one on this island is certified to do such things, all they can do is go off of the wheel base measurements, cause you know....that's accurate....MF.
You pulled the frame off to be properly inspected for what?

Are you thinking that it's common in most motorcycle shops in the contiguous US states to have some type of alignment set up that verifies frame alignment? A non destruction metallurgic inspection station? Cuzzz, ahh, not that i've ever seen....... Such things available? sure, for a price in a very select few shops... about as common as shops that will custom make you a full set of leathers....IOW, not common or even close to it.

That there is no shop in HI which will "inspect" your non current, out of production "vintage" motorcycle frame... is not surprising at all.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I guess the real question is why did you pull the frame, what was the problem you think you have? From what I've seen is the frames are fairly stout but the subframes take a beating.

Having said that I bought a 2002 frame and swingarm because I knew the 98 I had just bought had a bent subframe and thought there might be frame damage, there wasn't.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
Hey is Kalaheo still under construction? Seems like every 6-8 years the road gets torn up for a year or so. I'm thinking it's a generational make work project starting in the early '60's if not before.
Unfortunately I am not familiar with that road, but they have been doing what could be unnecessary road work and repair work on roads.
Originally Posted by HRCA#1
I guess the real question is why did you pull the frame, what was the problem you think you have? From what I've seen is the frames are fairly stout but the subframes take a beating.

Having said that I bought a 2002 frame and swingarm because I knew the 98 I had just bought had a bent subframe and thought there might be frame damage, there wasn't.
Bike apparently went down while the retard was doing a wheelie destroyed a lot of things, clutch cover, tach, fairing support bracket which broke the lower support off the frame and you can probable get the full pic. I would load them up but I don't want to flood with pics.

Do I believe the frame was damaged, no, not from what I can tell inside or out, even on the welds and there is no visual damage to it either but in reality that doesn't mean anything. Seemed straight and the only concern would be the forks, I have to look over them again but that also didn't have any damage, but again that doesn't mean much.

Short end of a long story, was going to turn it into a street for a co-worker.

I have edited the OP to ensure everyone that I'm just venting, don't want someone going off the deep end.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Squid

Oh, I will also be parting out the bike and if someone was going to buy the frame I would like to tell them, you know, they won't die from a frame breaking apart on them.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrickiKaze
Oh, I will also be parting out the bike and if someone was going to buy the frame I would like to tell them, you know, they won't die from a frame breaking apart on them.
Makes sense.....

Alignment is going to be a tough one.. but you could do it your self with some non stretch nylon cord and some careful compare left to right.

One weld or base metal integrity.. perhaps look to a place that does structural welding? portable x ray machines are often used to inspect welds post job...maybe you could meet them at a job site and get a discount as it would just be an add on...not a full contracted job?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
my bike is has suffered the same the TS
also clutch cover and fairing stay broke
and some cosmetic damage,
i never once worried about the frame, and got both things welded
and it had to get it recertified again and everything is good
so i highly doubt that your frame is tweaked but that said i never rode a bike with a twisted or broken frame the latter would be difficult

100 post
Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
GMD computrack does lazer frame measuring to insure that it is spot on from factory specs. BUT, they dont make you strip it naked because what kind of a sick nut would do that just to see if a frame is straight.

Oh, uh, sorry. Just that they would get no business that way. The frame is pretty beefy and has "crumple zones" like the fairing cage and subframe.

You should see if there is a similar service in vacation land, though it seems unlikely.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 08-22-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Squid

If the jack *** that I was working on building it as a street fighter for would have been more proactive about looking into things I wouldn't have taken it off. If the bike ran or had a way to transport it would have been easier, live and learn.

I have a place that has tools to check for cracks but I don't know anyone there to get the hook up plus it might be an issue with their command.

I think I'm just gonna nit pick the frame and if I see anything go from there, but like I said it looks good and doubt anything is wrong with it
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
After many years racing I have seen and ridden many crashed bikes that can go right back out and turn fast laps as well as put in many more years service. You gotta really screw things up to destroy a frame.

Are there impact marks or rash on it? Was the fork twisted beyond belief? Even a pretzeled subframe can be replaced and you can move on with your life.

I feel bad for all the work you have to do to re-assemble it. I have swapped motors in these things. But hey, we love wrenching right?
Old 08-23-2014, 03:21 AM
Squid

No damage to the frame seen and fork looked straight and easy to remove from the triple.

Don't plan on putting it back together, I'm just gonna part it out